NBC Sports Edge Forums

12 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

I just mean it's much ado about nothing. I'm sure he's mad, but the Seahawks are a good team with a great QB. It would be unforgivable for them to trade him away while he still has years of his prime left. I don't think they can possibly be that braindead. 

If he wants out he wants out.

FTR, I 100% side with Wilson. Since Paul Allen has passed away the rumors are Carroll has been able to run around with no accountability. As I mentioned earlier, I would can Carroll and be done with it. Wilson is worth 10x. Just look at Brady and Bill...

• Like 3
  • Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, if you're the Bears, you'd give up many to move up ONE spot and NOT draft Patrick Mahomes. 

The question with guys like Wentz and Goff should not be "how much will you give for him" but rather "how much does the team getting rid have to throw in as compensation for their terrible contracts?"

Looks like the Steelers and BB are going to work something out financially so he will be back this season. But, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them do something to improve their QB situation (either in the draft or FA) for life post Ben. Also, for insurance in case BB just can't get it done. IIRC, he started off pretty good in 2020, but his accuracy and arm strength waned as the season played out.

Steelers president Art Rooney II said he has no performance-based concerns about Ben Roethlisberger. 

Rooney reiterated that the team would need to figure out contract restructuring with Roethlisberger before March 17, the opening of free agency, when teams must be compliant with the 2021 salary cap. "We think Ben played at a high level last year," said Rooney. "We won our division and set a franchise record for most consecutive wins to open a season, so there was a lot of good stuff." "His arm," Rooney added, " ... is as strong or almost as strong as ever, so I think he's certainly capable of getting the job done." Coming off elbow surgery that kept him sidelined for most of the 2019 season, Roethlisberger in 2020 posted a career low 6.3 yards per attempt -- a full 1.4 yards per attempt lower than his career average and 2.7 yards lower than his career best. There's plenty of reason to question the 38 year old's arm strength as he prepares for one last run with the Steelers. 

Source: Steelers.com
Feb 26, 2021, 8:26 AM ET

As was already pretty universally thought, Fitz will likely be playing for someone else in 2021. How many different teams will that make it, 8? 9?

The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero reports Ryan Fitzpatrick "believes he’s played well enough the past couple of years to get a chance to at least compete for a starting job with some team."

The Dolphins' commitment to Tua Tagovailoa as the team's starter means Fitzpatrick would have to look elsewhere this offseason if he wants a starting gig. Fitzpatrick was less than thrilled with Miami's decision to bench him at midseason in favor of Tagovailoa, who struggled throughout the second half of the season. The Broncos reportedly have interest in Fitzpatrick, though the team remains in the Deshaun Watson conversation. Drew Lock could be the latest young quarterback to lose his starting job to Fitz if he signed with Denver. The grizzled veteran has a lengthy history of unseating young signal callers, including Geno Smith, Jameis Winston, and Josh Rosen. The Dolphins will need to remove any and all competition for Tua to be the team's opening day starter. There's almost no chance Fitzpatrick returns to South Florida. 

Feb 26, 2021, 11:24 AM ET

Alex Smith cut...already talk of him joining back up with Urban to be a mentor to T Lawrence. Some team is gonna have a great opportunity to swoop in and get Minshew for a bargain. I could see SF? He would work well in a Shanny system.

57 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Alex Smith cut...already talk of him joining back up with Urban to be a mentor to T Lawrence. Some team is gonna have a great opportunity to swoop in and get Minshew for a bargain. I could see SF? He would work well in a Shanny system.

Pats?  A cheap rookie contract Minshew ($900k cap hit for 2021) being mentored by a cheap Cam being signed to another $2mm deal would probably appeal to them given their roster situation.  Why bring in someone like JimmyG who will cost $20mm/year more than Minshew and probably won't give you 20x as much production per cap dollar?  Minshew can probably be had for almost free in trade capital (if he doesn't get cut outright) which means they can devote their draft resources to offensive weapons they sorely need.  Bring in ARob, Curtis Samuel, and Gerald Everett in FA and let Minshew rip with Cam mixing it up periodically.  

Think of it as a much cheaper version of what NO was trying to do with Drew Brees and Taysom Hill, with Minshew playing poor mans Brees and Cam being a better version of Hill.  And Minshew is certainly worth a YOLO considering Pats will probably be a game or two within .500 next year anyway even if they had Mahomes under center with their current weapons.   

