NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, if you're the Bears, you'd give up many to move up ONE spot and NOT draft Patrick Mahomes. 

The question with guys like Wentz and Goff should not be "how much will you give for him" but rather "how much does the team getting rid have to throw in as compensation for their terrible contracts?"

59 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

lol Mac Jones isn't going in the 1st

You are very confident it seems. You sure? Btw, these were the first two mock drafts that came up... maybe because most recent. 

This mock draft has him going 15th to Pats... https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/30776564/nfl-mock-draft-2021-mel-kiper-predictions-all-32-first-round-picks-including-justin-fields-zach-wilson-devonta-smith

This one has him going to WFT at 19... https://sports.yahoo.com/2021-nfl-draft-mock-draft-000750815.html

So the Stafford/Goff deal probably sets up some good framework for a Jets Texans deal.  At the very least it sets a market for Watson who should command more than the haul the Lions just got.  Of course, the Jets sitting with #2 overall is a lot better than the Rams 1sts. 

Going to be interesting. 

Alright, there go two big dominoes.  Rams are certainly done on the carousel, and we can cross off Goff and Stafford in musical chairs.    Lions still could draft a QB too, but it's certainly unlikely they get a second new veteran in there.  Goff costs even more to cut so he's a Lion in 2021.   

If Watson's fate takes a while, will we see any more dominoes fall before mid March?   This is the first of maybe two dozen moves that'll shape QB's for next season.  Buckle up!

• Like 1

If I'm reading this right, it's great for DET on the draft picks front, but totally stupid on the salary cap front. They're paying a lot of money for a half-a** QB. I wonder what other teams offered.

It's great for Stafford and Ram fans though! 

54 minutes ago, bomont said:

If I'm reading this right, it's great for DET on the draft picks front, but totally stupid on the salary cap front. They're paying a lot of money for a half-a** QB. I wonder what other teams offered.

Not if you're going for a total rebuild.

I assume they used the salary cap hit as part of the negotiations, which is why they got so much equity in return.

If so, it seems logical that they will let Golladay go, draft a young QB this or next season (Trey Lance?), focus heavily on drafting D and Online, then bring the new QB slowly.

If it were any other team but the Lions I'd believe in it too.

• Like 3

First of all, apologies to the people on mobile (including myself), this is not going to be pretty there.

Team

on the block

draft target

draft position

backup

backup on the block (?)

Cap

Arizona Cardinals

Kyler Murray

Brett Hundley

Atlanta Falcons

?

?

Matt Ryan

Low

Baltimore Ravens

Lamar Jackson

Buffalo Bills

Josh Allen

Jake Fromm

Carolina Panthers

Teddy Bridgewater

Will Grier

Chicago Bears

Mitchell Trubisky

?

Nick Foles

Cincinnati Bengals

Joe Burrow

Ryan Finley

Medium

Cleveland Browns

Baker Mayfield

Case Keenum

Dallas Cowboys

Dak Prescott

Ben Dinucci

Andy Dalton

Denver Broncos

Drew Lock

Jeff Driscoll

Detroit Lions

Justin Fields

Jared Goff

Chase Daniel

Green Bay Packers

Aaron Rodgers

Jordan Love

Low

Houston Texans

Deshaun Watson

N/A

AJ McCarron

Indianapolis Colts

Jacob Eason

Jacoby Brissett

High

Jacksonville Jaguars

Trevor Lawrence

1, 25

Gardner Minshew

High

Kansas City Chiefs

Patrick Mahomes

Chad Henne

Las Vegas Raiders

Derek Carr

Marcus Marriota

LA Chargers

Justin Herbert

Easton Stick

Tyrod Taylor

LA Rams

N/A

Matt Stafford

Devein Hodges

Low

Miami Dolphins

Tua Tagovailoa

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Medium

Minnesota Vikings

Kirk Cousins

New England Patriots

?

Cam Newton

Jarred Stidham

High

New Orleans Saints

Taysom Hill (Brees?)

Jameis Winston

Very low

NY Jets

?

?

2, 23

Sam Darnold

James Morgan

High

NY Giants

Daniel Jones

Colt McCoy

Philadelphia Eagles

?

