NBC Sports Edge Forums

Trade for Wander Franco in a keep-forever?

Hey guys, 12 team mixed, H2H, 7x7 (extra categories are OBP, SLG, L, Hlds on top of the traditional 5x5 categories). It's a keep-forever league and keep 6 total.

Bellinger, Eloy, G Cole, Y Alvarez and Albies are my solid 5 and I can choose between G Torres, Voit or Fried as my 6th keeper.

I was offered Wander Franco for both G Torres and Voit. Should I take it?

I'm trying to be competitive this year but if Franco is a generational talent, losing Torres (and throwing in Voit) seems like nothing. However, to have Franco as my 6th keeper and him only 100PA this year will blow. What do you think? 

I would do that deal.Two guys you're not sure are keeper worthy tells me all I need to know.Worse case is you have one of the most coveted trade chips to shop if your draft puts you in contention.

• Thanks 1

I’ll take the other side of this argument.  I’m a proud owner of Franco in a couple of leagues but stocking this guy up with two dynamic Yankee talents for a player who has done nothing in the majors yet seems excessive.  Let me list a few names and tell me what they have in common:  Royce Lewis, Yoan Moncada, Byron Buxton.   These are all past sure fire number one rated minor league talents.   Moncada has had one good year and the others are still struggling to make an impact.  I know Torres didn’t look good last year. But his past two were huge.  Voit hit 22 HR in 56 games!   His career OPS is circa 900 and generates a 40+ HR rate for his career with solid BA.

just too much to give another guy for a player who “might be”.  And remember I’m a Franco fan.

Edited by Smacdaddy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Throw back you're #3 keeper that you listed above, and put Torres in that spot. Next hold onto Franco and counter offer, move a mt for Voit in new deal. 

56 minutes ago, Smacdaddy said:

I’ll take the other side of this argument.  I’m a proud owner of Franco in a couple of leagues but stocking this guy up with two dynamic Yankee talents for a player who has done nothing in the majors yet seems excessive.  Let me list a few names and tell me what they have in common:  Royce Lewis, Yoan Moncada, Byron Buxton.   These are all past sure fire number one rated minor league talents.   Moncada has had one good year and the others are still struggling to make an impact.  I know Torres didn’t look good last year. But his past two were huge.  Voit hit 22 HR in 56 games!   His career OPS is circa 900 and generates a 40+ HR rate for his career with solid BA.

just too much to give another guy for a player who “might be”.  And remember I’m a Franco fan.

Moncada nor Buxton never had the grades Franco has...Along with that, Royce Lewis is still developing. Comparing any of them to Franco's situation makes no sense.

And Luke Voit is a "dynamic talent"? Interesting.

1 hour ago, Smacdaddy said:

The situation is a bit different here, the op can only keep one of the two , so essentially they're trading Torres and whatever return they could get for Voit in a separate deal (if there's one to be made), for Wander. 

In a 6 player keeper finding a taker for Voit where you'd get a significant return may not be possible. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Smacdaddy said:

Voit doesn't have a spot on my team, I'm going to have to throw him back into the draft anyway. In Voit's defense though, he absolutely carried me this year. I absolutely think he will continue to produce big time while on the field. However, I do not believe he can stay healthy for a full season.

I'm just worried about Wander, I'm hearing things like "JoRam is his ceiling" type stuff. It may take him several years to reach JoRam's level, if he ever does. If Wander becomes JoRam that would be great but is that really a generational talent? Is that worth me possibly missing an entire season (2021) worth of stats from one of my keepers?

As far as Torres goes, 2019 seems like the outlier (crazy stats vs. BAL), but he's also 24 and could definitely continue developing in a sick lineup/park.

Even if Wander's career ends up matching JRam's (though I would expect Wander to have a better batting average), that's still better than I would expect from Torres. 

As a Torres owner in one league, I'd happily have foregone his 2020 season.... 

If you can trade draft picks try to get the other guy to switch draft pick with you (say his 2nd for your 3rd)

• Like 1

Would you guys swap out Torres for Albies? He's also asking Albies+Voit for Wander Franco. Do you guys agree Albies is a better trade chip than Torres?

