NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Excellent. Now he can be completely useless at 2b, instead of Util.

There is such a thing as relying too much on advanced stats, particularly in small samples.  This Fangraphs post about the wide gulf between Matt Carpenter's scorching 2021 barrel / exit velocity numb

Not alphabetical order by last name...

7 hours ago, dicka24 said:

[...]  Players like Senzel are why I like to take fewer risks early and wait on OF until later in drafts.   He may amount to nothing but if he plays to his prospect hype, he could be a 2019 Austin Meadows level performer.  OF is where you can find upside like this with little to no draft risk.    I think we could see a 20/20 year from Senzel.

Players like Senzel are why I've learned to just flat-out avoid anyone with a track record of injuries, particularly "soft tissue" injuries.

14 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

What happened?  Is it serious?

He made a nice diving catch but he injured his shoulder when he landed. If you have MLB.TV go to the top of the 4th inning. That's when it happened

Edited by Cdub2k
3 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

He made a nice diving catch but he injured his shoulder when he landed. If you have MLB.TV go to the top of the 4th inning. That's when it happened

Which is what pretty much happened in 2019 when he needed season ending surgery on his shoulder. Sounds to me like they should have kept him in the infield, but there's really no turning back now.

Good news is they don't think it's serious. We should know more tomorrow but the Reds think he'll be back in the lineup this weekend.

8 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Any local fans hear/see anything regarding Senzel's injury?

No, which is a bit concerning. But with a day off yesterday I'm not surprised they haven't said anything yet. I'm expecting an update on him sometime this morning when they release their lineup.

21 minutes ago, SwayzeExpress said:

No, which is a bit concerning. But with a day off yesterday I'm not surprised they haven't said anything yet. I'm expecting an update on him sometime this morning when they release their lineup.

Not in the lineup but also no update on him. The blurbs I'm seeing are saying it's not serious but we will see.

1 hour ago, mehtavg2000 said:

I drafted Senzel for upside.  No way I’m bailing after 3 games.  Let’s see if he can stay healthy now.  Not going to hold my breath but anything is possible.

Co-signed.

But if I need a roster spot, he'll likely be the first to go. 

1 hour ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Nick Senzel...are we being patient (in shallower leagues) or dumping him for some of the other OFs off to hot starts? 

Very context-dependent question.  I think he's a pretty easy cut in 12-team 3 OF mixed leagues where OF depth on the wire includes a lot of similar upside gambles.  In 5 OF leagues, I think there's a case for holding or not depending on who it is you're reaching for.

I just don't know how long he is going to last running around CF, especially with not a great throwing arm.  I can also see him stealing less to help preserve his body longer.

I have moved on, but I can see holding on if there are no better replacements.

For context, of the following drop options, Senzel would probably be no. 1 for me. That's where I stand with him. Love the upside, but you can only give an unproven player so much rope in a shallow league. For context, this is in a saves + holds league

1) Senzel

2) Haniger

3) Montas

4) Garrett

5) Merriweather

6) Duffey

4 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Nick Senzel...are we being patient (in shallower leagues) or dumping him for some of the other OFs off to hot starts? 

Not sure what could have changed between the beginning of season and now to alter your opinion of Senzel or almost anyone else. Maybe if he was your last bench guy and someone good became available. But otherwise, the reasons you drafted him are the reasons to keep him for now.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Not sure what could have changed between the beginning of season and now to alter your opinion of Senzel or almost anyone else. Maybe if he was your last bench guy and someone good became available. But otherwise, the reasons you drafted him are the reasons to keep him for now.

I almost rage dropped him but cooler heads prevailed. Current OF's available in my league include : Badoo. Dickerson, Dahl and Eaton. I'd rather have Senzel than those guys, a HEALTHY Senzel obviously.

Two days later...

Senzel is tied for the major league lead with nine runs scored this season. He's 5-for-14 with five walks, giving him a .526 OBP. He should remain quite valuable for fantasy purposes if he can stay healthy.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Two days later...

Senzel is tied for the major league lead with nine runs scored this season. He's 5-for-14 with five walks, giving him a .526 OBP. He should remain quite valuable for fantasy purposes if he can stay healthy.

[...]

Of course playing the Pirates helps...

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

How are my Nick Senzel truthers doing? Still holding out hope? On a scale of 1 to 10 how confident are you that he'll be good enough to be ownable in shallow leagues? 

It's strange that a prospect that was supposed to have great contact skills, but his power would have to develop, has started his career struggling at the major league level. Granted his rookie season wasn't bad and he's dealt with injuries, but he's yet to become the player he should be.

Doesn't help that Naquin started the season off ridiculously hot, so he's going to continue to play, but he's also not anywhere near that good.  Regular playing time will likely open up again at some point since Naquin is just an average hitter, as long as Senzel wakes up at some point.

If you really need the roster spot, I can't fault somebody for cutting Senzel loose.  Still have to say he's been a disappointment so far in his career.  If he could get hot again for more than a few games, he could force himself back into his everyday role though.