NBC Sports Edge Forums

Boston Red Sox 2021 Outlook

22 minutes ago, tonywow said:

Yeah seeing JD hit is a great sign to see, other bats will come around. It's the SP that is scary again. Evo isn't bad, maybe Pivetta figures things out to be a consistent contributor. I'd like to see Houck be given a spot as good as he's been. Richards I'm not very optimistic on but hope he can offer something to the rotation. By time Sale and Rod come back Boston could be holding last place down and a lost season though. 

But a great draft pick for next year.  😎

Richards isn't a east coast blood sport spotlight type.  That is obvious.  His press conference was full of excuses and laidback-style platitudes and silly rationalizing that won't fly here for one second.  Boston sports radio is already tearing him a new one. 

Sports radio is way over the top of course but it is true he is NOT a good fit on this team.  I hope they give his spot to Houck asap when E-Rod returns in a few days but number of moves left to send Houck back and forth etc will probably mean the Sox will stick with Richards way too long and drive me crazy.  Guy just isn't built for east coast baseball.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's also not forget that contract he signed was very team friendly he easily could have gotten much more, he gave the Sox a massive discount so can't begrudge him as that money could easily have bee

Pedroia earned every dime of his contract.  Guy just is a true grit kind of guy who can't stop playing the game until he is so badly injured he has trouble walking now in real life and has pain just w

My point is, the Red Sox system of spending money on talent has won them multiple titles.  The Rays' system has got them two WS appearances in the same time, both losses.  The Red Sox are more likely

• 3 months later...
51 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

As great as this offense is, they need a leadoff hitter bad…making a move to get Starling Marte ans putting him in that spot would be HUGE

Huh?  You watching the same games I'm watching?  Kike has been fantastic so far since he has been moved into the leadoff spot and we certainly do NOT need Marte to be messing with Duran getting his AB's.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
4 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Huh?  You watching the same games I'm watching?  Kike has been fantastic so far since he has been moved into the leadoff spot and we certainly do NOT need Marte to be messing with Duran getting his AB's.

He is on a heater right now, but he is what he is..no speed, and a .323 obp this season and career .314 obp

2 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

He is on a heater right now, but he is what he is..no speed, and a .323 obp this season and career .314 obp

He is what he is NOW.  First time he has become an everyday player which makes a big difference in being able to hit constantly.  He never was an everyday player with the Dodgers and early on in this season he was still utility.  Now he plays everyday.

And longer term Jarren Duran should bat leadoff.

Since Bat and I were going back and forth on the Trade thread about rumors of a Rizzo to Boston deal, I'll hop over here to calm that debate down. We have a number of Red Sox fans here who are regular posters, so my question at this point: Are they a legitimate World Series contender? I view them very much like the Giants in the NL this year; very unexpected, yet they've had staying power and resurgent years from a variety of names. Still, its hard to argue that the Astros and Dodgers are not still the odds on favorites, respectively; maybe you could debate on the Dodgers currently, that's another discussion. As for Boston, what do they need to add, if anything, to contend?

Of course, Sale comes back soon. They just got Duran and are confusing the hell out of everyone with their platooning now. This should be expected for the Rays, but will they try to add a bat like Rizzo to stabilize the lineup, similar to the Cruz trade? I also maintain another reliable starter would be great. After Sale and Eovaldi, who gets the ball in game 3? Are you really happy with Barnes taking the ball in the 9th of the key playoff moment, or as I suspect, would you feel better in Kimbrel's hands again? Be honest, I have an Uncle in Boston I talk Red Sox with all the time. 

19 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Since Bat and I were going back and forth on the Trade thread about rumors of a Rizzo to Boston deal, I'll hop over here to calm that debate down. We have a number of Red Sox fans here who are regular posters, so my question at this point: Are they a legitimate World Series contender? I view them very much like the Giants in the NL this year; very unexpected, yet they've had staying power and resurgent years from a variety of names. Still, its hard to argue that the Astros and Dodgers are not still the odds on favorites, respectively; maybe you could debate on the Dodgers currently, that's another discussion. As for Boston, what do they need to add, if anything, to contend?

Of course, Sale comes back soon. They just got Duran and are confusing the hell out of everyone with their platooning now. This should be expected for the Rays, but will they try to add a bat like Rizzo to stabilize the lineup, similar to the Cruz trade? I also maintain another reliable starter would be great. After Sale and Eovaldi, who gets the ball in game 3? Are you really happy with Barnes taking the ball in the 9th of the key playoff moment, or as I suspect, would you feel better in Kimbrel's hands again? Be honest, I have an Uncle in Boston I talk Red Sox with all the time. 

ill take barnes over kimbrel.  i still have ptsd for when the sox traded for gagne.  ever since then, im not a fan of late season closer trades...

