NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Daulton Varsho 2021 Outlook

29 minutes ago, collucho said:

AND playing CF. He has a good game today and he'll be 50% owned tomorrow.

Should be way higher, imo. There’s only 6 catchers I’d rather own over him rest of season. The fantasy ceiling here is 📈.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Should be way higher, imo. There’s only 6 catchers I’d rather own over him rest of season. The fantasy ceiling here is 📈.

Oh of course but not everyone is active on a fantasy sports forum. The casuals need us geniuses to show them the way. 

He didn't last long in the leadoff spot. Not sure how you go from leading off to batting 9th but I'm just happy he's in the lineup. Panicked a bit when I got 8 spots down the lineup and didn't see him ha.

20 minutes ago, collucho said:

He didn't last long in the leadoff spot. Not sure how you go from leading off to batting 9th but I'm just happy he's in the lineup. Panicked a bit when I got 8 spots down the lineup and didn't see him ha.

I'd be worried about his PT once Kelly and Marte returns from the IL. 

10 minutes ago, Gryfter said:

I'd be worried about his PT once Kelly and Marte returns from the IL. 

Not too worried. He starts sitting 3 times a week I'll just pickup another bum catcher off the waiver wire. 

They've already said their second half focus is on developing the young guys like Pavin, Daulton, etc. (Because, duh.) And that was before Varsho went .400 w/ 3 HR & 3 SB over the last 14 days. Wouldn't be too worried. He's going to play.

People have such unreasonable expectations. Someone proclaimed him the top catcher in fantasy like 10 days ago. Gimme a break, I'd take at least a dozen other catchers off the top of my head ROS. Varsho's got intriguing upside once he matures, and I'm glad he's shown some flashes, but I don't see him as much of an option in re-drafts for 2021. Sorry to rain on your parade, he's still a rookie on a steep learning curve. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Not talking about just last night…

His skills have jumped considerably from last time he was in the MLB and he is still due for even more positive regression based on underlying #'s.

Contact % up 10, swstr% down, avg EV up 2mph and climbing, barreling twice the amount of balls. Eye has even improved with less called strikes.

About every ROS projection system is calling for atleast a 50pt BABIP improvement.

Is it going to be all sunshine and rainbows on the way up? Probably not...

• Like 1