James Robinson 2021 Outlook

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is depressing for the kid,    He's now almost certainly a backup RB for the next 2 years, and will have no chance to prove he wasn't a fluke.   Then, IIRC, he's an ERFA, so the Jags keep him agai

Imagine stumbling upon a great undrafted workhorse RB and then spending 1st round draft capital on another RB the next season. Surely the Jags could have found a better position to spend that pick on.

Bengals pick was even dumber considering the beating Burrow took in his first season.

Jaguars signed RB Carlos Hyde, formerly of the Seahawks, to a two-year, $6 million contract. 

Although he wasn't recruited by new Jaguars coach Urban Meyer, Hyde turned his time under his college coach into a monster senior season and the No. 57 overall pick of the 2014 Draft. Hyde has turned into one of the NFL's better role-playing, veteran backs, but his addition is actually good news for second-year pro James Robinson. Hyde is not the sort of player who is going to come in and take a job, even if he and Meyer go way back. It is still possible the Jags make another addition to their backfield, but for now, Robinson's RB2 case remains secure. Even in the event of a Robinson injury, Hyde is not plug-and-play running back insurance at this stage of his career.

Mar 15, 2021, 7:13 PM ET

No need to complain if they make this backfield some kind of committee. Lawrence relying on the running game will help his progress

Think of it sort of like Fred Taylor and MJD

Edited by Chippa

Seeing Hyde paired with Robinson is much less scary than plenty of other options they had, especially considering the money available to the Jags.   

• Like 1

One of the concerns with Robinson was that we have no idea if Meyer thinks he’s a good fit in his system. Meyer didn’t draft Robinson. In fact, nobody drafted Robinson. Meyer has no loyalty to Robinson and the team doesn’t have much invested in him, relatively speaking. 

Then as soon as free agency opens up, Meyer wastes no time in signing Carlos Hyde, a RB he knows well who proved to be a great  fit in his system. Meyer acquired Hyde knowing exactly the type of player he is, what he does well, and how he fits into his system. The two of them have likely already begun reminiscing about the glory days and how they’re going to recapture some of that magic in 2021. How much of that magic can be recaptured remains to be seen. Maybe not much, or maybe we’ll be surprised.

The best year of Hyde’s entire career was just in 2019, surprisingly similar to James Robinson in 2020...

Carlos Hyde 2019-
245 carries/ 1070 yards/ 4.4 ypc/ 6 TD

James Robinson 2020-

240/ carries/ 1070 yards/ 4.5 ypc/ 7 TD

The key difference being Robinson also had 49/344/3 as a receiver, something Hyde has never particularly excelled at. 

I’m not saying Robinson owners should be panicking, but when a new coach, with a new system, goes out and acquires a veteran RB who has previously flourished in that coaches system, the other RBs on the roster have reason to be slightly concerned. 

Edited by Lamont Sanford
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Lamont Sanford said:

The key difference being Robinson also had 49/344/3 as a receiver, something Hyde has never particularly excelled at. 

Hyde had almost exactly those numbers in 2017, plus a couple rec and yards, but minus the TDs. 

In any case, I wouldn't be too scared about Hyde. Yes it's a 2 year 6M contract but I want to bet my left testicle that Hyde in practice gets 1M/year guaranteed and the rest is fluff. Well, not my left testicle maybe, but I still expect this to be a mostly voidable team-friendly contract that allows them to have a backup in case Robinson needs a push (or a stretcher).

• Like 1
On 1/29/2021 at 10:27 PM, Maglio said:

Robinson was a great story in 2020. The stars aligned and by default he rarely left the field. To think this will continue in 2021 is being extremely short sighted. I think his outstanding play this past season has earned him the majority of the touches but do not be the least bit surprised if he’s in involved in some sort of committee. 

To think it won't continue is extremely short-sighted. The kid is legit. Even though he rarely left the field, he still only had 289 touches. He could get a lower percentage of the carries and still walk away with more carries in 2021 than he did in 2020. I'm not sure why you're worried about them going to a committee when he's shown that he can be the back. If Bevell has a clear lead back, he'll go with a lead back. Urban adjusted at OhioSt and started going with a lead back. I see nothing so far that causes me any concern about Robinson suddenly being thrust into a committee, other than people being afraid it'll happen because he was a UDFA. 

1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

Hyde had almost exactly those numbers in 2017, plus a couple rec and yards, but minus the TDs. 

In any case, I wouldn't be too scared about Hyde. Yes it's a 2 year 6M contract but I want to bet my left testicle that Hyde in practice gets 1M/year guaranteed and the rest is fluff. Well, not my left testicle maybe, but I still expect this to be a mostly voidable team-friendly contract that allows them to have a backup in case Robinson needs a push (or a stretcher).

Hyde is no elite option at receiver. The Jags would have been smart to involve Robinson more last season. Robinson looks like the real deal in all aspects of his game.

There's probably some post on here that have me talking some crap about Robinson. I think I even called him slow, albeit super talented. 

There's nothing to see here. James Robinson, if healthy has earned not just an opportunity to stay relevant, but proved he can be one of the best running backs in the NFL. That Jags team last year was absolute garbage and Robinson still wowed. Running back is the 1 thing this team doesn't have to worry about. 

• Like 1

Things broke nicely for Robinson. Hyde was like the perfect addition, good enough to give Robinson a breather, but no danger to taking the starting job away. The addition of Lawrence should help make the offense better and the run/pass ratio should improve from a league low 35% run to 65% pass with improvements the Jags will/have made. He's going to be a solid RB1 barring injury.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2021 at 10:50 AM, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Not paying retail for this dude 2021, was a fun free 2020 penny fou d on the ground, thats it

Well, anyone talking about drafting/owning Robinson in a redraft league shouldn’t even be in here right now, good job following the pack. For anyone who drafted him (me) or scooped him up in the preseason last year found a potential dynasty/keeper STUD that should provide value for years to come. Have you actually watched any of his tape? Dude is smooth like butter, almost never goes down on first contact, always falls forward, and catches the ball really well. The Hyde signing doesn’t hurt his value, all it does is help.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Imagine stumbling upon a great undrafted workhorse RB and then spending 1st round draft capital on another RB the next season. Surely the Jags could have found a better position to spend that pick on.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Gotta link college teammates, no matter the cost. JRob basically becomes Tony Pollard/AJ Dillon.

1 hour ago, sSektor said:

Right as in literally any other position other than special teams or QB.

Imagine drafting the best QB prospect in nearly a decade and then not getting him an offensive lineman when you need OL help and there was some really good value available.

What idiots. The entire “coaches and GMs know more than you do” thing has merit sure but sometimes these dudes go full dumbass mode.

• Like 2

This is depressing for the kid,    He's now almost certainly a backup RB for the next 2 years, and will have no chance to prove he wasn't a fluke.   Then, IIRC, he's an ERFA, so the Jags keep him again for the league minimum.  After that, if they don't tender him and he can finally leave, he'll have made maybe 3 million or so, and he'll be lucky to get a seven figure deal 

• Like 5

That was so damn disrespectful to JRob. Dude comes out of nowhere and puts up a 1K yard rushing season and has legitimate talent and they just throw him to the side. I felt really bad for him last night and still almost a day later feel bad for him. I know it’s the NFL and it’s a business but damn, that was f****d up.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

That was so damn disrespectful to JRob. Dude comes out of nowhere and puts up a 1K yard rushing season and has legitimate talent and they just throw him to the side. I felt really bad for him last night and still almost a day later feel bad for him. I know it’s the NFL and it’s a business but damn, that was f****d up.

Maybe Robinson should demand a trade or threaten to retire.