NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kris Bryant 2021 Outlook

I am not a "hater" of Kris Bryant like so many in this city,  but he's done here. But he's a year removed from a 100+ Runs, 30 HR, .280 AVG and 380 OBP season. But yeah, last year was an absolute disaster. I really think he's going to get moved sooner than most think and hopefully that will rejuvenate him, he just looks so miserable here.  So as a 9th or 10th round guy in a 12 teamer...might be worth the upside. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't really get the hate. I mean I guess I kind of get it, some people were surely burned in 2020. But he's been a very good player for pretty much his whole career outside of 36 games in a weird 202

how dare you!

I got him in the 13th round in a 10 team draft, but yeahhh the more I look into this, the less enthused I am about taking him. He was supposedly playing with a wrist injury last year, so hopefully he can rebound and he's not actually falling off the proverbial cliff - I mean jeez he's only 29

The Cubs probably cost Bryant 30-80 million in free agent dollars (depending on whether we see a work stoppage next year or not) with their service time shenanigans and I just don't think Bryant was ever willing to let it go.  Exhibit A would be that he took his grievance all the way to an arbitration despite the evidentiary standard being almost impossible for a player to prevail under. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Overlord said:

The Cubs probably cost Bryant 30-80 million in free agent dollars (depending on whether we see a work stoppage next year or not) with their service time shenanigans and I just don't think Bryant was ever willing to let it go.  Exhibit A would be that he took his grievance all the way to an arbitration despite the evidentiary standard being almost impossible for a player to prevail under. 

This. And what Gandalf said, he's just lost and seemingly lifeless. It's not a "you think he's not happy" it's "how miserable is he" in Chicago at this point. No doubt he needs to get away from the Cubs. He needs to be traded sooner rather than later. .  I'll have nothing to do with him until he's out of Chicago. 

Edited by CardiacDO
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, street sharks said:

I got him in the 13th round in a 10 team draft, but yeahhh the more I look into this, the less enthused I am about taking him. He was supposedly playing with a wrist injury last year, so hopefully he can rebound and he's not actually falling off the proverbial cliff - I mean jeez he's only 29

I hated him going into the draft and thought I got some decent value in the 8th round, but seeing this made me throw up in my mouth.  Easily my most regretful pick this year.

Bryant has gotten scorched for playing through hustle injuries (2019 shoulder 2nd half and 2020 wrist injury). If anything the hate he's gotten has got to be motivating him more this season with free agency looming. I get the injury risk but he's reportedly healthy now. He's one of the best values in 2021 imo https://theathletic.com/2466430/2021/03/21/kris-bryants-struggles-with-exit-velocity-deserve-a-closer-examination/#:~:text=Bryant had a 147 wRC%2B,contact was in the 56th.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Overlord said:

I'm so tired of hearing this argument & I'm tired of Bryant acting like a child throughout his time here in Chicago as a result.  99% of teams with players in the same situation would do the exact same thing - it's called business & smart business at that.  It would be swell if Bryant stopped acting like a child and realize this - oh!  And also stop having those nagging injuries.

Just now, tucker26 said:

It's rumored Chicago fans are emotionally preparing for a Kris Bryant break up...

1.  The way he's handled the service time situation since his rookie year has been pathetic - I've spoken on it for years

2.  He's not worth the contract he thinks he's worth

3.  He consistently has these nagging/odd injuries that sap power/production < this point is relevant to his player fantasy thread

7 hours ago, Overlord said:

Bryant has handled himself as a professional. He was simply doing what the Union (and his agent) wanted to try to fight this precedent. He’s always said he wants to be a Cub and I think that he has been genuine in saying that even despite being frustrated by what happened. 
There were reports the Cubs offered $200 million over 8 years back in 2018. Whether that’s accurate or not, I’m sure they offered something close to that. Might be wishing he took that now because he may not sniff anywhere close to that.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

3.  He consistently has these nagging/odd injuries that sap power/production < this point is relevant to his player fantasy thread

18 with the shoulder (head first slide)
19 with the knee (wet base)
20 with the wrist (diving catch in LF)

In 2018 and 2019 he was playing well prior to the injuries and sucked after them.

So he's basically turned into Carlos Gonzalez and Stanton with that health run and now is getting reamed for playing through them by the cub faithful...The pessimism isn't misplaced but maybe overboard a tad, when the payoff is a very nice value where he's going. 

2 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

18 with the shoulder (head first slide)
19 with the knee (wet base)
20 with the wrist (diving catch in LF)

In 2018 and 2019 he was playing well prior to the injuries and sucked after them.

So he's basically turned into Carlos Gonzalez and Stanton with that health run and now is getting reamed for playing through them by the cub faithful...The pessimism isn't misplaced but maybe overboard a tad, when the payoff is a very nice value where he's going. 

It's a reality & part of the narrative with Bryant - he hasn't been able to stay healthy & it's zapped his production.  You forgot the additional shoulder injury - not the one in 18 - that was a result of his "upwards swing".  

