NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Rowdy Tellez 2021 Outlook

On 7/15/2021 at 8:59 AM, mavsfan23 said:

I still have a Billy Butler shirt that I wear every so often, not because I liked Billy Butler, but because it has his amazing nick name on the front "Country Breakfast". 

I get way more people looking confused asking what my shirt means, than hey I like your shirt. 

This is a great video if you're a fan of Country Breakfast. Also, Rowdy's real given name is Ryan John. How much longer does Milwaukee hold his rights? I'm really thinking if they acquired him and have him for a few years, this means they're going to try to make it work between him and Vogelbach. Is Vogey a FA next year?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

How much longer does Milwaukee hold his rights? I'm really thinking if they acquired him and have him for a few years, this means they're going to try to make it work between him and Vogelbach. Is Vogey a FA next year?

Rowdy is still pre-arb, though next year he enters that 3 year phase or arbitration control...at age 27.  Vogey was a ton-tender guy that agreed to a 1yr 1.4MM deal, he also is just entering arb control next year (age 28+). Both guys could be non-tendered candidates and brought back cheaper/let walk (more likely for Vogey) as these guys tend to have little value on the market. Though the DH addition to the NL (if it occurs) will help their respective causes.

Edited by ST. STEVEN
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Rowdy is still pre-arb, though next year he enters that 3 year phase or arbitration control...at age 27.  Vogey was a ton-tender guy that agreed to a 1yr 1.4MM deal, he also is just entering arb control next year (age 28+). Both guys could be non-tendered candidates and brought back cheaper/let walk (more likely for Vogey) as these guys tend to have little value on the market. Though the DH addition to the NL (if it occurs) will help their respective causes.

That's what I thought, they've had success with pairing guys at 1B in recent years, with Thames and Braun, so a little healthy competition is a good thing. If tasked to put together DFA candidates I'm sure Vogey would've been there, there just isn't much appreciation for him on the market. He hustles, I like him, but that hustling is what led him to his current injury.

1 minute ago, Richard Kimble said:

That's what I thought, they've had success with pairing guys at 1B in recent years, with Thames and Braun, so a little healthy competition is a good thing. If tasked to put together DFA candidates I'm sure Vogey would've been there, there just isn't much appreciation for him on the market. He hustles, I like him, but that hustling is what led him to his current injury.

Yeah people get caught up with Vogey's 30 HR 2019 season (hat tip to the happy fun ball) but this guy is a .208/.330/.405 career batter...that is nothing more than bench thunder.

Rowdy has a better chance to be more imo. Though his .240/.301/.454 career slash isn't all that much more impressive. He can at least play a solid 1B.

He has a few weeks to prove he can be the answer for MIL (at best)...It really isn't fair, but that is the way it goes.

4 hours ago, this guy right here said:

Early life

Born in Sacramento, California, he is the oldest child of Greg and Lori (née Bernick) Tellez.[2][3] He is Jewish.[4][5] His father said of him before he was born: "We didn't know the sex and we didn't want to know, and we stayed away from calling him 'Baby' or 'It.' But he was so active in there, moving around all of the time in the womb, that we ended up calling him 'Baby Rowdy,' and it stuck. Now he's just 'Rowdy,' and that's how everybody knows him."[2][6] Tellez is of Mexican descent through his father, and his paternal grandfather played in the Mexican Baseball League.[7][8]

Neither consider themselves to be white.

Got news for you.  BOTH are caucasion, NOT black or Asian.  Again there are only THREE races to pick from. 

Hispanic is a cultural group based around a common language thus a "ethnic" group.  It is NOT a race.  Hispanics can look lily white to very dark brown and can also have a mixture of black and white races to varying degrees within the group.  David Ortiz looks black.  Nomar Garciaparra looks white.  Many fall along the black/white spectrum.  Rowdy Tellez looks white to me. Period.

Jews can fit into three categories.  Some consider themselves Semites (subset of caucasian race which includes Jews and Arabs) but secular only and not interested in Judaism per se these days though the overwhelming majority in the same category considered themselves both.   And some others like the South African Jews only use the religious tag.  The first two are caucasian.  The last are black.

