NBC Sports Edge Forums

This is promising to be the most chaotic offseason for QB movement in recent memory.

The following teams either have no QB, or badly need an upgrade. 

Dallas

Indy

Jacksonville

Chicago

New England

Washington

Denver

NY Jets

Detroit

*Houston (assuming Watson is gone) 

*Niners (If they are done with Jimmy G)

*Miami (if they don't trust Tua)

** Pittsburgh (if Big Ben is done)

** Atlanta (if they move on from Matt Ryan)

** Carolina (if you aren't buying Teddy Ballgame as a franchise QB)

** Rams (if the reports of a rift between McVay and Goff are true)

That's somewhere between a third, and as much as half the league that could be searching for a new starting QB.

Outside of Dak, a few promising rookies, and the vets who appear certain to get traded, there aren't many QB's available on the FA market. So how do you see this all shaking out. What are your bold predictions for the offseason. Who will find themselves out of a job, and who will find themselves starting in a new location. What teams will end up with an empty chair?

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, if you're the Bears, you'd give up many to move up ONE spot and NOT draft Patrick Mahomes. 

The question with guys like Wentz and Goff should not be "how much will you give for him" but rather "how much does the team getting rid have to throw in as compensation for their terrible contracts?"

2 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Patriots get Stafford or, JimmyG...cause Bill loves Jimmy G

I wouldnt want JimmyG in NE tho. ugh

Would Stafford be down for NE. Seems crazy, but that's not really a win-now situation. I think Stafford is going to insist on landing in a better situation. 

Edited by ajs723
1 minute ago, ajs723 said:

Would Stafford be down for NE. Seems crazy, but that's not really a win-now situation. I think Stafford is going to insist on landing in a better situation. 

Not if Bill gets some dogs in FA..No way we continue with N' keal Harry

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ajs723 said:

Yeah they need to add some at least some playmakers including at least one stud wr prob more but could do it. Also 8 or 9 guys opted out b/c of COVID. And they won 7 games with a QB who was unable to complete a 20 yard pass.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Joe Mama said:

Yeah they need to add some at least some playmakers including at least one stud wr prob more but could do it. Also 8 or 9 guys opted out b/c of COVID. And they won 7 games with a QB who was unable to complete a 20 yard pass.

It would be the best defense Stafford has ever had, but also the worst offense. They have nothing. They need to add two outside WRs, at least one pass-catching TE, and a RB. That's a lot to ask in one offseason. 

2 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

It would be the best defense Stafford has ever had, but also the worst offense. They have nothing. They need to add two outside WRs, at least one pass-catching TE, and a RB. That's a lot to ask in one offseason. 

Damien Harris is a More than capable RB IMO

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Damien Harris is a More than capable RB IMO

Ehhh.. he's a good committee back. They need someone more explosive. What's the difference between Harris and Gus Edwards?

Just now, ajs723 said:

Ehhh.. he's a good committee back. They need someone more explosive. What's the difference between Harris and Gus Edwards?

Damien has the better first name IMO

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

He’s right Harris is great. But we need QB, 2 WR, and a TE. 

Defense is fine. As is special teams. Belichick rolled money into this season. 

GM Belichick need make moves to make coach Belichick thrive. 

Alright let's try this too.  The lead post had 16 teams with QB situations as potentially in flux.   Here are all the players I see that are potential starters that aren't currently in a known, stable situation  This list is intentionally stretchy, a few names here might seem improbable of course, but remember, Tyrod Taylor started week one, and Mike Glennon was starting even when Minshew was healthy. 

