Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I’m not one to pin a whole lot of importance on W-L record when evaluating a QB’s talent (e.g., Goff/Stafford debate).  He’s one of only six QBs to rank in the top-10 in PFF grade for the past two years and has an 88.9 (7th overall) since 2018 - contrast that with Jim’s 75.6 (22nd overall) during that span.  Also Kirk was the second-highest-graded QB this past season in the all-important 4Q, behind only Brady and ahead of Mahomes.

I don't really pay much attention to PFF grades. Whenever PFF grades are mentioned, the sentence is usually "XYZ is mediocre" "yeah but he/they has/have a high PFF grade". 

I also think that the W/L debate is extremely silly, but Syndicatez added "with Diggs/Thielen/Cook", which makes it a bit more valid, except for one thing: they went 10-6, which is a winning season last time I checked.

On this silly debate: are QBs responsible for the W? No of course not, it's team A O+D(+coaching) vs team B O+D(+coaching). Not the offense; not the passing game; not the QB. But I guess it's boring to say: "the Vikings Offense had a fairly run-heavy approach; with that, Cousins and some good receivers, they got in the top-10 of Offensive yards. With a middle of the pack D, they got to a winning season and won a play-off game, which is a good result."

TL;DR: oversimplifications are silly. (*)

(*) Except when they're not. Your results may vary. Terms and conditions apply. May not be available in your area. Hindsight is 20/20 and objects may appear larger in the mirror.

 

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, if you're the Bears, you'd give up many to move up ONE spot and NOT draft Patrick Mahomes. 

The question with guys like Wentz and Goff should not be "how much will you give for him" but rather "how much does the team getting rid have to throw in as compensation for their terrible contracts?"

On 1/31/2021 at 9:31 PM, BrianM said:

Good call.   I think Reich can make it work with even a half decent QB, but they can legimately win it all.   Dare I say..................

Dolphins: Ryan Fitzpatrick's quarantine beard and haircut is wild

Yknow that's funny but honestly he could be had cheap and could be good enough to get them to the playoffs, and if - IF - the "good" Fitz shows up in the playoffs vs the "bad" Fitz - stranger things have happened.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

If the Texans really wanted to PUNISH Watson for wanting out of HOU they could simply trade him to the team that has the worst wide recievers and tight ends in the league.

I think the Jets are in fact in the running. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

you should watch the difference today on national georgraphicics. Because I sure you would have been here. And all of thos would have been

Please don't drink and post.

 

On 1/31/2021 at 7:42 PM, PizzaBeerFF said:

Imagine if they did but Stafford being a Cali boy, wifey wanting warm weather, and he likes Rams. Maybe Indy was a bit handcuffed and couldn’t afford it? 

? The Colts are about as un-handcuffed as it gets. No clear starter at QB, plenty of cap room. 

 

 

Edited by bomont
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bomont said:

 

 

? The Colts are about as un-handcuffed as it gets. No clear starter at QB, plenty of cap room. 

 

 

 

If the previous posts are true about his wife wanting a California destination, maybe he (or his wife) wants to live somewhere other than the most boring city to ever host an NFL franchise (although Charlotte is up there too). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's an old saying: "If you are bored.....you are boring." Sorry not getting the Indy = boring thing. Maybe if you're a teenager or early 20s and all you care about is a beach or Hollywood etc.  if that's all they really cared about or about moving to warmer weather, whatever. But life is what you make it. Maybe that's his/his wife's mentality, no clue...my guess would be the Colts weren't interested for whatever reason but that's all it is :) 

Edited by bomont
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bomont said:

There's an old saying: "If you are bored.....you are boring." Sorry not getting the Indy = boring thing. Maybe if you're a teenager or early 20s and all you care about is a beach or Hollywood etc. Life is what you make it. Maybe that's his/his wife's mentality, no clue...if that's all they really cared about or about moving to warmer weather, whatever. My guess would be the Colts weren't interested for whatever reason but that's all it is :) 

Ballard reportedly tried but didn’t offer as much as the Lions (obviously).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You mean the Rams. :) Makes sense. I don't get the idea that Ballard is a sell the farm guy but mistake on his part IMO, Stafford is worth two first-round picks

Edited by bomont
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BMcP said:

I’m not one to pin a whole lot of importance on W-L record when evaluating a QB’s talent (e.g., Goff/Stafford debate).  He’s one of only six QBs to rank in the top-10 in PFF grade for the past two years and has an 88.9 (7th overall) since 2018 - contrast that with Jim’s 75.6 (22nd overall) during that span.  Also Kirk was the second-highest-graded QB this past season in the all-important 4Q, behind only Brady and ahead of Mahomes.