• Thanks 1

A high risk high reward pick this year no doubt. I’ve heard opinions ranging from best value in the draft to he’s totally done and a mental mess. I got him at pick 106 in a redraft, don’t feel great about it but there’s certainly a wide range of outcomes here

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Dylanfan66 said:

His power looks gone.  I stayed away big time and he dropped in my leagues.   It's always possible he regains it.  But not looking great.. 20 home funs?

They should throw a parade if he hits 20 bombs and 80 RBIs.

Declining player surrounded by other risky players. I cant believe he went in round 9 in my draft.

Too bad.  He comes across as a good guy. I guess money issues get to pretty much anyone.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, ryno1980 said:

Bryant has handled himself as a professional. He was simply doing what the Union (and his agent) wanted to try to fight this precedent. He’s always said he wants to be a Cub and I think that he has been genuine in saying that even despite being frustrated by what happened. 
There were reports the Cubs offered $200 million over 8 years back in 2018. Whether that’s accurate or not, I’m sure they offered something close to that. Might be wishing he took that now because he may not sniff anywhere close to that.

I don't necessarily think Bryant has behaved unprofessionally, but continuing to bang the trashcan of a losing cause year after year for the purpose of "sending a message" for future collective bargaining efforts was not a productive use of his mental energy.  I kind of feel he has been used as a tool by Scott Boras, an agent who, despite getting incredible results time and time again, has shown a propensity towards "collective thinking" in regards to how he handles his clients.  

Said another way, Bryant wasted his time, energy, and mental focus on a grievance he had no chance of winning (something I'm pretty sure I was on record about from the beginning).  The "clear and convincing" evidentiary standard has, including in my own career as an attorney, essentially been a death knell in any case lacking in direct, smoking gun evidence.

I would say Bryant doesn't come close to that 200 million offer again except that history has shown me, particularly when Boras is involved, that some moronic owner will eventually pony up.  

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 1

I got him at pick 61 in my 10 team keeper league where we each keep 6, so really more like pick 121. That said I wasn't too thrilled with my pick but after reading all the posts in this thread and hate elsewhere I started digging a little deeper to see whether I should somehow try to flip him. 

What I found was obviously a pretty steep decline in nearly every category last year. He was striking out more and walking less. He was chasing and his swstr% was up. He wasn't hitting the ball as hard as he has in the past and he looked lost. All the things you don't want to see, you saw in his metrics. 

So it got me thinking, I wonder what his monthly splits have been like throughout his career? What I found was that last year was the perfect example of a small sample size for Bryant at least from what the splits show. Looking back at 2016, 2017, and 2019 in particular he had 2-3 months each year where his numbers looked horrible. All the numbers looked similar to last year's numbers. K%, BB%, swstr%, chase rate, contact stats, everything looked like that of a player who was lost at the plate at that time. Then the next month his numbers looked more like his final stat line from those seasons, which was pretty damn good. 

My point is I think there are plenty of players who either had really good or really bad years unexpectedly last year and people seem to be quickly forgetting it was only 60 games. We always talk about small sample size in these threads and I just think last year was a perfect example of that. Add in all the adversity they had to deal with from covid and I think it's pretty easy to take last year with a grain of salt. 

• Like 2

Just read an interview with Kris Bryant and this snippet leapt out at me:

At times, no,” Bryant said when asked if baseball brings him any joy at this stage, via Jesse Rogers of ESPN. “It really got to me sometimes. The stuff I was hearing. The first trade rumors [in 2018] that started to pop up really got to me. I find myself [thinking], ‘Man, is this even fun anymore? Why did I start playing this game?’ Because it was fun.

“There’s a lot of other stuff involved. You make a ton of money and fame and all this. You have to get yourself back to why I started playing.”

Look, I'm not going to try to get into Kris Bryant's head space and figure out why he's done the things he's done if "focusing on the joy of playing" is what he's all about, but I am going to say that if he's being honest during this interview (and that's a big F***ING "if") then his agent dragging him through a protracted, very public, very nasty piece of litigation with his current club was doing him a terrible disservice.

A guy who is incapable of separate the business aspects of his job from his day-to-day life is not the guy Boras should want as the poster boy for his Crusade Against the Evils of Service Time Manipulation(tm) because it's going to be extremely detrimental on a personal level. This is particularly true as it was doomed to fail from the outset.

Edited by Overlord

Don't really get the hate. I mean I guess I kind of get it, some people were surely burned in 2020. But he's been a very good player for pretty much his whole career outside of 36 games in a weird 2020 season. Where his BABIP was a very low .264 and everything seems to point to him playing injured. At 29, he should not be washed up and he's in a contract year. He's not particularly expensive and hits in a prime spot in the line-up.

• Like 4
14 hours ago, bluntbros said:

Hater crickets....

Yes a home run off of Tyler Anderson should change all of the doubters minds.