• Newton
  • Tua
  • Darnold
  • Fitzmagic
  • Big Ben
  • Minshew
  • Watson
  • Lock
  • Dak
  • Wentz
  • Hurts
  • Trubisky
  • Stafford
  • Bridgewater
  • Winston
  • Taysom Hill
  • Matt Ryan
  • Jimmy G
  • Goff
  • Mac Jones
  • Zach Wilson
  • Fields
  • Lawrence
  • Trey Lance

8 guys on that list will not be week 1 starters.   I can't see Dak, Ryan, Ben, Stafford, and Watson not starting somewhere, short of retirement of course.  I feel solid about Lawrence, Tua, Taysom Hill as well.   There's 8 of 16.     Now, take the rest and scramble em up, lets see what comes of it!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, BrianM said:

Alright let's try this too.  The lead post had 16 teams with QB situations as potentially in flux.   Here are all the players I see that are potential starters that aren't currently in a known, stable situation  This list is intentionally stretchy, a few names here might seem improbable of course, but remember, Tyrod Taylor started week one, and Mike Glennon was starting even when Minshew was healthy. 

• Newton
  • Tua
  • Darnold
  • Fitzmagic
  • Big Ben
  • Minshew
  • Watson
  • Lock
  • Dak
  • Wentz
  • Hurts
  • Trubisky
  • Stafford
  • Bridgewater
  • Winston
  • Taysom Hill
  • Matt Ryan
  • Jimmy G
  • Goff
  • Mac Jones
  • Zach Wilson
  • Fields
  • Lawrence
  • Trey Lance

8 guys on that list will not be week 1 starters.   I can't see Dak, Ryan, Ben, Stafford, and Watson not starting somewhere, short of retirement of course.  I feel solid about Lawrence, Tua, Taysom Hill as well.   There's 8 of 16.     Now, take the rest and scramble em up, lets see what comes of it!

Newton, Darnold, Fitz, Minshew, Lock, Wentz OR Hurts, Trubisky, and Winston could all potentially come up short of a starting job. 

Also don't think all of those rookies will be starters right away. 

Add Jimmy G, Goff, and Big Ben to the list of guys who could be out of a starting job for one reason or another.

Again, this is going to be madness. 

3 hours ago, BrianM said:

• Newton
  • Tua
  • Darnold
  • Fitzmagic
  • Big Ben
  • Minshew
  • Watson
  • Lock
  • Dak
  • Wentz
  • Hurts
  • Trubisky
  • Stafford
  • Bridgewater
  • Winston
  • Taysom Hill
  • Matt Ryan
  • Jimmy G
  • Goff
  • Mac Jones
  • Zach Wilson
  • Fields
  • Lawrence
  • Trey Lance

I took a stab at this. I had already started this before you posted. But your post made me spend enough time to finish it. I went through each team on spotrac.com to look at contract situations including back ups. I think made some guesses. I guessed Stafford to Indy. And I assumed Detroit will draft Fields as the QB. I assumed Watson to NY Jets for Darnold and picks. I assumed Dalton to Houston to stay in Texas and groom compete for starting role in Houston. I then looked at openings and drafted QBs into the open slots. And for open back up slots I put guys I thought matched well that were vets not likely to start. Feel free to provide feedback. I know it won’t all be accurate, as it’s tough to predict. But some of it will be very accurate. I feel there is a lot riding on the winner of the Stafford sweepstakes between the 49ers and Indy. 