Minshew for 2 years dirt cheap is way more appealing to me than pretty much every other QB rumored to switch teams this offseason.    You know where he might be absolutely perfect?  Pittsburgh.   One year behind Ben, also acting as a better #2 than they've had in a long time, and then he takes over in 2022.   

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Minshew for 2 years dirt cheap is way more appealing to me than pretty much every other QB rumored to switch teams this offseason.    You know where he might be absolutely perfect?  Pittsburgh.   One year behind Ben, also acting as a better #2 than they've had in a long time, and then he takes over in 2022.   

Minshew can be serviceable somewhere, but Pitt wouldn’t be one I would pick.  Once teams realizes that Ben had limited arm strength, their offense wasn’t good.  Minshew doesn’t have Ben’s arm or experience and would be a bad fit unless there was a complete change in their offensive system

• Like 1

Will be interesting to see what NE ends up doing. I personally don't see them making a big move up the draft board, but stranger things have happened.

The Athletic's Jeff Howe reports the Patriots are "aggressively scouting" the NFL Draft's top quarterbacks. 

The organization is doing its homework on every top QB prospect, including Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence, BYU’s Zach Wilson, North Dakota State’s Trey Lance, Ohio State’s Justin Fields, and Alabama’s Mac Jones. Landing a top QB would require the Pats to trade up from their No. 15 draft spot, a scenario that could be driven by the team's "real urgency to find a long-term answer at quarterback," per Howe. The Patriots would probably have to deal their No. 15 pick and their 2022 first rounder if they want to move into the top-10 in this spring's draft. Unless they somehow move into the first two picks, New England won't have a shot at Lawrence or Wilson. 

Source: The Athletic
Mar 2, 2021, 9:13 AM ET

I feel like Detroit is a prime candidate to trade down, and with QB ravenous Carolina sitting one pick behind them, that might be a sweet spot.   If they love a guy and he's there, and it won't cost their 2022 first rounder, that's sensible.

13 hours ago, The G Man said:

Will be interesting to see what NE ends up doing. I personally don't see them making a big move up the draft board, but stranger things have happened.

The Athletic's Jeff Howe reports the Patriots are "aggressively scouting" the NFL Draft's top quarterbacks. 

The organization is doing its homework on every top QB prospect, including Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence, BYU’s Zach Wilson, North Dakota State’s Trey Lance, Ohio State’s Justin Fields, and Alabama’s Mac Jones. Landing a top QB would require the Pats to trade up from their No. 15 draft spot, a scenario that could be driven by the team's "real urgency to find a long-term answer at quarterback," per Howe. The Patriots would probably have to deal their No. 15 pick and their 2022 first rounder if they want to move into the top-10 in this spring's draft. Unless they somehow move into the first two picks, New England won't have a shot at Lawrence or Wilson. 

Source: The Athletic
Mar 2, 2021, 9:13 AM ET

They should easily have a shot at Jones, assuming he merits even that high of a pick. Paying heavy to move up for anyone else would be stupid.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2021 at 1:05 AM, bomont said:

They should easily have a shot at Jones, assuming he merits even that high of a pick. Paying heavy to move up for anyone else would be stupid.

He just seems so obvious to the Pats.

On 3/3/2021 at 12:05 AM, bomont said:

1 minute ago, Ricky Bobby said:

He just seems so obvious to the Pats.

Saw this article the other days where June Jones was quoted as saying Mac Jones will be viewed as the best QB in the class in 5 years.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/alabamas-mac-jones-quarterback-nfl-draft-june-jones

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, The G Man said:

Saw this article the other days where June Jones was quoted as saying Mac Jones will be viewed as the best QB in the class in 5 years.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/alabamas-mac-jones-quarterback-nfl-draft-june-jones

June Jones appears sold on Mac jones accuracy, that's fair. The comment section of articles like this are usually a quagmire, there's actually better comments though than points in the articles in this case. I don't agree with June Jones, but Mac Jones could go a lot earlier than expected. It wouldn't surprise me actually. in any case, he's going to a much less dominant team than he's used to playing for, that much I know.

Patriots re-signed Cam Newton to a one-year contract worth around $14 million. 

