NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Shane Bieber 2021 Outlook

48 minutes ago, TonyTheTigersFan said:

Any news at all on Bieber?  I thought he was supposed to be reevaluated after two weeks.  He's been so disappointing this year, hoping for a big second half to make up for it!

I do believe the report was “two weeks of shutdown” which would end this weekend. Probably get evaluated today and then something by Wednesday. I did see on the athletic his answers during some questions that he’s continued to work out and stay in shape. That’s all I’ve heard

June 28, 2021 05:48 PM
Indians' Shane Bieber: Quick exam goes well

Bieber (shoulder) had a quick examination that went well Monday, Tom Withers of the Associated Press reports.

Bieber has been out for two weeks after suffering a shoulder strain. His first evaluation went well, but he'll be evaluated again in a few days before the team provides a clear timeline for his return.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2021 at 7:44 AM, Wytchclt55 said:
June 28, 2021 05:48 PM
Indians' Shane Bieber: Quick exam goes well

Bieber (shoulder) had a quick examination that went well Monday, Tom Withers of the Associated Press reports.

Bieber has been out for two weeks after suffering a shoulder strain. His first evaluation went well, but he'll be evaluated again in a few days before the team provides a clear timeline for his return.

Any news at all yet?  Is he even throwing?  Bieber was money last year, but he's so frustrating to own this year.

2 hours ago, TonyTheTigersFan said:

Any news at all yet?  Is he even throwing?  Bieber was money last year, but he's so frustrating to own this year.

This is from Cleveland's president yesterday.

“Biebs will get rechecked this weekend to determine if he’s ready to begin throwing. We don’t have a definitive timetable (on when Civale and/or Bieber will pitch for the Indians again). We’ll have a better idea once they ramp up their intensity and their throwing, but it’s safe to say we’re still weeks away.”

....not good. Sounds like an early August return to me if all goes well.

52 minutes ago, disgruntledf said:

“Biebs will get rechecked this weekend to determine if he’s ready to begin throwing. We don’t have a definitive timetable (on when Civale and/or Bieber will pitch for the Indians again). We’ll have a better idea once they ramp up their intensity and their throwing, but it’s safe to say we’re still weeks away.”

Almost zero chance for an early August return if he’s not playing catch yet.

32 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Almost zero chance for an early August return if he’s not playing catch yet.

That's not true at all. Plesac began throwing a little over two weeks ago and just made is first start yesterday (capped at 60ish pitches). We could see a similar return for Bieber if he is cleared to throw this weekend. 

4 weeks until August 7th. If there aren't any further delays I don't see any reason he won't be back in full stride by then.

11 minutes ago, disgruntledf said:

That's not true at all. Plesac began throwing a little over two weeks ago and just made is first start yesterday (capped at 60ish pitches). We could see a similar return for Bieber if he is cleared to throw this weekend. 

4 weeks until August 7th. If there aren't any further delays I don't see any reason he won't be back in full stride by then.

Plesac had a non displaced fracture in his thumb. Bieber has a rotator cuff strain and still isn’t playing catch. Two completely different scenarios.

1 minute ago, meh2 said:

Plesac had a non displaced fracture in his thumb. Bieber has a rotator cuff strain and still isn’t playing catch. Two completely different scenarios.

Ok, so if he were to start throwing this weekend, how long do you think it will take before his first appearance back?

16 minutes ago, meh2 said:

If he is given a clean bill of health then it is somewhat irrelevant what injury he had. It will be about ramping him up and getting him ready to perform. I understand there might be different routines for recovery but it's not like he tore anything and has been out for 3+ months.

You could draw a comparison to Logan Webb. Out since the end of May with a shoulder strain. Began throwing a little over two weeks ago and will be making his (capped) return tonight. I don't see how Bieber's return would be any different if he is cleared to throw and doesn't have any further problems. Could be 2-3 starts deep by August 7th. Definitely more than "zero chance".

19 minutes ago, disgruntledf said:

Ok, so if he were to start throwing this weekend, how long do you think it will take before his first appearance back?

6 weeks barring any setbacks so approximately August 21st. He’ll need to start playing catch, then increase the distance for catch, then progress to throwing bullpens, then face live hitters, then go on a rehab assignment. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, meh2 said:

6 weeks barring any setbacks so approximately August 21st. He’ll need to start playing catch, then increase the distance for catch, then progress to throwing bullpens, then face live hitters, then go on a rehab assignment. 

