NBC Sports Edge Forums

Daulton Varsho 2021 Outlook

4 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

Maybe an opening now?

Those 29 likes and counting gotta be Varsho's fantasy owners... me included... LOL

Just Sayin GIFs | Tenor

It's apparently not that serious.

Kole Calhoun will be having surgery Wednesday for a right knee medial meniscus tear, the Diamondbacks clarified on Tuesday evening.

Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo announced just a bit ago that Calhoun was headed for surgery, and now we have more details about the exact nature of the procedure. It's going to be a partial medial meniscectomy, which usually requires about 4-6 weeks of rest and rehab. That timeline would rule Calhoun out for Opening Day, but he could potentially join the lineup in Arizona sometime around mid-to-late April.

Source: Zach Buchanan on Twitter               Mar 2, 2021, 6:21 PM ET

Varsho will play regularly sooner than later anyway since he is too good to hold back.  This just kind of guarantees he gets an early start like on Opening Day.  Once up it becomes very hard to send him back down.

• 4 weeks later...

Not posted yet, so not really "news", but Varsho has been optioned to AAA to start the season.  I don't see much in the way of conversation about it on the Twittosphere.  This just a service time manipulation thing?

19 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Found some comments that he was really struggling in ST and maybe just isn't ready.

Thoughts, oh wise community?

Yeah I caught a number of his ABs and he was really scuffling, some awfully poor looking ABs...no reason to rush him with their catchers and OF depth.

2 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Not posted yet, so not really "news", but Varsho has been optioned to AAA to start the season.  I don't see much in the way of conversation about it on the Twittosphere.  This just a service time manipulation thing?

Definitely not service time.  He was up last year for 101 AB's.

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Definitely not service time.  He was up last year for 101 AB's.

Not saying it’s service time manipulation, but just because someone has already debuted doesn’t mean there aren’t service time advantages in sending them down. I tried to explain this with you regarding Lux last year . You can get the extra year or bump them to super two if they are down enough in year two.

26 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Not saying it’s service time manipulation, but just because someone has already debuted doesn’t mean there aren’t service time advantages in sending them down. I tried to explain this with you regarding Lux last year . You can get the extra year or bump them to super two if they are down enough in year two.

I know that but no way are they holding Varsho down when he is already over a hundred AB's.  That wasn't a brief, September cup of coffee last year with just a few ABs to cover.  Varsho is too good of a player to keep down that long. 

3 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I know that but no way are they holding Varsho down when he is already over a hundred AB's.  That wasn't a brief, September cup of coffee last year with just a few ABs to cover.  Varsho is too good of a player to keep down that long. 

Why do you think they sent him down and are currently projected to keep Locastro, Van Meter, and Trayce Thompson instead?  I don't honestly know. Seems a little sketch to me. 

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

What exactly has varsho done to deserve a starting mlb job 

I mean you have a point, but the guys I mentioned above haven't done anything either and they've had more opportunities. He's a top 100 prospect and I'd think he'd at least make a good bench candidate for them now. But I guess he could use full time at bats in AAA.

14 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

What exactly has varsho done to deserve a starting mlb job 

Well, for me, it's cuz he has C elig. Anyone with C-elig and vying for a non-C position to play, they always deserve a starting job in my books ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Could be the best prospect to be called up this year for two reasons, 20-30 steals at catcher position, if you have a top notch catcher already you could use him as your OF or utility and when your catcher get the day off every 6th or 7th day, you got Thai guy to plug 🔌 right into your catcher spot 

11 minutes ago, Brye said:

Could be the best prospect to be called up this year for two reasons, 20-30 steals at catcher position, if you have a top notch catcher already you could use him as your OF or utility and when your catcher get the day off every 6th or 7th day, you got Thai guy to plug 🔌 right into your catcher spot 

20-30 steals seems extremely optimistic. There aren’t going to be many major leaguers that hit that mark this year, yet alone a rookie who hasn’t shown the ability to hit major league pitching yet. I think he’s worth adding if you need C help, but I’m not nearly as optimistic.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, meh2 said:

20-30 steals seems extremely optimistic. There aren’t going to be many major leaguers that hit that mark this year, yet alone a rookie who hasn’t shown the ability to hit major league pitching yet. I think he’s worth adding if you need C help, but I’m not nearly as optimistic.

I agree.  Varsho hasn’t shown that he can hit yet.  20-30 steals is outrageously optimistic.  Maybe 10-15 if you’re lucky.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Any speculation on his playing time now that he's on the 26 man roster?

I speculate he'll be back in the minions before the end of May.

• 2 weeks later...