It marks a huge increase over the $1.1 million the veteran made with the Patriots in 2020. Newton's first year with the Patriots was an unmitigated disaster, thanks largely to the circumstances of the NFL's COVID-19 season. Newton, who had to learn a new offense in a shortened offseason program, said he never recovered from missing multiple weeks on the COVID list following a promising start to the year. "I was behind and I was thinking too much," Newton said in February. “The offense kept going and I was stagnant for two weeks." Newton's return to New England seemed possible after the Boston Globe reported in February that head coach Bill Belichick had "done nothing but rave" about Newton. The team adopted a massively run-heavy offense with Newton under center, resulting in a shockingly low eight touchdown passes in 15 games for Newton (to go along with 10 interceptions). The Pats are reportedly interested in drafting one of the top QBs available in this spring's NFL Draft -- an essential move since they clearly see Newton as a bridge quarterback. 

Mar 12, 2021, 8:24 AM ET

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports Cam Newton's one-year contract with the Patriots includes $5 million in base value.

It's vastly different language from the initial report that stated Newton had re-signed for $14 million. He'll receive a $2 million signing bonus and $1.5 million in guaranteed money and per-game bonuses, but the remaining $9 million will have to be accrued via longshot incentives for the playoffs, Pro Bowl, All-Pro, MVP, Super Bowl MVP, etc. The Patriots still have the third-most cap space ($68.64 million) in the NFL and will likely look to address its offense with a majority of that number, quarterback included.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Mar 12, 2021, 3:27 PM ET

1 hour ago, lolcopter said:

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports Cam Newton's one-year contract with the Patriots includes $5 million in base value.

It's vastly different language from the initial report that stated Newton had re-signed for $14 million. He'll receive a $2 million signing bonus and $1.5 million in guaranteed money and per-game bonuses, but the remaining $9 million will have to be accrued via longshot incentives for the playoffs, Pro Bowl, All-Pro, MVP, Super Bowl MVP, etc. The Patriots still have the third-most cap space ($68.64 million) in the NFL and will likely look to address its offense with a majority of that number, quarterback included.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Mar 12, 2021, 3:27 PM ET

Cool....now give him some weapons...

I think Cam's good as a bridge guy but that's about it.   5 million isn't bad for that.    This doesn't keep NE out of the QB draft pool, but I think a Jimmy G or other vet addition is off the table.    

9 hours ago, lolcopter said:

He'll receive a $2 million signing bonus and $1.5 million in guaranteed money and per-game bonuses

NFL contracts are mostly smoke and mirrors.

6T8O9FM.gif

• Like 1

Perplexing situation in New Orleans. Hard to know exactly how this is all gonna play out.

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports Jameis Winston and Taysom Hill will compete for the Saints' starting QB job in training camp.

Russini said the team is working on a new contract for Winston, who is slated to be a free agent this week. However, a new deal "would not mean Winston is the starter," Russini said. The Saints are expected to have their two QBs engage in a full-blown QB competition following Drew Brees' retirement. The team on Sunday gave Hill a largely-voidable four-year, $140 million contract. In four starts last season, Hill averaged 21.1 fantasy points -- a number buoyed by his 209 rushing yards and four rushing touchdowns over that stretch. Now he'll go head to head with Winston to see who takes over for Brees. 

Mar 15, 2021, 8:34 AM ET
22 minutes ago, The G Man said:

Perplexing situation in New Orleans. Hard to know exactly how this is all gonna play out.

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports Jameis Winston and Taysom Hill will compete for the Saints' starting QB job in training camp.

Russini said the team is working on a new contract for Winston, who is slated to be a free agent this week. However, a new deal "would not mean Winston is the starter," Russini said. The Saints are expected to have their two QBs engage in a full-blown QB competition following Drew Brees' retirement. The team on Sunday gave Hill a largely-voidable four-year, $140 million contract. In four starts last season, Hill averaged 21.1 fantasy points -- a number buoyed by his 209 rushing yards and four rushing touchdowns over that stretch. Now he'll go head to head with Winston to see who takes over for Brees. 

Mar 15, 2021, 8:34 AM ET

On some levels makes some sense. On the other hand there’s the old saying ‘if you have two QBs you don’t have any...”

31 minutes ago, Joe Mama said:

On some levels makes some sense. On the other hand there’s the old saying ‘if you have two QBs you don’t have any...”

Not a great bargaining chip to tell JW, “If you sign with us, you’ll have to do it for less, and also you’ll be competing with the guy you played behind last year. Why wouldn’t he just go chase a big contract elsewhere?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Not a great bargaining chip to tell JW, “If you sign with us, you’ll have to do it for less, and also you’ll be competing with the guy you played behind last year. Why wouldn’t he just go chase a big contract elsewhere?

Excellent question - the Saints must be reeeeally sure he wants to re-up with them!