NBC Sports Edge Forums

NFC Championship : Green Bay vs Tampa Bay

LaFleur's decision to kick the FG was one of the worst coaching decisions I have ever seen. GB may not have won the game if they went for it, but at least they would have had a chance.

Worst case is you go for it, fail to convert...and then you still have the same amount of timeouts and Tampa pinned deep, so you can rely on the same defense you're expecting to get a stop when you kick the FG instead. 

This will go down as one of the all-time blunders on LaFleur's part.

• Like 1
  • Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bill watching the game

Wow..Brady is the Bucs all time leader in playoff TD passes lol

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Corleone said:

LaFleur's decision to kick the FG was one of the worst coaching decisions I have ever seen. GB may not have won the game if they went for it, but at least they would have had a chance.

Worst case is you go for it, fail to convert...and then you still have the same amount of timeouts and Tampa pinned deep, so you can rely on the same defense you're expecting to get a stop when you kick the FG instead. 

Agreed. I was shocked. Very dumb

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Corleone said:

Yeah I don't get it.  If you fail, they are pinned near their goal line, and then you're going to rely on your defense to get a three and out so you can get a chance to tie the game again.  But at least you have a chance to tie.  By kicking the field goal, then the defense MUST get the ball back soon or the game is over.  And never mind that TB12, the GOAT, is on the other side of the field.  Based on this ESPN article, I guess the decision was closer than we might have thought in terms of win probability.  But it still seems like the wrong one.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, CooL said:

Yeah I don't get it.  If you fail, they are pinned near their goal line, and then you're going to rely on your defense to get a three and out so you can get a chance to tie the game again.  But at least you have a chance to tie.  By kicking the field goal, then the defense MUST get the ball back soon or the game is over.  And never mind that TB12, the GOAT, is on the other side of the field.  Based on this ESPN article, I guess the decision was closer than we might have thought in terms of win probability.  But it still seems like the wrong one.

I can respect that he said "it felt like the right decision."  I can live with him going with his gut and owning up to it, even though I think it was 100% the wrong decision.  

Had he come out and said, well the analytics said this and that...blah blah blah I would have lost it. 

IDC what these win probabilities say....it wasn't even close that wasn't the right move. Put the ball in the hands of your HOF QB and let him try to make a play, not hand it back to the other HOF QB when the field goal doesn't really make a difference either way in terms of what you need(a stop and a TD). 

• Like 2