• Sam Darnold(Houston)
  • Andy Dalton(backup Houston)
  • Tua Tagvailoa(Miami)
  • Cam Newton(backup Miami)
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick(Washington)
  • Zack Wilson(backup Washington)
  • Ben Roethlessberger(Pittsburgh)
  • Mason Rudolph(backup Pittsburgh)
  • Trevor Lawrence(Jacksonville)
  • Gardner Minshew(backup Jacksonville)
  • Deshaun Watson(NY Jets)
  • James Morgan(backup NY Jets)
  • Drew Lock(Denver)
  • Jeff Driscoll(backup Denver)
  • Dak Prescott(Dallas)
  • Ben Dinucci(backup Dallas)
  • Carson Wentz(Eagles)
  • Jaylen Hurts(backup Eagles)
  • Matt Stafford(Indy)
  • Jacob Eason(backup Indy)
  • Teddy Bridgewater(Carolina)
  • Will Grier(backup Carolina)
  • Jameis Winston(backup NO)
  • Taysom Hill(NO)
  • Matt Ryan(Atlanta)
  • Brett Hundley(backup Atlanta)
  • Jimmy Garrapollo(Patriots)
  • Jarred Stidham(Patriots)
  • Trey Lance(49ers)
  • Nick Mullens(backup 49ers)
  • Jared Goff(Rams)
  • Devein Hodges(Rams)
  • Mac Jones(Chicago)
  • Nick Foles(backup Chicago)
  • Justin Fields(Detroit)
  • Chase Daniels(backup Detroit)
  • Josh Allen(Buffalo)
  • Jake Fromm(backup Buffalo)
  • Daniel Jones(NY Giants)
  • Mitchell Trubisky(backup NY Giants)
  • Justin Herbert(LA Chargers)
  • Easton Stick(backup LA Chargers)
  • Kirk Cousins(Minnesota)
  • Tyrod Taylor(backup Minnesota)
  • Patrick Mahomes(KC)
  • Chad Henne(backup KC)
  • Aaron Rodgers(GB)
  • Jordan Love(backup GB)
  • Derek Carr(LV)
  • Marcus Marriota(backup LV)
  • Kyler Murray(AZ)
  • Robert Griffen(backup AZ)
  • Ryan Tannehill(Tennessee)
  • Jacoby Brissett(backup Tennessee)
  • Joe Burrow(Cincinnati)
  • Ryan Finley(backup Cincinnati)
  • Lamar Jackson(Baltimore)
  • Trace McSorely(backup Baltimore)
  • Baker Mayfield(Cleveland)
  • Case Keenum(backup Cleveland)
  • Tom Brady(Tampa)
  • Kyle Trask(backup Tampa)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Crickets

Well yeah. You posted a lot there (and good on ya); obviously there are lots of ideas there and many wild swings and I'm sure there'll be a couple misses and possibly one over the fence.

Let's take a stab. I bold the ones I agree with. Underlined are the drafts; italic the potential trades.

49ers    Trey Lance    Nick Mullens: It's not impossible that the 49ers draft a QB, but given where they are (I think they're a QB away from being a solid playoff team for the next years) I would rather expect them to either trade for a solid one or try Jimmy G one more year (he hasn't been that terrible). Also, Trey Lance might go higher than 12, and I think he will need loads of mentoring before starting in the NFL.

Atlanta    Matt Ryan    Brett Hundley: If I'm Atlanta I totally agree with this. Keep Ryan, have some backup. Not sure everyone agrees on this.

AZ    Kyler Murray    Robert Griffen; Kyler stays, this is clear; Griffen is interesting because he is a similar kind of QB and has experience, but I'd rather have someone who is more complimentary. Not impossible though.

Baltimore    Lamar Jackson    Trace McSorely: Yep, with you here.

Buffalo    Josh Allen    Jake Fromm: Agree.

Carolina    Teddy Bridgewater    Will Grier: This is where it gets interesting. I don't think these 2 are good enough to get the Panthers where they want to go, and I think they will have to invest.

Chicago    Mac Jones    Nick Foles: That's an interesting idea; another interesting nugget is that Jones apparently visited NE or talked to them.

Cincinnati    Joe Burrow    Ryan Finley: If I'm the Bengals I wouldn't mind a more experienced backup, in case the knee injury lingers a bit longer. But then again, the Bengals.

Cleveland    Baker Mayfield    Case Keenum: Yup

Dallas    Dak Prescott    Ben Dinucci: Prescott yes, either through fanchise tag or through extension, although it may depend on the cap for the coming years. Ben Dinucci... did he show you anything you would want to keep?

Denver    Drew Lock    Jeff Driscoll: I assume they'll give Lock another chance, but I'd like a better backup, and possibly an alternative #1. It's one of those situations where the Ryan Fitzpaticks of the world fit perfectly.

