NBC Sports Edge Forums

J.T. Realmuto 2021 Outlook

As a Phillies Fan, can I say Thank Goodness! 

https://www.rotoworld.com/baseball/mlb/player-news/headlines/9931231

The Phillies got their man. And for a little lower than originally expected. Per Jayson Stark of The Athletic, Realmuto has a $20 million salary in 2021 (with $10 million deferred) and a $23.875 million salary in each of the next four seasons. There were reports earlier this offseason that Realmuto was targeting a deal in excess of $200 million, but that was probably never realistic, especially after the Mets signed James McCann. Still, Realmuto will now have the highest AAV ever for a catcher ($23.1 million), topping Joe Mauer at $23 million. Previous reports suggested that the Phillies were around $110 million, but they upped their offer to get the deal done. Realmuto's new contract will carry him through his age-34 season. The significance of this deal can't be overstated for Philadelphia, but they still need to figure out their shortstop situation and perhaps add some more pitching depth. One thing's for sure is that the NL East is going to be very interesting.

O0

• Like 1

Great signing for the Phillies and Realmuto. Great signing for baseball in general. NL East will be the best division.

As far as fantasy goes? Realmuto won't be on any of my teams next year. Way too overdrafted. 

• Like 1

The Mauer deal turned out to be pretty good for the Twins. 

Right? 

I digress. Mauer had two excellent years after the big contract then was pretty blah after that. 

Regardless it seemed like this was inevitable. TBD if this helps the Phillies in the division much this year. They had JT last year and were still mediocre. But they seem to have the talent on paper to compete in a brutal division. 

Good move for the Phils, because losing JTR would have been an ominous sign for 2021.

1 hour ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Good move for the Phils, because losing JTR would have been an ominous sign for 2021.

That is maybe the strongest part of this signing. 

This a great signing for Philly for the next 2-3 years, we'll see how he ages into years 4 and 5. I agree they have some more work to do now that Realmuto is signed and delivered. Bring back Gregarious and some pitching. Tanaka? I know we continue to hear the Japan rumors with him, but I think he wants to pitch in America and if a team offers him something comparable to what Japan is offering, he stays here. 

Edited by colorado2013
On 1/26/2021 at 4:49 PM, colorado2013 said:

That is maybe the strongest part of this signing. 

This a great signing for Philly for the next 2-3 years, we'll see how he ages into years 4 and 5. I agree they have some more work to do now that Realmuto is signed and delivered. Bring back Gregarious and some pitching. Tanaka? I know we continue to hear the Japan rumors with him, but I think he wants to pitch in America and if a team offers him something comparable to what Japan is offering, he stays here. 

Tanaka is going to Japan.

Phillies will have the same problems as last year,  score a lot of runs, give up even more.

JT is a fantastic player, but like others have said, will be way over drafted. 

He is kind of over drafted only because he is a catcher and they are hurt so much.  No DH this season either.

Do his counting statistics usually justify his draft position?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2021 at 12:49 PM, 2ndCitySox said:

The Mauer deal turned out to be pretty good for the Twins. 

Right? 

I digress. Mauer had two excellent years after the big contract then was pretty blah after that. 

Regardless it seemed like this was inevitable. TBD if this helps the Phillies in the division much this year. They had JT last year and were still mediocre. But they seem to have the talent on paper to compete in a brutal division. 

Mauer's contract was from 2011-2018, right?  He was worth 22.1 bWAR for that span.  At ~$8M per win above replacement, that's just shy of $177M in value.  He was paid $184M.  That aint too bad.

4 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Mauer's contract was from 2011-2018, right?  He was worth 22.1 bWAR for that span.  At ~$8M per win above replacement, that's just shy of $177M in value.  He was paid $184M.  That aint too bad.

Is 8M per win adjusted for 2011-2018 dollars? 

WAR per season starting in 2011: 2.1, 4.6, 5.2, 1.7, 0.3, 2.3, 1.1

Was he a catcher that whole time? I dont remember when he became primarily a 1B 

On 1/28/2021 at 8:33 AM, B&F said:

He is kind of over drafted only because he is a catcher and they are hurt so much.  No DH this season either.

I feel like he gets drafted as early as he does because there is a decent drop off from him to the next best catcher. (There was a time when Gary Sanchez could be included with him.) But he's the safest pick at the position.

On 1/28/2021 at 10:33 AM, B&F said:

He is far and away the best at the position and has proven to be a consistent middle of the order performer. The thumb break bothers me a bit but when talking about position scarcity this guy is the cream of the crop.