Is there any players you can reference that have had a similar strain and taken 6 weeks from starting to throw until first game appearance? 

Im not asking out of doubt. I just want to see what their performance was like upon return.

Edited by disgruntledf

6 minutes ago, disgruntledf said:

Is there any players you can reference that have had a similar strain and taken 6 weeks from starting to throw until first game appearance? 

Im not asking out of doubt. I just want to see what their performance was like upon return.

I think 4 to 6 weeks is a good estimate as well. 4 weeks is probably very optimistic. 

15 minutes ago, fantasymad said:

I think 4 to 6 weeks is a good estimate as well. 4 weeks is probably very optimistic. 

Are you able to provide any examples for other pitcher returns from strains that have taken 6 weeks from starting to throw? Literally all pitchers that I've looked at with some form of arm strain have taken 14-20 days from starting to throw until first game appearance. 

I keep seeing everyone definitively saying rotator cuff. I haven’t seen that and wanted to know if anyone can post a link or reference where they heard that? All I’ve heard is shoulder strain and it’s something he’s been dealing with for awhile and they decided to rest it finally. 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Wytchclt55 said:

I keep seeing everyone definitively saying rotator cuff. I haven’t seen that and wanted to know if anyone can post a link or reference where they heard that? All I’ve heard is shoulder strain and it’s something he’s been dealing with for awhile and they decided to rest it finally. 

Here is the first link in a Google search

Article

"He had an MRI after the game and it revealed a strained subscapularis, the largest of the three muscles in the rotator cuff in his right shoulder. 

Also

Edited by itaos
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2021 at 10:22 AM, disgruntledf said:

Darn, if he's not even playing catch yet, you have to figure he's at least a month away, probably more.  I never thought Bieber would be such a huge bust this year.  Even before this, he was really underachieving in terms of ERA and WHIP too.

I know teams have been on a break, but still feels off that we did not hear a peep about his recheck from last weekend?

Here is the opinion (not being privy to any updated info) from the lead injury analyst at The Athletic:

"An MRI showed “inflammation of the subscapularis muscle in the rotator cuff” of Bieber’s right shoulder. This is the largest and strongest muscle of the rotator cuff, responsible for keeping the shoulder joint in place. They still haven’t provided a clear timetable for Bieber, but he will likely miss at least another month. He was supposed to be re-evaluated last weekend to determine if he was ready to begin a throwing program. Once he does he will need weeks to build up his arm strength because he has been shut down for a month already. Then he would go on a rehab assignment. I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see him again until September."

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I know teams have been on a break, but still feels off that we did not hear a peep about his recheck from last weekend?

Here is the opinion (not being privy to any updated info) from the lead injury analyst at The Athletic:

"An MRI showed “inflammation of the subscapularis muscle in the rotator cuff” of Bieber’s right shoulder. This is the largest and strongest muscle of the rotator cuff, responsible for keeping the shoulder joint in place. They still haven’t provided a clear timetable for Bieber, but he will likely miss at least another month. He was supposed to be re-evaluated last weekend to determine if he was ready to begin a throwing program. Once he does he will need weeks to build up his arm strength because he has been shut down for a month already. Then he would go on a rehab assignment. I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see him again until September."

It doesn't seem like this made much news, but when doing a Google search just now, I found one article quoting Francona that Bieber experienced crankiness in his shoulder while throwing weighted balls last Friday.

https://www.tsn.ca/hernandez-mercado-lead-indians-past-royals-14-6-1.1666445

Given this setback, I'm starting to think there's a good chance we don't see Bieber again this year.  I never dreamed Bieber would be this huge of a bust this year.  Even the two and a half months he pitched were highly disappointing for a pitcher of his caliber.  Just incredibly frustrating.

• Thanks 1

New update:

Bieber (shoulder) has done work with heavy balls but has yet to resume normal throwing, Justice delos Santos of MLB.com reports.

Bieber has been on the injured list since mid-June with a right shoulder strain. It sounds like he could resume playing catch with a baseball in the near future, but until then, it will be hard to outline a concrete return timeline. Bieber seems unlikely to be activated until the final few days of July at the earliest.

Yeah.. I'm in the heat of a race for a bye week. Just dealt him in a keeper league for Bellinger. No idea if he's coming back and no idea how he translates to the league without the sticky icky . Walks were up before the injury. Idk.. Don't wanna be looking for reports on his injury status the ROS. Good luck to the rest of ya who own him. Hopefully he get back to biz sooner than later. 

Edited by OrangeCrush