Detroit    Justin Fields    Chase Daniels: I think the Lions would need to trade up for Fields, but maybe with the results of the Stafford trade, who knows. I guess they'll be drafting a QB though, I agree that far, not sure if they can get him, or maybe Zach Wilson.

Eagles    Carson Wentz    Jaylen Hurts: I agree with you, but I also totally disagree with the Eagles. Carson needs a change of scenery, Hurts needs a chance, and this is one of those cases where having 2 QBs is having none.

GB    Aaron Rodgers    Jordan Love: Yeah I don't see Rodgers retiring or getting traded.

Houston    Sam Darnold    Andy Dalton: If the Jets manage to make that trade, yes, I guess Darnold goes to the Texans. Dalton from Dallas to Houston - that would be funny, but I think they will manage to get someone worse,

Indy    Matt Stafford    Jacob Eason: You're not the only one seeing Stafford here; but he's projected pretty much everywhere. Eason as a backup seems a good guess.

Jacksonville    Trevor Lawrence    Gardner Minshew: I like this combo, although we'll have to see how Minshew does as a backup.

KC    Patrick Mahomes    Chad Henne: Yep. Henne was surprisingly good as a replacement.

LA Chargers    Justin Herbert    Easton Stick: Definitely Herbert, who managed to surprise a lot of people. 

LV    Derek Carr    Marcus Marriota: I think so. Mariota didn't look bad in Vegas.

Miami    Tua Tagvailoa    Cam Newton: I don't think Cam gets another chance, to be honest, and I say that without any joy because 2015 Cam was great to watch as a neutral fan. But 2020 Cam... nah.

Minnesota    Kirk Cousins    Tyrod Taylor: Taylor in Minnesota wouldn't be terrible. Let cousins run the show, and you have a decent backup in case of emergency (but not a league winner). Long shot though.

NO    Taysom Hill    Jameis Winston: I'm afraid that's a fairly reasonable scenario. Brees may come back though.

NY Giants    Daniel Jones    Mitchell Trubisky: Trubbers at the Giants! That's... interesting. What odds are you giving here? ;)

NY Jets    Deshaun Watson    James Morgan: Yeah this is starting to look more likely. Morgan... I had to look him up and I think the most interesting bit about him is the draft pick they used on him which got traded from the Bears to the Pats to the Jets.

Patriots    Jimmy Garroppolo    Jarrett Stidham: Let's give you that Jimmy G. You seem to be the only one who likes him ;) You do need to book up on the spelling of both your QBs if you get them though ;)

Pittsburgh    Ben Roethlisberger    Mason Rudolph: Yup.

Rams    Jared Goff    Devein Hodges: Goff yes (they can't afford to get rid of him. Hodges... why would they trade for him?

Seattle: You left this one out but I'm guess Russell Wilson is obvious, and there's no main reason to drop Geno Smith I guess.

Tampa    Tom Brady    Kyle Trask: Ooh, I like that. Get a young stud, let him learn from the best and be ready for 2022.

Tennessee    Ryan Tannehill    Jacoby Brissett: Obviously Tanny is staying. Acquiring Brissett... I don't know. I'd rather pick up some 3rd round QB and see if you can mentor him a bit (Tannehill would seem the perfect person for that).

Washington    Ryan Fitzpatrick    Zack Wilson: I agree they're going to try and draft a QB, but WFT currently has the #19 pick and I will bet heavily against Wilson still being there, so they would need to trade up, and that doesn't seem like Rivera's style. Regarding Fitz: I think any team who drafts a QB wants him now. He's the perfect guy to do it, so he could go here, or any number of teams. Basically if you are going to draft anyone but Lawrence, I think you're on the phone with Fitz.

All around good job, really interesting!

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Well yeah. You posted a lot there (and good on ya); obviously there are lots of ideas there and many wild swings and I'm sure there'll be a couple misses and possibly one over the fence.

