NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jaden McDaniels 2020-2021 Outlook

He actually has 3 and D potential + was a first round pick unlike Vanderbilt.... dude is so skinny but he stuffed Vuc and pick pocked Aaron Gordon the last game. Dynasty watch for sure Jaden has nice offensive upside and gets stocks.  timberwolves are going downhill super fast, Juancho and Layman haven’t played great you never know...

Dropped in draft from lottery due to issues he had in college with keeping emotions in check and fouling. Drafted to MIN which is not good for that.

However, High efficiency catch and shoot in college at 83rd percentile. Long, decently fast, defensive potential can be better than anticipated because of the zone they run in Washington. D Russ seems to get very excited when he's on the court receiving lobs... and whatever D Russ says on this team is what they do.

Would be funny if better than Edwards. I see 10% chance of him doing it this year, but his ceiling is higher than any other player in this crap draft.

Edited by rob0403
  • Like 1

love him and his brother, both really talented

raw with a lot of could-be-star potential, would’ve made more noise had he gone somewhere other than washington (i guess they give out more under the table than some other top schools seeing that they always have all americans on the team)

maybe not this season but they should seriously focus on him, he should be their priority this season, in all seriousness, i think he’s gonna end up being more vital to this team than antman

McSleepy

This guy is a sleeper. Min is sprinting towards a tank season. Jaden finds himself in a position that MIN is the weakest at. 

His main concern is fouling too much. So far, he has only few bad fouls, not even any real "rookie" fouls. 

You also have to remember, his ceiling is the highest of this draft. Long player defends 1-4... Maybe 5. Shoots 3, fluid decent athlete, decent FT rate. I call a must stash in dynasty leagues at the very least. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think I have been a month or 2 too early on this guy. I like him more than Vanderbilt, and obviously a higher ceiling. 

He needs to find his spots though, which didn't really matter until now cause Towns is back. He really needs to prove himself now next to their star player.

Edited by rob0403

17 minutes ago, rob0403 said:

I think I have been a month or 2 too early on this guy. I like him more than Vanderbilt, and obviously a higher ceiling. 

He needs to find his spots though, which didn't really matter until now cause Towns is back. He really needs to prove himself now next to their star player.

He's getting the job. Saunders is just too scared to bench the guys ahead of him, but give it 2-3 weeks max

I jumped from Vanderbilt to McDaniels because of what McDaniels has shown. His per-minute block/3pm combo stats are monstrous. He has more poise, an outside shot, and discipline with the ball. He can play PF next to KAT without looking like a spazz. KAT needs a good weak side defender behind him, like last year's Jerami Grant in Denver or Isaac in Orlando. Give this one a week or two to develop. I think he will be a strong contributor for fantasy playoffs this year.

They are increasingly giving McD the minutes next to KAT, at the expense of Okogie. McDaniels closed out the last two games, but should have gotten more Q4 minutes. Based on the quote below, there could be more minutes coming. In a close loss to the Hornets which they could have won, here's what happened:

Saunders did indeed go with Jaden McDaniels down at the very end, and he said Okogie was on the floor to give McDaniels a brief break so he didn’t play the entire final frame.

The adjustments continue as Minnesota continues to look for a winning late-game solution.

https://www.twincities.com/2021/02/12/timberwolves-drop-another-close-game-in-loss-to-hornets/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

I jumped from Vanderbilt to McDaniels because of what McDaniels has shown. His per-minute block/3pm combo stats are monstrous. He has more poise, an outside shot, and discipline with the ball. He can play PF next to KAT without looking like a spazz. KAT needs a good weak side defender behind him, like last year's Jerami Grant in Denver or Isaac in Orlando. Give this one a week or two to develop. I think he will be a strong contributor for fantasy playoffs this year.

They are increasingly giving McD the minutes next to KAT, at the expense of Okogie. McDaniels closed out the last two games, but should have gotten more Q4 minutes. Based on the quote below, there could be more minutes coming. In a close loss to the Hornets which they could have won, here's what happened:

Saunders did indeed go with Jaden McDaniels down at the very end, and he said Okogie was on the floor to give McDaniels a brief break so he didn’t play the entire final frame.

The adjustments continue as Minnesota continues to look for a winning late-game solution.

https://www.twincities.com/2021/02/12/timberwolves-drop-another-close-game-in-loss-to-hornets/

No matter how bad the game is be tends to always be a positive +/- . He makes it hard around the rim. I've made the switch as well. I'm really banking on some good performances post asb

Let's see how it goes, he just has to stay on the floor for the stocks so he's gotta hit his catch and shoots. Then they have no reason to sit him. 

Like I mentioned, he was a very high percentile catch and shoot guy in college. What MIN needs is in his skillet. 

• Like 1

Im not against him, but he is SF in our league so not going to run for him. Im good for SF.

But I have a name for him... From now on he is McKid! This Kid! Oozing potential. Jaden McKid! I will keep an eye on him for sure.

• Like 1

His per 36 min sucks but doesn't mean he can't play. It's actually more of him not forcing anything. 

He's a rookie that can hit open 3's (but they don't run plays for him) and block right now. You are hoping he gets more boards or into the offense this year. The coaches have an influence on what he does, but some of it is positive. He started doing these cuts to the rim that left a wide open 3 for Rubio twice for example. 

Right now more of a dynasty guy. His length, fluidity has high potential. He slipped in the drafts probably because they were scared of his lack of alpha mentality (he said he enjoyed coming off the bench and had coach arguments). 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Known2bg said:

Watched Jaden in highschool. Kid could be the next Durant in a few years imo

Watched him in college.

No he can’t. These Durant comparisons need to stop every time a tall guy that can dribble and shoot above average comes into the league. Durant averaged 20 PPG in his rookie season and hasn’t looked back averaging over 25 PPG every season since.

Can he be an all star? Yes. Can he even be a top 10 player? If he develops right his size and natural abilities may get him there. However, he is no Durant just like everyone else that is and was compared to him isn’t. Durant is a once in a lifetime generational talent.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Durant is a once in a lifetime generational talent.

I appreciate you.

I'm high on Jaden this season, but I don't think he's going to contribute consistently in any cats but 3s and blocks which still has value. I'd love to see how he looks in the following years. I might be jumping off the Minnesota PF situation for this season