Carson Wentz

Jaylen Hurts

Very low

Pittsburgh Steelers

Ben Roethlisberger

Mason Rudolph

Low

San Francisco 49ers

Jimmy Garoppolo

Trey Lance

Nick Mullens

Seattle Seahawks

N/A

Russell Wilson

Geno Smith

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Tom Brady

Medium

Tennessee Titans

Ryan Tannehill

Washington Football Team

Zack Wilson

Alex Smith

Taylor Heinicke

Medium

I will try to keep this updated in the coming weeks when we have major updates.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

You are very confident it seems. You sure? Btw, these were the first two mock drafts that came up... maybe because most recent. 

This mock draft has him going 15th to Pats... https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/30776564/nfl-mock-draft-2021-mel-kiper-predictions-all-32-first-round-picks-including-justin-fields-zach-wilson-devonta-smith

This one has him going to WFT at 19... https://sports.yahoo.com/2021-nfl-draft-mock-draft-000750815.html

And I can find a million mocks with Drew Lock in the first too. Anything is possible but it would be a bad pick

18 hours ago, BrianM said:

Alright, there go two big dominoes.  Rams are certainly done on the carousel, and we can cross off Goff and Stafford in musical chairs.    Lions still could draft a QB too, but it's certainly unlikely they get a second new veteran in there.  Goff costs even more to cut so he's a Lion in 2021.   

If Watson's fate takes a while, will we see any more dominoes fall before mid March?   This is the first of maybe two dozen moves that'll shape QB's for next season.  Buckle up!

If the Stafford/Goff trade is any indication of what's to come, buckle up indeed!

15 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Not if you're going for a total rebuild.

I assume they used the salary cap hit as part of the negotiations, which is why they got so much equity in return.

If so, it seems logical that they will let Golladay go, draft a young QB this or next season (Trey Lance?), focus heavily on drafting D and Online, then bring the new QB slowly.

If it were any other team but the Lions I'd believe in it too.

Again I'm probably not  up on how this shakes out, but it sounded like they are paying a ton of money for Goff, who IMO is clearly not the answer, and at best will just ensure they don't draft as high in the next year or two while sucking away money that could've been spent elsewhere. I guess they figure it's worth it for two #1s, but I bet they could've got that from another team and not ate an expensive contract. Pats and Colts for example. Taking on Goff just makes no sense.

1 minute ago, bomont said:

I guess they figure it's worth it for two #1s, but I bet they could've got that from another team and not ate an expensive contract. Pats and Colts for example.

Most teams don't hand out firsts like they're cookies ;)

In my mind Stratford was worth a 1st and a 3rd and Goff's contract was worth another 1st. If the Colts would have offered similar value without Goff, of course they would have taken it. The Pats were never going to offer 2 firsts for an expensive QB - I mean I haven't talked to the man from Nantucket yet, but that's my guess.

8 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

In my mind Stratford was worth a 1st and a 3rd and Goff's contract was worth another 1st. If the Colts would have offered similar value without Goff, of course they would have taken it. The Pats were never going to offer 2 firsts for an expensive QB - I mean I haven't talked to the man from Nantucket yet, but that's my guess.

Wasn’t gonna happen... frugal and conservative and a process guy given military oriented background. 

Also, imagine if Goff decides to restructure his contract to make it a bit more team friendly? That could really be a huge win win for Detroit. Goff is only 26. 

16 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Stafford is worth two #1s IMO. He's not elite but he's not far off. He's done mostly well on a pathetic team with little to no support on offense, defense, OR coaching. Esp a team like the Colts built to win now, I'm surprised they didn't. 

12 minutes ago, bomont said:

Stafford is worth two #1s IMO. He's not elite but he's not far off. He's done mostly well on a pathetic team with little to no support on offense, defense, OR coaching. Esp a team like the Colts built to win now, I'm surprised they didn't. 

Imagine if they did but Stafford being a Cali boy, wifey wanting warm weather, and he likes Rams. Maybe Indy was a bit handcuffed and couldn’t afford it? 

56 minutes ago, bomont said:

Again I'm probably not  up on how this shakes out, but it sounded like they are paying a ton of money for Goff, who IMO is clearly not the answer, and at best will just ensure they don't draft as high in the next year or two while sucking away money that could've been spent elsewhere. I guess they figure it's worth it for two #1s, but I bet they could've got that from another team and not ate an expensive contract. Pats and Colts for example. Taking on Goff just makes no sense.