Let's take a stab. I bold the ones I agree with. Underlined are the drafts; italic the potential trades.

49ers    Trey Lance    Nick Mullens: It's not impossible that the 49ers draft a QB, but given where they are (I think they're a QB away from being a solid playoff team for the next years) I would rather expect them to either trade for a solid one or try Jimmy G one more year (he hasn't been that terrible). Also, Trey Lance might go higher than 12, and I think he will need loads of mentoring before starting in the NFL.

Atlanta    Matt Ryan    Brett Hundley: If I'm Atlanta I totally agree with this. Keep Ryan, have some backup. Not sure everyone agrees on this.

AZ    Kyler Murray    Robert Griffen; Kyler stays, this is clear; Griffen is interesting because he is a similar kind of QB and has experience, but I'd rather have someone who is more complimentary. Not impossible though.

Baltimore    Lamar Jackson    Trace McSorely: Yep, with you here.

Buffalo    Josh Allen    Jake Fromm: Agree.

Carolina    Teddy Bridgewater    Will Grier: This is where it gets interesting. I don't think these 2 are good enough to get the Panthers where they want to go, and I think they will have to invest.

Chicago    Mac Jones    Nick Foles: That's an interesting idea; another interesting nugget is that Jones apparently visited NE or talked to them.

Cincinnati    Joe Burrow    Ryan Finley: If I'm the Bengals I wouldn't mind a more experienced backup, in case the knee injury lingers a bit longer. But then again, the Bengals.

Cleveland    Baker Mayfield    Case Keenum: Yup

Dallas    Dak Prescott    Ben Dinucci: Prescott yes, either through fanchise tag or through extension, although it may depend on the cap for the coming years. Ben Dinucci... did he show you anything you would want to keep?

Denver    Drew Lock    Jeff Driscoll: I assume they'll give Lock another chance, but I'd like a better backup, and possibly an alternative #1. It's one of those situations where the Ryan Fitzpaticks of the world fit perfectly.

Detroit    Justin Fields    Chase Daniels: I think the Lions would need to trade up for Fields, but maybe with the results of the Stafford trade, who knows. I guess they'll be drafting a QB though, I agree that far, not sure if they can get him, or maybe Zach Wilson.

Eagles    Carson Wentz    Jaylen Hurts: I agree with you, but I also totally disagree with the Eagles. Carson needs a change of scenery, Hurts needs a chance, and this is one of those cases where having 2 QBs is having none.

GB    Aaron Rodgers    Jordan Love: Yeah I don't see Rodgers retiring or getting traded.

Houston    Sam Darnold    Andy Dalton: If the Jets manage to make that trade, yes, I guess Darnold goes to the Texans. Dalton from Dallas to Houston - that would be funny, but I think they will manage to get someone worse,

Indy    Matt Stafford    Jacob Eason: You're not the only one seeing Stafford here; but he's projected pretty much everywhere. Eason as a backup seems a good guess.

Jacksonville    Trevor Lawrence    Gardner Minshew: I like this combo, although we'll have to see how Minshew does as a backup.

KC    Patrick Mahomes    Chad Henne: Yep. Henne was surprisingly good as a replacement.

LA Chargers    Justin Herbert    Easton Stick: Definitely Herbert, who managed to surprise a lot of people. 

LV    Derek Carr    Marcus Marriota: I think so. Mariota didn't look bad in Vegas.

Miami    Tua Tagvailoa    Cam Newton: I don't think Cam gets another chance, to be honest, and I say that without any joy because 2015 Cam was great to watch as a neutral fan. But 2020 Cam... nah.

Minnesota    Kirk Cousins    Tyrod Taylor: Taylor in Minnesota wouldn't be terrible. Let cousins run the show, and you have a decent backup in case of emergency (but not a league winner). Long shot though.

NO    Taysom Hill    Jameis Winston: I'm afraid that's a fairly reasonable scenario. Brees may come back though.

