NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Daulton Varsho 2021 Outlook

Holoday hits righty so it's possible they call him up to platoon with Vogt. 

That said, Varsho should be the call. D-Backs need to inject some life into that lineup. Varsho has an impressive speed/power combination and really has sorted things out in AAA it seems.

Yes, he struggled in his short time in the MLB, and SO! That won't be the first player to require a "period of adjustment". Won't be the last. D-backs are finished on the season, time to sell and play some kids. Varsho has earned the recall with his AAA performance. He is hitting for power with a very solid 18% K-rate. 

• 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

waiting for Castellanos to hit the IL..hopefully soon, really thinking about picking him up 

Yeah, he's starting again today. If he gets ramped up to starting 5 games a week and he's chipping in steals AND dingers he could easily be a top 10 catcher ROS. They definitely are going to try to get him his ABs considering its a lost season at this point.

.381/.480/.905 over his last 7 games with 3 HRs, 2 steals, and a 5:4 k:bb ratio 👀 

Add in 90th percentile sprint speed and 75th percentile maxEV and it’s welcome aboard, Daulton. Stay hot, kid.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

After the middle of next week, he has some tough matchups for a LONG stretch…16 straights games vs 3 of the top 4 teams in the majors in team ERA 🤮

He's a flier anyway so might as well throw him to the wolves. 

3 minutes ago, B&F said:

Will Mate returning affect his playing time?  I guess at worst he splits time with Kelly when he returns.

He'll probably only be healthy for a couple games. I don't think we have to look into that too much.

6 minutes ago, B&F said:

Will Mate returning affect his playing time?  I guess at worst he splits time with Kelly when he returns.

I think PT will depend on who gets traded.  If names like Reddick, Peralta, Escobar, Calhoun, etc get moved before the deadline then Varsho should still see ABs in the OF or at DH when they play in AL parks.  If not then his PT could take a hit from where it is right now, but I'd imagine that he'll play if he's hitting like this.

3 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Not sure how “heavy” I would go..needs some things to happen with deadline moves for the snakes for everyday at bats

Hard to imagine a scenario where doesn't get at least 75% PT. Dbacks have nothing to play for and should be developing their young talent. Varsho is a year removed from being a top prospect with a 1.188 OPS in AAA. He needs reps in the majors and I'm loving some off the underlying numbers he's shown since being recalled from AAA.

6 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

Hard to imagine a scenario where doesn't get at least 75% PT. Dbacks have nothing to play for and should be developing their young talent. Varsho is a year removed from being a top prospect with a 1.188 OPS in AAA. He needs reps in the majors and I'm loving some off the underlying numbers he's shown since being recalled from AAA.

As an owner, I hope so, BUT…

kelly will be back real soon which cuts into his catching time, and IF there are no deals that go down, that is a crowded outfield for sure 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

They definitely should be...but this org is very poorly run right now. An absent GM (for good reason) who was prob on the cusp of getting canned and now it is an interim guy who might not have any real true authority. Plus a lame-duck and mostly useless manager, that has very little interest in letting these young guys play/develop and will absolutely continue to pander to his vet players. They somehow need to clear the decks of most all of these guys in order to force his hand...just no idea if that happens.

At least Varsho is earning it, as of late. Hard to not see him catching 4 times a week, at least.

6 hours ago, dicka24 said:

I think PT will depend on who gets traded.  If names like Reddick, Peralta, Escobar, Calhoun, etc get moved before the deadline then Varsho should still see ABs in the OF or at DH when they play in AL parks.  If not then his PT could take a hit from where it is right now, but I'd imagine that he'll play if he's hitting like this.

Varsho is starting to come into shape as a young player at the big league level. He has experience at CF, C, LF, RF and even 2B. He is part of the future and this season is part of his develoment. There is no way in hell someone like Josh Reddick would take anything more than cursory at bats away from him.  

The ONLY thing that would keep Varsho out the lineup for a bottom feeding team (other than the occasional rest day) is if he went into a prolonged slump that would necessitate him being sent to AAA to recharge his swing (as they did earlier). Outside of that he won't be sitting behind any of those guys as the D-Backs focus on the future. 

I don't see that happening. Will he scuffle? Of course, it's baseball, he'll have his valleys still. Even before he heated up the signs were there he was ready to start breaking out. The contact rate got better, he appeared to be seeing the ball well. Now things are coming along for the young guy. It's great to see, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1