NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tommy Edman or Austin Riley in 2021 and future WHIR

Looking for some depth at 3B now that it looks like Vlad is going to be 1B permanently. I have a deal in the works for either Edman or Riley.

I like Riley more and so does the guy I'm trying to trade with so he's asking for more for Riley than Edman. When i look at dynasty rankings, Edman is almost always higher.

I dont see the upside with Edman. He came out of nowhere in 2019, was bad last year, minor league numbers don't wow, and statcast numebrs are weak.

Who do you all think is more valuable in 21 and going forward? 

WHIR

I personally like Edman overall better. I think he'll give you a higher average and 20/20 possibilities. Don't take last year too much into account with him. The Cardinals more than probably any other team last year had the craziest schedule with Covid. So his GB rate going up could have just been a product of playing so many games in a short period of time. Riley could pop out 25+ HR's but I don't think he offers much more and if Edman is going to come cheaper all the better for you

• Like 1

Edman is a 10-15 HR/SB guy that has eligibility all over.

Riley is close to a full fledged break out in my opinion.  He has a good and improving contact rate and that exit velo shows elite level power.  He shows some slight GB tendencies, but once that is fixed he'll be a stud.

Thanks for help on mine.

• Like 1

Definitely prefer Riley because I see Edman as more of a util guy. He's fine to plug and play but I need more from my 3b position. Depending on the price for Riley I'd try to get him. Although, it's not something you have to rush into. Vlad will still have 3B eligibility for the entire year so you could wait and see if he gets enough starts there to keep it for 2022 or try to find a replacement later in the year or next offseason. Thanks for the input on mine.

It all depends on what you mean by cheaper.  Edman probably has a better floor than Riley but no where near the ceiling.  Riley has titanic power and an improving hit tool.  He may hurt you in K leagues, and Edman is probably going to be more consistent next year.   

Personally I love Riley’s upside and if the difference asked isn’t ridiculous then that’s who I’d target.  Tough to advise though since we don’t know who you’d have to give.