That all important 4Q isn't very important when your team is 7-9 and you're playing behind most of the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Joe Mama said:

That all important 4Q isn't very important when your team is 7-9 and you're playing behind most of the time.

Give Captain Clutch a defense ranking somewhere above “laughable” and good things will happen.

 https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fanduel.com/theduel/posts/crazy-stat-shows-kirk-cousins-is-most-clutch-qb-in-the-nfl-01ermmamk904/amp

Link to post
Share on other sites

Zimmer's D apparently relied on preparation and practice time together to build cohesion because the Vikings were awful on defense in 2020, with crowd noise to disrupt opposing signal callers and no offseason program, limited training camp, and no preseason.  Next year if things return to normal I suspect they will be much better.

Cousins major crime seems to be that he has not won a Superbowl.  But you can say that about many QBs.  With Thielen, JJ, Irv Smith, and a healthy Dalvin Cook, Cousins should be just fine in 2021.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bomont said:

You mean the Rams. :) Makes sense. I don't get the idea that Ballard is a sell the farm guy but mistake on his part IMO, Stafford is worth two first-round picks

The fact that Indy supposedly came to the party without pick 21 on the table is a real head scratcher. If true...Ballard is either severely overrated as a GM, or he has something up his sleeve.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fluffy69 said:

The fact that Indy supposedly came to the party without pick 21 on the table is a real head scratcher. If true...Ballard is either severely overrated as a GM, or he has something up his sleeve.

Is possible that they just like Eason, and they resign Brissett as competition. Maybe they don't get a big name. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Is possible that they just like Eason, and they resign Brissett as competition. Maybe they don't get a big name. 

Anything is possible, but I doubt it. Maybe plan D? They certainly have better options, there's just no reps to gauge JE on. It's easy to see Ballard attaching a 4th rounder to Jacob's upside. It's not as easy to see him attaching his job to it. Irsay may accept it as long as you've exhausted your other options first. For the record, I like Eason and I would love for him to be another Justin Herbert. He's probably 3rd on the depth chart when the season starts though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, fluffy69 said:

Anything is possible, but I doubt it. Maybe plan D? They certainly have better options, there's just no reps to gauge JE on. It's easy to see Ballard attaching a 4th rounder to Jacob's upside. It's not as easy to see him attaching his job to it. Irsay may accept it as long as you've exhausted your other options first. For the record, I like Eason and I would love for him to be another Justin Herbert. He's probably 3rd on the depth chart when the season starts though.

Assuming they aren't getting Watson, how many better options are there? Are the Packers really going to trade Rodgers? Will the Falcons really deal Matt Ryan? Will the Eagles really move Wentz? What else is still genuinely out there? Winston? Feels like he's going back to New Orleans. Fitz? Trubisky? Darnold? Tyrod Taylor? Are any of those really big upgrades?

Who am I forgetting?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Justin Fields

Expensive, but a very reasonable gamble, and one more in keeping with Irsay’s wish for a QB who can become a franchise cornerstone for the next 15 years.

I have to say, I found Ballard’s take on the QB question refreshingly honest and hilarious:

“The one position that you cannot (force), just all of you go back and look at first round quarterbacks drafted over the last 10 years,” Colts general manager Chris Ballard said in his end-of-season press conference. “It is not an exact (science), everyone just thinks you take one and you’re going to fix the problem.”

“Look, taking one will get you all off my a** for a little bit, but the second that guy doesn’t play well, I’m going to be the first one run out of the building.”

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ajs723 said:

How? Does Indy really have the ammo to move up to the top of the draft? 

I would think just about any team (other than the Rams) has the ammo - the only question is their willingness to pull the trigger.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BMcP said:

I would think just about any team (other than the Rams) has the ammo - the only question is their willingness to pull the trigger.

I mean, they'd have to probably offer up their 21st overall, multiple additional picks in this years draft, and at least another future first to get a team at the top to consider, right? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

I mean, they'd have to probably offer up their 21st overall, multiple additional picks in this years draft, and at least another future first to get a team at the top to consider, right? 

At least two firsts (including this year’s) and a second/third, so that’s about right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BMcP said:

At least two firsts (including this year’s) and a second/third, so that’s about right.

Seems unlikely they'd give up all that (and probably more, tbh), to move up in the draft when they wouldn't even put 21 on the table for Stafford. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Seems unlikely they'd give up all that (and probably more, tbh), to move up in the draft when they wouldn't even put 21 on the table for Stafford. 

Eh, it’s unclear whether the Colts would’ve been willing to offer their 21 - reports vary and, regardless, the Panthers got rebuffed with their 8 offer.  But Ballard might be more willing to pay up for a rookie with Watson-esque traits and upside - time will tell, I suppose.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...