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

I'd be happy to get Kimbrel and wouldn't mind seeing either guy in the 9th inning. As for Rizzo, I wouldn't mind that either if we can get him for a good price that doesn't include the top prospects we've mentioned.

I'm more of a wait and see what happens type of guy rather than discussing hypotheticals based off of rumors that may more may not be true, though. Let's see what Chaim Bloom can do deadline week.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Richard Kimble said:

... After Sale and Eovaldi, who gets the ball in game 3? Are you really happy with Barnes taking the ball in the 9th of the key playoff moment, or as I suspect, would you feel better in Kimbrel's hands again? Be honest, I have an Uncle in Boston I talk Red Sox with all the time. 

E-Rod.  He has shown he is returning to normal barring that migraine.  Houck as the bulker for any of the three that falter.

NESN just had an interview with Chaim tonight where he basically stated that he is looking at the long term picture ... again.  I don't know how many times he has to say it.  He isn't trading away the good core prospects he has. 

He is open to finding the fill-in type players to shore up here and there.  In other words he is going the 2004 route of using a team concept that worked mighty good back then.  Just with more sabermetrics thrown in.

As for Kimbrel, he wasn't allowed to finish the the final game of the World Series because he wasn't trusted to close any more in Boston.  Sale got that honor and I'm so glad he did.  Psychologically he and the Red Sox and their fans -- who booed him loudly the last half of that season when he sucked -- are a bad fit. 

Meanwhile Barnes is doing fine.  It is Ottavino who is having meltdown problems.  They need another good set-up guy whether someone else's current closer or someone else's really good set-up player.  Maybe pick up two even.  Bullpen is always the key. 

Just not the closer role.  Kimbrel would ruin the chemistry if he came in.  Barnes doesn't deserve to lose the closer role.  What kind of message do you send to your team to demote one of your best players this season?  And an All Star besides.  He earned it. 

And the pressure and memories would be bearing down hard on Kimbrel.  Really really bad fit.  One walk and the fans would be on him. He isn't worshiped in Boston like in his other stops.  He left on a very sour note.  I don't want to see him come back in the least.

Also Rizzo isn't all that anymore.  His power has disappeared and his OBP, which used to be excellent, is just average these days.  And you don't need him as a "vet with World Series experience" either since you have a number of them on the Sox already.  If you really wanted to add a 7th 1B eligible player to the team -- and I really don't -- then someone like the Marlin's Aguliar is available for a lot less.  He has more homers and a LOT more RBI's (71 to Rizzo's 38) in a far worse line-up

I get it, thanks for reminding me of that. I know Kimbrel left in disgrace, but he had a good run with them. You're right though, he did begin his career with the Braves and was a hired gun to the Red Sox. You illustrated exactly why the rumor mill is often just that, and fans who follow their teams specifically often have a better sense than what the various media figures report. Those guys are just doing it for clicks and attention, you guys live and breathe Red Sox, which is why the deadline is exciting and nerve wracking. As I keep referring back to 2016, the Cubs were the clear best team in baseball, similar to the Sox in 2018, and you had some real anxiety as the deadline approached that they wouldn't get their man (they did). So I guess, who's your man? What move would make you happiest, in a perfect world, since we're in fantasy territory anyway?

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

I get it, thanks for reminding me of that. I know Kimbrel left in disgrace, but he had a good run with them. You're right though, he did begin his career with the Braves and was a hired gun to the Red Sox. You illustrated exactly why the rumor mill is often just that, and fans who follow their teams specifically often have a better sense than what the various media figures report. Those guys are just doing it for clicks and attention, you guys live and breathe Red Sox, which is why the deadline is exciting and nerve wracking. As I keep referring back to 2016, the Cubs were the clear best team in baseball, similar to the Sox in 2018, and you had some real anxiety as the deadline approached that they wouldn't get their man (they did). So I guess, who's your man? What move would make you happiest, in a perfect world, since we're in fantasy territory anyway?

Just a guy who can set-up for Barnes if Ottavino continues to go south.  His whole demeanor shows that these blown situations are getting to him big time too.  His head is now in a bad place.  And also if they can pick-up a cheap starter for depth for chump change, that is okay too.  But obviously not Mad Max or someone top tier like him.

I don't know when Arroyo can come back off the IL but with him at 2B then Kike can play more at 1B.  So some stuff may depend on Christian Arroyo's ETA off the IL weirdly enough.

PS:  Did you know that before every game Ottavino goes out barefoot and sits on the outfield grass and "feels" it a lot?  He says it gets him in tune with the earth or something.  Maybe the grass is tired of his touchy feeling thing he has going with it and is helping the batters at this point.  Hahaha.

• Haha 1