Jaden McDaniels 2020-2021 Outlook

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hitting my dick for not trusting my instinct and pick him up 

Finch is a well-known commodity among coaches. He was he assistant responsible for creating the Jokic/Denver offense. Also, the early Zion/Ingram Pelicans era. He is supposedly an offensive genius. 

I jumped from Vanderbilt to McDaniels because of what McDaniels has shown. His per-minute block/3pm combo stats are monstrous. He has more poise, an outside shot, and discipline with the ball. He can

12 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

I would be willing to bet a new coach, with a guaranteed long-term contract, would be more likely to start McD. 

Nothing to lose, baby!

Could also argue the same for Vanderbilt or any of the scrubs that play PF on the team (Layman, Juancho). Definitely something to monitor at the meantime.

Finch is a well-known commodity among coaches. He was he assistant responsible for creating the Jokic/Denver offense. Also, the early Zion/Ingram Pelicans era. He is supposedly an offensive genius. 

We have very little to go on, but turning KAT into the facilitator of the offense (a la Jokic) is very likely. If you do that, I'm guessing you need a scoring PG (think Jamal Murray), and 3/D guys surrounding him. 

I just think McD is a better option on both offense and defense than Vanderbilt. I might also keep an eye on Nowell with DAR out.

Here's a nice profile of Finch: https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2020/9/22/21449646/nba-chris-finch-nick-nurse-anthony-davis-zion-lonzo-rockets-raptors-britain-brandon-ingram-holiday

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, tazdingo said:

Could also argue the same for Vanderbilt or any of the scrubs that play PF on the team (Layman, Juancho). Definitely something to monitor at the meantime.

I hear you, so I picked up Vanderbilt also, just in case. 😉 

4 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

We have very little to go on, but turning KAT into the facilitator of the offense (a la Jokic) is very likely. If you do that, I'm guessing you need a scoring PG (think Jamal Murray), and 3/D guys surrounding him. 

I just think McD is a better option on both offense and defense than Vanderbilt. I might also keep an eye on Nowell with DAR out.

Here's a nice profile of Finch: https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2020/9/22/21449646/nba-chris-finch-nick-nurse-anthony-davis-zion-lonzo-rockets-raptors-britain-brandon-ingram-holiday

It's exciting to be sure. It's gonna take a bit of genius to fix this lineup and a good offensive team is great for fantasy.  More spacing and shooting does not sound like Vanderbilt at all so I am calling this a plus for McDaniels.

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Great find on this. Reading through this still leaves me a bit confused on what he could potentially do at the 4. I really was quite enamored by Vanderbilt's potential play making ability after his willingness to be a hustle player so it does excite me at the prospect of Vanderbilt maybe seeing some more of that. But it also makes sense for a coach to expand the floor around KAT with more shooters and McDaniels & Juancho fit that description (though McDaniels being a better defensive presence and energy guy).

Figured this was a long time coming, but Saunders looked absolutely lost last night trying to figure out rotations.  He kept McDaniels out for what felt like forever when they really needed his defense and were getting scored on at will.

Excited to see what comes of this!

Vanderbelt has a real problem catching passes. He fumbles a lot of feeds to him under the basket.

He would score a lot more if he could cleanly catch the ball and put up a shot instead of dropping the pass and allowing the defense to catch up to the play before he can get a shot off.

And don't throw him a bounce pass under the basket. He or the ball or both will end up out of bounce. It's a guaranteed turnover.

He has had 1 day. They play 4 times in the next 5 days. It will take time.

I did see coach try several variations. Reid/KAT was a failure. Vandy/McD could be fun, with KAT and others for spacing.

You have to think he will give every player a look before putting his own plans in place.

• Like 1
Just now, hornrimmed_rambis said:

He has had 1 day. They play 4 times in the next 5 days. It will take time.

I did see coach try several variations. Reid/KAT was a failure. Vandy/McD could be fun, with KAT and others for spacing.

You have to think he will give every player a look before putting his own plans in place.

Came here to say the same thing, Hernangomez getting some run tonight. I think he's taking stock and it's gonna be a bumpy week for the non-locked in players (KAT and maybe Bease?)

My guess is after looking at the minutes rotation being more or less the same as Saunders',  the new coach is going to use the next few games to analyze who fits best around a system where KAT is more focused on as the main playmaker (not gonna call it "point-KAT" just yet). Hard to say who is the best fit for now.

He is so versatile with his on ball defense, even doing a decent job on Giannis a few times despite the huge size and strength disparity.  Hopefully this earns him more time on the floor with the new coach.  Vanderbilt also fumbled another pass on a fast break and only got 11 minutes tonight.  McDaniels didn't exactly get a huge share of minutes himself either though.

I'm just glad it's a back to back and we immediately get another glimpse into how things will go with the new coach.

12 hours ago, CharlesCC2 said:

Saw him block Giannis, heard the announcers call it a block, saw the block on the stat sheet, then it disappears ten minutes later.  Wtf?

Did this block ever end up counting? Why does this always happen...

4 hours ago, CFN said:

Did this block ever end up counting? Why does this always happen...

Nope.  4:02 of the 1st quarter play by play.

"Giannis Antetokounmpo misses dunk."

You can see for yourself here at 1:20 in this Giannis highlight video.  I'm watching it back in crappy quality on my phone and slowed it down and it looks like McDaniels may not have touched the ball (i.e. he fouled Giannis and it wasn't called).  That would explain it I guess.

https://youtu.be/aMSH7dFJgc0

47 minutes ago, CharlesCC2 said:

Nope.  4:02 of the 1st quarter play by play.

"Giannis Antetokounmpo misses dunk."

You can see for yourself here at 1:20 in this Giannis highlight video.  I'm watching it back in crappy quality on my phone and slowed it down and it looks like McDaniels may not have touched the ball (i.e. he fouled Giannis and it wasn't called).  That would explain it I guess.

https://youtu.be/aMSH7dFJgc0

Damn, he didn't block it. Oh well. Still had 2 blocks in the game. His crappy lines are still pretty good (22 min, 4 pts, 2 ast, 1 stl, 2 blk, 0 TO). Hoping he can get back up to the 30 min range soon. C'mon Finch!!!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, t0087669 said:

Time to move on? Looks like Vanderbuilt will get big minutes. Or give the rest of the week and see?

It's a crazy thought based on the minutes tonight, but I have a feeling coach will reverse their minutes for the next game. 

Also, they lost. To the Bulls.

1 hour ago, t0087669 said:

Time to move on? Looks like Vanderbuilt will get big minutes. Or give the rest of the week and see?

Could depend on league settings and people you play with. The Wolves’ next game is in 3 days and the waiver period setting is 2 days for my league, so I felt safe enough to make the swap to Vandy knowing that McD won’t have a chance to blow up before he clears waivers.

Of course, this is assuming that no one claims him or picks him up, because 2 pts 3 reb 1 ast.

• Like 1

After last night, I'm back to holding both McD and Vandy. One of them has to break out. I think last night was Vandy's audition, and I think McD could just as easily get the next one. Here's what Finch said when asked after the game:

Finch if he thought of Jaden sub late: "We did. We're trying to keep it fluid for now. Some of it is matchup oriented & some of it is me figuring out what guys can do in certain situations. Jaden's been playing well recently, but we'll get him out there. We're committed to him."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Beasley news is interesting. It may help McD, since they need a 3p shooter on the wings and it is not Vanderbilt.

I don't think it will ever be Culver either. 

• Like 1