NBC Sports Edge Forums

19 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Another thing, the Panthers trade is even worse when you consider the depth of this QB class. They could've likely drafted either Fields or Lance with their pick instead of trading for arguably the worst starter in the entire NFL.

Last season there was no fans and literally everything was geared towards the offense. 2020 saw nearly double (14) the amount of teams scoring 3+ TDs per game compared to 2019 (8). Scoring was up massively across the board in the easiest season for offenses by far. Despite this Darnold failed to reach 200 yards passing over 80% of the time.  For the 35 qualified QBs last season he ranked 35th in passer rating and 33rd in QBR. He also had twice as many games with multiple interceptions as games with multiple TDs and he was 3rd in the NFL in uncatchable balls thrown 10+ yards down the field.

This dude was awful. Not underwhelming or bad. He was downright pathetic. You can blame Gase for making a decent QB play underwhelming sure. However, Gase didn't make Darnold suck this bad. All he did is turned a bad QB into the worst QB in the NFL but it doesn't change that he will still suck without Gase maybe just a little less.

I’m a bit skeptical of Darnold but counter argument is Qbs in the draft are a crapshoot and now they’ll be able to draft Pitts potentially or another top player

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, if you're the Bears, you'd give up many to move up ONE spot and NOT draft Patrick Mahomes. 

The question with guys like Wentz and Goff should not be "how much will you give for him" but rather "how much does the team getting rid have to throw in as compensation for their terrible contracts?"

26 minutes ago, Joe Mama said:

I’m a bit skeptical of Darnold but counter argument is Qbs in the draft are a crapshoot and now they’ll be able to draft Pitts potentially or another top player

Right but at least you're taking a shot at a QB. Darnold is not a carpshoot he just sucks. Sure now they can draft like Sewell, Slater, or Surtain but they didn't need to give up draft capital to trade for one of the worst QBs in the NFL in order to draft one of those guys. 

1 minute ago, Gohawks said:

Right but at least you're taking a shot at a QB. Darnold is not a carpshoot he just sucks. Sure now they can draft like Sewell, Slater, or Surtain but they didn't need to give up draft capital to trade for one of the worst QBs in the NFL in order to draft one of those guys. 

Well obviously Carolina thinks he can be salvaged. Don’t love the move but don’t think it’s crazy. He is only 23. 

Just now, Joe Mama said:

Well obviously Carolina thinks he can be salvaged. Don’t love the move but don’t think it’s crazy. He is only 23. 

That and his salary is cheap, like a quarter the cost of Bridgewater this year, only $4.7mm.  They could pick up his 5th year option and 2021 and 2022 combined would still be less than Bridgewater for just 2021.  If Darnold works out the front office looks like geniuses for getting the next Tannehill for cheap, if he doesn't then he buys them another year of patience from owner/fans to try again in 2022 draft, or pick another option off the scrap heap if they get waived during cutdowns in training camp.  They'll probably get back roughly equivalent draft picks from trading Bridgewater that they gave up to get Darnold, so it's basically a salary dump. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, jumper said:

That and his salary is cheap, like a quarter the cost of Bridgewater this year, only $4.7mm.  They could pick up his 5th year option and 2021 and 2022 combined would still be less than Bridgewater for just 2021.  If Darnold works out the front office looks like geniuses for getting the next Tannehill for cheap, if he doesn't then he buys them another year of patience from owner/fans to try again in 2022 draft, or pick another option off the scrap heap if they get waived during cutdowns in training camp.  They'll probably get back roughly equivalent draft picks from trading Bridgewater that they gave up to get Darnold, so it's basically a salary dump. 

Ok first off, there's absolutely ZERO chance Bridgewater compensation would be the same as Darnold. None.

Second off, one of the problems is this is one of the deepest QB classes we have ever seen near the top and instead of taking advantage of it they trade for a terrible QB. Obviously they think he can be salvaged but it's the same mistake people made with Rosen.

2 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Ok first off, there's absolutely ZERO chance Bridgewater compensation would be the same as Darnold. None.

Second off, one of the problems is this is one of the deepest QB classes we have ever seen near the top and instead of taking advantage of it they trade for a terrible QB. Obviously they think he can be salvaged but it's the same mistake people made with Rosen.

You don't think they can get a 2021 6th and 2022 2nd for Bridgewater?   WFT gave up a 3rd and CB Fuller for Alex Smith a couple years ago and that's a reasonable comp to Bridgewater now IMHO.  I guess we'll see what they get for him.

13 minutes ago, jumper said:

You don't think they can get a 2021 6th and 2022 2nd for Bridgewater?   WFT gave up a 3rd and CB Fuller for Alex Smith a couple years ago and that's a reasonable comp to Bridgewater now IMHO.  I guess we'll see what they get for him.

No. No they can’t. No one is giving a second rounder for him. 

Agree they won't get much for Bridgewater, esp bc the league now knows there's minimal leverage there.

We know the Panthers were trying to trade for Watson, move up in the draft, etc. Clearly they couldn't get either of those to pan out in a way they liked, so to me that tells you what they think about the QB options they are likely to have at their current spot. If Darnold flops, then they'll have a high pick next year and be able to go for a QB they may like more then, while improving the cast that QB would step into.