He explicitly told them the only team he didn’t want to go to was the Pats.

• Like 1

I am very curious how the Saints handle the QB spot, as I am 99% sure that Brees is done, and they need to move on.

Saints operate much like Rams, where they are very unafraid to make bold moves and draft capital is just not valued as much to them as it is to other teams.

They are also cap wizards, but eventually all the kicking the can down the line sort of catches up--esp when the cap unexpectedly drops.

Coach SP can mask a ton of weak areas within a QB's play--and has consistently with Brees in steep decline-- and then having the team go 9-1 with Teddy and Taysom last 2 years.

None of the top 4 QBs will be available when they pick in 1st--Mac Jones might be, but I tend to doubt it. I also can not seem them having the draft capital/players to realistically swing a Watson trade. I highly doubt anyone is handing Winston a big $ deal, so it comes down to him (v Taysom) and whatever current external options are on the table. They could def make a move to trade up and grab Wilson or Lance, if Payton decides they are worth the costs. He did have a Mahomes within his sights a few years ago, only to have KC get that intel and deal directly in front of them to get him.

I think the Saints are a big wild-card when factoring in the unreal QB movement coming this off-season.

Edited by ST. STEVEN
36 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I am very curious how the Saints handle the QB spot, as I am 99% sure that Brees is done, and they need to move on.

Saints operate much like Rams, where they are very unafraid to make bold moves and draft capital is just not valued as much to them as it is to other teams.

They are also cap wizards, but eventually all the kicking the can down the line sort of catches up--esp when the cap unexpectedly drops.

Coach SP can mask a ton of weak areas within a QB's play--and has consistently with Brees in steep decline-- and then having the team go 9-1 with Teddy and Taysom last 2 years.

None of the top 4 QBs will be available when they pick in 1st--Mac Jones might be, but I tend to doubt it. I also can not seem them having the draft capital/players to realistically swing a Watson trade. I highly doubt anyone is handing Winston a big $ deal, so it comes down to him (v Taysom) and whatever current external options are on the table. They could def make a move to trade up and grab Wilson or Lance, if Payton decides they are worth the costs. He did have a Mahomes within his sights a few years ago, only to have KC get that intel and deal directly in front of them to get him.

I think the Saints are a big wild-card when factoring in the unreal QB movement coming this off-season.

If I were them I would be genuinely happy about what Hill brings to the table honestly.

He looks the part when he plays to me.  He's not Brees, but who is?  That team is good enough to win quite a few games with a guy who can move the chains with his arm and his legs managing leads.  Like the 49ers era Alex Smith.  You could do worse.

• Haha 1
28 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Don't really think they're a wild card. I think Taysom is the starter, end of story.

The Colts are the most interesting team, IMO. They are a legit contender and currently have no QB. They didn't get Goff or Stafford and haven't been seriously linked to Watson. No idea who is going to end up in that spot now. 

9 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

The Colts are the most interesting team, IMO. They are a legit contender and currently have no QB. They didn't get Goff or Stafford and haven't been seriously linked to Watson. No idea who is going to end up in that spot now. 

Good call.   I think Reich can make it work with even a half decent QB, but they can legimately win it all.   Dare I say..................

Dolphins: Ryan Fitzpatrick's quarantine beard and haircut is wild

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

So he really doesn't want to win eh? Well, that figures ;)

Probably wants a break from Patricia.

...until they bring in someone(s) to throw to, if he didn't want to win NE in 2021 would be as appropriate a choice as any.

3 hours ago, bomont said:

They are going in full rebuild, so Goff's cap will not interfere with any of their moves...as they probably aren't planning any coming, at least of the big money type. And Goff is not mediocre to prevent that team from tanking, especially if they don't franchise tag Galladay.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, colorado2013 said:

Probably wants a break from Patricia.

...until they bring in someone(s) to throw to, if he didn't want to win NE in 2021 would be as appropriate a choice as any.

giphy.gif 

I had utterly missed that Patricia went back to the Pats. Yeah OK, I wouldn't want that either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1