I look forward to the day when people do get so confused over someone like Tellez that not only race but also ethnicity and religion will no longer be "things" to define a human being with.  Unfortunately I won't see this happen in my lifetime especially with the way things are going with people inventing whole new races out of ethnic and religious groups.  Sigh.

Anyway bottom line Tellez looks like a whilte (which he is), corn-feed, flat-footed 1B along the lines of many of those in the past. What the heck is your problem with that comment?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Got news for you.  BOTH are caucasion, NOT black or Asian.  Again there are only THREE races to pick from. 

Hispanic is a cultural group based around a common language thus a "ethnic" group.  It is NOT a race.  Hispanics can look lily white to very dark brown and can also have a mixture of black and white races to varying degrees within the group.  David Ortiz looks black.  Nomar Garciaparra looks white.  Many fall along the black/white spectrum.  Rowdy Tellez looks white to me. Period.

Jews can fit into three categories.  Some consider themselves Semites (subset of caucasian race which includes Jews and Arabs) but secular only and not interested in Judaism per se these days though the overwhelming majority in the same category considered themselves both.   And some others like the South African Jews only use the religious tag.  The first two are caucasian.  The last are black.

I look forward to the day when people do get so confused over someone like Tellez that not only race but also ethnicity and religion will no longer be "things" to define a human being with.  Unfortunately I won't see this happen in my lifetime especially with the way things are going with people inventing whole new races out of ethnic and religious groups.  Sigh.

Anyway bottom line Tellez looks like a whilte (which he is), corn-feed, flat-footed 1B along the lines of many of those in the past. What the heck is your problem with that comment?

Oh, well, case closed I guess. 

Who would have thought I’d have found the final authority and arbiter of these sensitive topics on a fantasy baseball forum? 

Glad I’ve had that weight taken off my shoulders! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

He is being slept on.

All of a sudden the Brewers lineup doesn't look terrible.  He had to have earned a couple more starts after the two bombs today.

• Like 1

Just now, B&F said:

He is being slept on.

All of a sudden the Brewers lineup doesn't look terrible.  He had to have earned a couple more starts after the two bombs today.

For sure. The MIL lineup is not half bad, and getting better. Starting today against one of the best left handers in the game is awfully telling. Peace out Hiura...

This might be another really astute acquisition by the Brewers FO? 

11 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

This might be another really astute acquisition by the Brewers FO? 

If we're praising the Pirates for acquiring fellow big boy John Nogowski, certainly the Brewers deserve the same credit. I don't understand why teams don't target hitters that are blocked like this more often. Its a win-win situation, low cost to acquire a guy who probably feels he has something to prove, and if it doesn't pan out, he can be non-tendered. This certainly spells the end for Mr. Hiura's relevance, and is he going to even factor into their plans for next year at this point?

50 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

The Eduardo Escobar acquisition certainly dims his outlook. It's either him or Urias who is gonna lose the PT.

But man everything under the hood looks REALLY good.

I think he’s going to keep batting 5th against lefties for as long as he keeps hitting. There’s pressure though not to fall into a slump. I’m rolling him out in weeklies this week with 6 home games on tap, all against righties (including 3 against the Pirates’ gas cans.

• Like 2

Pinch hit bomb vs Shreve.  He should be playing every day. 

He was a breakout candidate for me this season.  It is coming.

1 minute ago, B&F said:

Pinch hit bomb vs Shreve.  He should be playing every day. 

He was a breakout candidate for me this season.  It is coming.

Guy handles lefties more than fine, the way he is going he should be playing full-time...but I doubt it happens (sans an injury)...

They need to find ways to get Urias a few ABs, and the most sensible way appears to be having Escobar shift to 1B v lefties. Adames and Wong don't appear to like days off.

Up to ~.250 with a .750 ops on the season. Considering where he was when the blue jays traded him thats mighty impressive. He will play enough to give category juice. The other guys in this competition for PT have had years to show something and have failed to do so

12 minutes ago, cyberer said:

Early reports say he left game with a dislocated thumb 

Where do you see that? All I see about a dislocated thumb is some rando on Twitter with 1 follower.

• Like 1