Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Boston Red Sox 2021 Outlook


Recommended Posts

On 2/1/2021 at 8:20 AM, RotoMaster said:

Positive news....they finally convinced Pedroia to retire.   (Hopefully) frees up $12.125 Million this year.    I hope they spend it wisely and don't just toss it in Mr. Henry's bank account.  

The Pedroia and Wright situations were bad for baseball, bad for the franchises, and bad for the players.  These obvious career-ending injury situations that are strung out (largely via intentional misrepresentations and half-arsed rehab attempts) for contractual and insurance purposes.

Baseball needs to figure out a better way to handle occurrences like this ... and lump in debacles like the Chris Davis horror-show going on in Baltimore, as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Overlord said:

The Pedroia and Wright situations were bad for baseball, bad for the franchises, and bad for the players.  These obvious career-ending injury situations that are strung out (largely via intentional misrepresentations and half-arsed rehab attempts) for contractual and insurance purposes.

Baseball needs to figure out a better way to handle occurrences like this ... and lump in debacles like the Chris Davis horror-show going on in Baltimore, as well. 

It would just incentivize bigger market teams to sign mega deals if they could just force them to retire when they are old and get the money off the books and just pay them. That's kind of the issue, but maybe that's a good thing. Angels would have made up some injury with Pujols and he'd have been retired 1-2 years ago.  It would actually help out the bigger market teams and give them more of an advantage.

Edited by brockpapersizer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I shouldn't have mentioned Chris Davis as Pedroia and Wright were in the forefront of my mind.

These guys risking further damage so they can get paid (and so the team's insurance won't be voided due to a "voluntary" retirement) are just ugly situations, IMHO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Overlord said:

I shouldn't have mentioned Chris Davis as Pedroia and Wright were in the forefront of my mind.

These guys risking further damage so they can get paid (and so the team's insurance won't be voided due to a "voluntary" retirement) are just ugly situations, IMHO.

Not being snide but seriously asking, has Wright or Pedroia hurt themselves worse than they already were to the point where there quality of life is any different ? Seems like a non issue, but I get the point. There’s not an easy solution. If you allow teams to take guys off the books, teams will abuse it and it will have other unintended consequences.  I’d be for it though . 

Edited by brockpapersizer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Overlord said:

I shouldn't have mentioned Chris Davis as Pedroia and Wright were in the forefront of my mind.

These guys risking further damage so they can get paid (and so the team's insurance won't be voided due to a "voluntary" retirement) are just ugly situations, IMHO.

Pedroia earned every dime of his contract.  Guy just is a true grit kind of guy who can't stop playing the game until he is so badly injured he has trouble walking now in real life and has pain just walking on a wood floor.  Red Sox would have paid him off in full no matter the methods in the end.

And on Pedroia's official retirement, Ortiz said "'He showed the whole planet it wasn't about height, it was about balls ... If I had to pick one player to pay to watch it was Dustin Pedroia." 

Yeah Pedey had to play the way he had to play or he wouldn't have been the Dirt Dog.  He couldn't hold back one iota of his being from the game he loved.  He pushed himself beyond his limits sure.  But why?  Because he had to; it was his very nature.  To do any less was not to be him.  So no one in Red Sox nation begrudges a single dime he is getting.

Guy would have played for free but fortunately he lives in an era where good guys that give their all can get paid in full just like guys that just sit back and collect their paycheck once they get the big contract.  Pedey wanted to earn his the way he always earned everything in baseball. By playing every day.  Just wasn't meant to be.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Pedroia earned every dime of his contract.  Guy just is a true grit kind of guy who can't stop playing the game until he is so badly injured he has trouble walking now in real life and has pain just walking on a wood floor.  Red Sox would have paid him off in full no matter the methods in the end.

And on Pedroia's official retirement, Ortiz said "'He showed the whole planet it wasn't about height, it was about balls ... If I had to pick one player to pay to watch it was Dustin Pedroia." 

Yeah Pedey had to play the way he had to play or he wouldn't have been the Dirt Dog.  He couldn't hold back one iota of his being from the game he loved.  He pushed himself beyond his limits sure.  But why?  Because he had to; it was his very nature.  To do any less was not to be him.  So no one in Red Sox nation begrudges a single dime he is getting.

Guy would have played for free but fortunately he lives in an era where good guys that give their all can get paid in full just like guys that just sit back and collect their paycheck once they get the big contract.  Pedey wanted to earn his the way he always earned everything in baseball. By playing every day.  Just wasn't meant to be.