7 hours ago, Ecofolux said:

Voit doesn't have a spot on my team, I'm going to have to throw him back into the draft anyway. In Voit's defense though, he absolutely carried me this year. I absolutely think he will continue to produce big time while on the field. However, I do not believe he can stay healthy for a full season.

I'm just worried about Wander, I'm hearing things like "JoRam is his ceiling" type stuff. It may take him several years to reach JoRam's level, if he ever does. If Wander becomes JoRam that would be great but is that really a generational talent? Is that worth me possibly missing an entire season (2021) worth of stats from one of my keepers?

As far as Torres goes, 2019 seems like the outlier (crazy stats vs. BAL), but he's also 24 and could definitely continue developing in a sick lineup/park.

This is nuts. Jose Ramirez is very possibly going to the Hall of Fame on the strength of his bat. Wander Franco will never come close to his 2018 season (probably not 2017 either) and yes overall 2019 was down but his 44-game second half was near miraculous and then he should have been MVP in 2020. Anyone saying "but what if hes only JoRam" should have their head examined

20 minutes ago, Shamrocks said:

This is nuts. Jose Ramirez is very possibly going to the Hall of Fame on the strength of his bat. Wander Franco will never come close to his 2018 season (probably not 2017 either) and yes overall 2019 was down but his 44-game second half was near miraculous and then he should have been MVP in 2020. Anyone saying "but what if hes only JoRam" should have their head examined

JoRam needs a minimum of 30 WAR the rest of his career, most likely 40 to make it into the HOF. Too bad he blossomed so late, I don't think he can make it. 

4 win season at 23 is late? Ill admit he probably needs a couple of 6-7 WAR seasons to do it but hes 44th on active position WAR list and younger than everybody above him except Mookie. Im just saying the phrasing shouldnt be about how disappointed we would be if he was JoRam but rather how thats more likely a 110% expectation for Franco

To answer the OP, Im not as down on Torres as most and I do think its punting the next year (or two) to trade for Franco at this point, but if you can nail the draft and have the top prospect in the game, might be worth it

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Smacdaddy said:

This. I remember when a guy on here was going to trade Acuna for Vlad (before he debuted). It’s the same here. Torres is a good player, we have no idea how Franco is going to do.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Ecofolux said:

Would you guys swap out Torres for Albies? He's also asking Albies+Voit for Wander Franco. Do you guys agree Albies is a better trade chip than Torres?

No on Albies 

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, fishingguy12345 said:

The situation is a bit different here, the op can only keep one of the two , so essentially they're trading Torres and whatever return they could get for Voit in a separate deal (if there's one to be made), for Wander. 

In a 6 player keeper finding a taker for Voit where you'd get a significant return may not be possible. 

I’m not buying this.  Moncada was one of the most hyped prospects ever.  Buxton was number one for at least two years.  I agree on Lewis, but he really took a step back last year and is working his way back to significance.  And I understand he is not keeping Voit AND Torres...but he is not keeping them both due to his other talent.  Why give him to another team and bolster their team? If he throws Voit back in the draft, another team has to spend a valuable pick for him or he can redraft him if he’s still there.  

I love Franco, but he’s no definite and he may be 2-3 years away from being a contributor. MAYBE he’s an Acuna or a Soto, but he doesn’t have the power of either or the speed of Acuna.  His power and speed tools are still in development. If I have a core like this guy’s team then I’m trying to win THIS year.

Edited by Smacdaddy

All players have different skillsets and other factors involved. They are completely independent of anyonelse.

The fact Buxton and Moncada were rated high, and have not yet met expectations, is completely irrelevant to Francos success or failure.

Btw, Buxton and Moncada careers aren't even to their peak years yet.

Little early to close the book.

Funny, no one mentions, Voit is already 30. And really hasn't proved what he can do, over 162.

And Torres only hit 3 hrs last year.

So was that a fluke?

Was Voits hr total a fluke?

Everyone just wants to focus on well, Franco hasn't done anything yet.

• Like 1