NY Giants    Daniel Jones    Mitchell Trubisky: Trubbers at the Giants! That's... interesting. What odds are you giving here? ;)

NY Jets    Deshaun Watson    James Morgan: Yeah this is starting to look more likely. Morgan... I had to look him up and I think the most interesting bit about him is the draft pick they used on him which got traded from the Bears to the Pats to the Jets.

Patriots    Jimmy Garroppolo    Jarrett Stidham: Let's give you that Jimmy G. You seem to be the only one who likes him ;) You do need to book up on the spelling of both your QBs if you get them though ;)

Pittsburgh    Ben Roethlisberger    Mason Rudolph: Yup.

Rams    Jared Goff    Devein Hodges: Goff yes (they can't afford to get rid of him. Hodges... why would they trade for him?

Seattle: You left this one out but I'm guess Russell Wilson is obvious, and there's no main reason to drop Geno Smith I guess.

Tampa    Tom Brady    Kyle Trask: Ooh, I like that. Get a young stud, let him learn from the best and be ready for 2022.

Tennessee    Ryan Tannehill    Jacoby Brissett: Obviously Tanny is staying. Acquiring Brissett... I don't know. I'd rather pick up some 3rd round QB and see if you can mentor him a bit (Tannehill would seem the perfect person for that).

Washington    Ryan Fitzpatrick    Zack Wilson: I agree they're going to try and draft a QB, but WFT currently has the #19 pick and I will bet heavily against Wilson still being there, so they would need to trade up, and that doesn't seem like Rivera's style. Regarding Fitz: I think any team who drafts a QB wants him now. He's the perfect guy to do it, so he could go here, or any number of teams. Basically if you are going to draft anyone but Lawrence, I think you're on the phone with Fitz.

All around good job, really interesting!

Good feedback. How could I forget Wilson?!?! 🙈

Wilson!

tom-hanks-wilson.jpg

• Haha 1
On 1/25/2021 at 8:13 PM, PizzaBeerFF said:

I’m a Mac Jones fan. Teaching long ball is tough. He’s got that. Good coaching hmmm

Not a Mac Jones fan. He’s good as long as he has a clean pocket, but he melts as soon as he faces pressure and crumbles. He does not do well when a defense gets after him, which rarely happened in Alabama and their loaded OL. 

• Like 1

Every year there's a clickiness/wishful thinking to get more QB's in the first round than the teams actually feel qualify for that designation, and I feel like Mac Jones might be that guy this year.   Think back to years prior when you saw names like Mason Rudolph, Geno Smith, Paxton Lynch*, Kizer, Clausen, Drew Lock, and maybe more guys going in 1st rounds of many mocks, and it didn't smell right.  Lo and behold, they didn't land there.   

*Lol, Paxton Lynch actually DID get drafted in the first, super LOLZ

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Every year there's a clickiness/wishful thinking to get more QB's in the first round than the teams actually feel qualify for that designation

Good point. As also mentioned elsewhere, we fantasy nerds focus on Offense (and QBs) but good teams draft D.

My favorite Captain Hindsight draft supports this too-  2011.   If you drafted in the top 16, and resisted the allure of taking a QB there (except for Newton), you got a Pro Bowler*, with at least  4-5 guys that are borderline HOF material:   Newton, Von Miller, Dareus, AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, Julio, Aldon Smith, Tyron Smith, JJ Watt, Robert Quinn, Pouncey, and Kerrigan..................

...........or you got Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, or Yo Gabba Gabbert.   *One exception- Nick Fairley to Detroit

This may be irrelevant but I think we'll see at least a couple of teams who on paper seem like fits to take a QB in the first wind up passing on some of the lower ranked guys.   It isn't as if there is a shortage of moderately capable QB's.  

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Not a Mac Jones fan. He’s good as long as he has a clean pocket, but he melts as soon as he faces pressure and crumbles. He does not do well when a defense gets after him, which rarely happened in Alabama and their loaded OL. 

Reminds me of Tom Brady.