Let's also not forget that contract he signed was very team friendly he easily could have gotten much more, he gave the Sox a massive discount so can't begrudge him as that money could easily have been more.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

  Red Sox would have paid him off in full no matter the methods in the end.

 

Oh, I completely agree.  Same deal with Wright.

The problem is that the insurance companies wouldn't have, so the teams and the players are stuck with a situation where guys with serious, life-altering orthopedic histories are trying to rehab year after year when quite possibly the player AND the team would prefer a more graceful exit.

Now, I could be wrong.  Maybe both Wright and Pedroia legitimately thought they could come back ... but those were serious injuries and it would be a shame if the players had to struggle through years of rehab just because the team had to make sure that the insurance hoops were jumped through.  

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Overlord said:

Oh, I completely agree.  Same deal with Wright.

The problem is that the insurance companies wouldn't have, so the teams and the players are stuck with a situation where guys with serious, life-altering orthopedic histories are trying to rehab year after year when quite possibly the player AND the team would prefer a more graceful exit.

Now, I could be wrong.  Maybe both Wright and Pedroia legitimately thought they could come back ... but those were serious injuries and it would be a shame if the players had to struggle through years of rehab just because the team had to make sure that the insurance hoops were jumped through.  

I think Pedroia believed he could still come back somehow up until maybe last year.  I think everyone in baseball except Pedroia knew he was done before Pedroia could admit it to himself.  Ortiz once said he (Ortiz) played baseball because he had fun playing it but Pedroia played because he HAD to play.  Pedroia was one of the most baseball-obsessed players ever and it was hard for him to admit the truth of the situation.  The front office knew that too and waited until he got to the stage of acceptance on his own.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, StevieStats said:

Let's also not forget that contract he signed was very team friendly he easily could have gotten much more, he gave the Sox a massive discount so can't begrudge him as that money could easily have been more.

I've seen some people begrudge him here on Edge Forums, but yes I agree, he earned that deal and it was more than fair.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wonder what Magic Johnson thinks about this.  Second NBA star buying into a MLB team.  Will the slam dunk be added to the home run trot?

Quote

Michael Silverman of the Boston Globe reports that NBA superstar LeBron James will become part-owner of the Red Sox.

Source: Mike Silverman on Twitter                   Mar 16, 2021, 3:07 PM ET

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

More details of LeBron's Boston holdings:

Quote

Michael Silverman of the Boston Globe reports that NBA superstar LeBron James will become part-owner of the Red Sox.

Jeff Passan of ESPN.com confirms the report. To be clear, James is now a partner in Fenway Sports Group along with Maverick Carter, James' longtime business partner and friend, making them the first Black partners in the firm's history. Some of the other subsidies of FSG include Liverpool Football Club (of which James was already an investor), NESN, Fenway Sports Management, and Fenway Racing. Pending MLB approval, FSG is also expected to receive a $750 million investment from RedBird Capital Partners. This should help FSG's goal of adding other major sports franchises to the fold. As for James, being involved in baseball in any capacity can only be a good thing.

Source: Mike Silverman on Twitter                Mar 16, 2021, 3:07 PM ET

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I imagine Red Sox fans who are also Celtic fans probably aren’t too happy about this. It would be like Larry Bird owning part of the Dodgers. Sure, it’s not like he’s gonna call the shots when it comes to the roster and he probably won’t even be there much at all, but still. Just a little weird considering all the trauma he’s caused Boston over the years in basketball. Still a smart business decision by him. He will definitely be a billionaire like Mike.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey I'm totally happy with Vergugo and Downs and not being tied up in a totally insane contract.  Betts wasn't ever going to resign so thank you, Dodgers, for giving the Red Sox a great return because if they couldn't have gotten you to take him they would have had nothing in return.  Big win for the Sox!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2021 at 12:27 PM, KingJoffrey said:

Team looks awful in the early going but at least JDM found his old form.

Yeah seeing JD hit is a great sign to see, other bats will come around. It's the SP that is scary again. Evo isn't bad, maybe Pivetta figures things out to be a consistent contributor. I'd like to see Houck be given a spot as good as he's been. Richards I'm not very optimistic on but hope he can offer something to the rotation. By time Sale and Rod come back Boston could be holding last place down and a lost season though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...