The benefit of the Darnold move is that they have a lot of flexibility and it doesn't set them back multiple years if he bombs, vs. trading 3 first rounders setting you back years if your QB pick whiffs (like the Bears with Trubisky) so overall I still think it was the best move available for them.

ESPN's Adam Schefter expects the 49ers to select Alabama QB Mac Jones at No. 3 overall. 

This is not a sourced report from Schefter — he was sharing his thoughts on a radio show, not tweeting out a scoop — but he believes the Niners will settle on Jones after doing their due diligence on the draft class. Considering the source, this is the biggest indication yet that the 49ers are zeroed in on Jones after trading up to No. 3 overall, something you only do for a quarterback. "Draft Twitter" — really, any Twitter — is having trouble wrapping its mind around this fact, but the 49ers have begun openly telegraphing the move. They have the luxury of doing so since both teams in front of them also seemed locked into quarterbacks, and they can no longer be jumped in the draft order. For now, Schefter believes the Niners will keep Jimmy Garoppolo around as a bridge quarterback, but he also believes the Niners could move him if the right deal comes along. 

RELATED: San Francisco 49ers

SOURCE: Anthony Amico on Twitter

Apr 6, 2021, 1:36 PM ET

I still don't get why SF traded to #3 for Mac Jones. They could have traded directly with Philly for a lower cost. Do we think another team would have jumped ahead of them for Jones?

19 minutes ago, colorado2013 said:

I still don't get why SF traded to #3 for Mac Jones. They could have traded directly with Philly for a lower cost. Do we think another team would have jumped ahead of them for Jones?

No way to know that. If story is true and SF is in love with him it only takes one other team to feel that way and make a move up

2 minutes ago, Joe Mama said:

No way to know that. If story is true and SF is in love with him it only takes one other team to feel that way and make a move up

I can't help but think it's a smokescreen. There is no need for them to be playing those games since the draft order is already set, but I can believe that more easily than I can that they felt the need to jump to 3 for Jones. 

7 minutes ago, colorado2013 said:

I can't help but think it's a smokescreen. There is no need for them to be playing those games since the draft order is already set, but I can believe that more easily than I can that they felt the need to jump to 3 for Jones. 

Definitely possible. There’s really no reason for them to tip their hand.

57 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I think Minshew is better than Darnold and could have (much likely) come cheaper. Only destinations possibly left are DEN or CHI?

This, except Mariota instead of Minshew. I just don't think there's much of a market for these "been there, done that" QBs. Trubisky went to be a backup. Mariota is still languishing in Vegas. Minshew is stuck. It just makes it all the more baffling that Carolina gave up so much for Darnold. I doubt anyone else was bidding nearly that high. 

4 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

This, except Mariota instead of Minshew. I just don't think there's much of a market for these "been there, done that" QBs. Trubisky went to be a backup. Mariota is still languishing in Vegas. Minshew is stuck. It just makes it all the more baffling that Carolina gave up so much for Darnold. I doubt anyone else was bidding nearly that high. 

I believe Mariota worked in a no trade clause into his revamped contract. 

3 hours ago, colorado2013 said:

I believe Mariota worked in a no trade clause into his revamped contract. 

The no trade clause is so that he can dictate where he goes. It's not that he wants to stay in Vegas as a backup. 

5 hours ago, colorado2013 said:

I'm very happy SF made the move to help my Dolphins out.  ;)

I just wish we had an example of another guy that everyone thought was awful, that was coached by the same guy and surrounded by similarly pedestrian talent, that left that situation and went to a new team and rekindled his career. If only there was one such example...

There really is no reason for the 49ers to have a smokescreen. Lawrence and Wilson are going 1/2, so no one could even move ahead of them. I may not agree personally, but I don't think it's insane to think they value Mac Jones that highly to trade up to 3 to get him. He had an incredible year and the draft is still a crapshoot at the QB position. I would bet at least 1 of the 5 end up busting, and it won't be Lawrence. Everyone outside of him has legitimate question marks, including Jones - not crazy to roll with the guy who's done it at a college championship level.

On 4/6/2021 at 6:22 AM, JoeJoe88 said:

I would bet money they win more than 6 games this year. In fact, I’ll put my money where my mouth is and say they make the playoffs. 

Making the playoffs is a tall task. The Bucs will be the prohibitive favorite in the NFCS, and the Saints are still a very good team, even without Brees. I don’t know that Darnold is so much better than Bridgewater that he makes the Panthers a playoff team. 

Just now, Flyman75 said:

Making the playoffs is a tall task. The Bucs will be the prohibitive favorite in the NFCS, and the Saints are still a very good team, even without Brees. I don’t know that Darnold is so much better than Bridgewater that he makes the Panthers a playoff team. 

For sure, I’m sure most people are going to agree with that assessment. I’ve been wrong before, and I’ll be wrong again. Just my conviction. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

For sure, I’m sure most people are going to agree with that assessment. I’ve been wrong before, and I’ll be wrong again. Just my conviction. 

The thing about the NFL is that no one can be sure of anything, lol. 

• 2 weeks later...

This has been denied by one or two other "sources" but Lammey is a beat writer for the Broncos and doesn't report BS as far as I know.

It sounds over the top, like there must have been another piece to it, but when you consider what SF traded to move up in the draft, something like this isn't out of character.

It's unbelievable that they would be turned away by the Jets however...

Edited by Iron-cock