NBC Sports Edge Forums

2021 Super Bowl Discussion Thread

Brady V Mahomes.  

First time every that a team is playing the Super Bowl in their home stadium(and barely and fans)

GOAT v Best in the game currently. 

There are a lot of story lines here.  

Brady is only the 4th QB to go to the Super Bowl with 2 teams.  Pretty sure he would be the only QB to win a SB in both conferences. 

Mahomes is going for back to back championships before age 26. 

Regardless of who wins, history will be made. 

Let's discuss. 

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Amy Schumer as the spokesman for mayonnaise fits so well 

Maybe we can put the “go to bed” shtick to bed?

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Wonder how much of that accounts for HF advantage?

I'm curious myself.  I'm not sure if it would be priced in as much this year due to the lack of fans.  Probably would have more of an impact with a full stadium....maybe not...IDK. 

Just now, GottaGetTheWin said:

I'm curious myself.  I'm not sure if it would be priced in as much this year due to the lack of fans.  Probably would have more of an impact with a full stadium....maybe not...IDK. 

My guess is it’s about a .5 for any other game - maybe closer to 1 for the SB, though.  Just curious.

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

My guess is it’s about a .5 for any other game - maybe closer to 1 for the SB, though.  Just curious.

Being that this is the first time it's ever happened I'm sure at some point over the next 2 weeks an ex-odds maker will probably end up being asked about it.  

3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Typically in regular(non-COVID times) home field is worth 3 points, that I know.  I'm just not sure how much it's worth now with the lack of fans.  For what it's worth I think in terms of win-loss records there was no HF advantage this year. 

So, two questions for you guys -

Who do you think will win, and who do you want to win?

I think Chiefs win but I want the Bucs.  The best story here is Brady winning without the Pats and Belichick.  To me thats more interesting than "back-to-back" or "new dynasty" talk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Genuinely torn on who I want to win. Awesome stories both ways.

Brady's clearly the GOAT and has been for some time, but Mahomes the last few years is reaching heights I haven't seen. Barring injury, he could the only player that has a shot at sniffing Brady's career achievements given the stable coaching situation too.

I'm a Chargers fan but really a broader football fan and seeing these two guys go against each other with legacy-defining stuff on the line is awesome. Can't wait!

I think the Chiefs are going to win, but I have zero confidence in that call. I'll say 30-27 Chiefs.

Edited by trilly
49 minutes ago, kp96 said:

So, two questions for you guys -

Who do you think will win, and who do you want to win?

I think Chiefs win but I want the Bucs.  The best story here is Brady winning without the Pats and Belichick.  To me thats more interesting than "back-to-back" or "new dynasty" talk.

I also want the Bucs to win but expect the Chiefs to win.  It's fun to see someone make history like Brady has.  It's the type of thing to tell kids or grandkids about in the future.

My prediction: Chiefs win 34 - 24.

Would be cool to see Brady win a SB with a different team, Manning is the only Qb to do so. But the combination of Mahomes, Hill, and Kelce has on fire the past few weeks. Chiefs win this one comfortably 38-24.

Just saw there will be 22K of fans at the stadium which is a lot more than I thought there was going to be.  With the game being at home for Tampa and the limited number of tickets for sale prices are going to be through the proverbial roof! 

3 hours ago, lolcopter said:

O/U has settled at 56 this morning, don't imagine there will be much more movement but I'm intrigued. Worth watching injury reports on those TB safeties.

57.5 was big even for these two teams. Two weeks to prepare does wonders. 56 is interesting. I would probably still go under, but its razor thin. Something along the lines of 31-24.

Just my early week opinion.

22 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

57.5 was big even for these two teams. Two weeks to prepare does wonders. 56 is interesting. I would probably still go under, but its razor thin. Something along the lines of 31-24.

Just my early week opinion.

The problem I have with placing early bets like this(really in any season, but certainly now) is that so much can change between now and 2 weeks from now.  This year more than any other.  What happens if somehow Mahomes or Brady end up with COVID 3 days before the game.  EVERYTHING changes. 

Of course, if you are someone that sees a price that you think is too good then probably worth jumping on before the number moves, but I'm not seeing that on the spread, O/U, or money lines right now. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

Just saw there will be 22K of fans at the stadium which is a lot more than I thought there was going to be.  With the game being at home for Tampa and the limited number of tickets for sale prices are going to be through the proverbial roof! 

Looks like the cheapest seat is $6,730. That's for ONE ticket!

https://www.vividseats.com/nfl/super-bowl-tickets/super-bowl-2-7-3425024.html

A luxury suite is $411,369!!

• Haha 1

Those lineman losses for KC could be big considering how Tampa's D is looking. 

3 road games against Brady's biggest peers to finally play the Super Bowl at home. If you're at all romantic about sports it's Go Bucs. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gandalfthecat said:

If you're at all romantic about sports it's Go Bucs. 

That's a really interesting comment.  Who are the good guys and who are the villains?  You could argue that Brady is the villain because the dude wins so much.  Or he's the sentimental favorite.

What would have made this more fun is if Mahomes had lost the SB last year.  Then it's the young hungry superstar seeking redemption vs. the legend trying to defeat Father Time.  Or Michael Jordan going for his first championship vs. Magic.

What we have is still pretty great though.  I thought Green Bay-KC would be a better game, but this is a better story.

I got the Bucs over the Chiefs. ONLY because that Bucs D is looking Fierce and may slow down that Chiefs O enough to let Tom do enough to win..

Also...if AB plays thats the icing on the cake for the Bucs O.

31 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

I got the Bucs over the Chiefs. ONLY because that Bucs D is looking Fierce and may slow down that Chiefs O enough to let Tom do enough to win..

Also...if AB plays thats the icing on the cake for the Bucs O.

The Chiefs THIRD best corner is going to have to cover AB. Good luck. 

It comes to down to whether the Chiefs will be able to score at will. They usually do. 

4 minutes ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

Jesus.  I'd rather take $2K of that and make myself a boss theater to watch the game.

Fa reals. Oh, and not catch Covid at that super spreader event.

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Fa reals. Oh, and not catch Covid at that super spreader event.

Come on you know that is not true. Be smart stay safe it can be done. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1