NBC Sports Edge Forums

In my draft prep I review the standings from the previous year of my league, I throw it into a table and look at what it would take to finish in the top 3, bottom 3, and middle of the pack.

I consider how close categories are and what their typical gaps are. Categories that are more tightly grouped I consider to be categories I can improve standing through in season management, and others with large gaps are more relied upon drafting.

But to answer your original question I try to build my team to score no less than 7 points out of 10 in a 10 team Roto, but really want a top 3 finish.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, StevieStats said:

In my draft prep I review the standings from the previous year of my league, I throw it into a table and look at what it would take to finish in the top 3, bottom 3, and middle of the pack.

I consider how close categories are and what their typical gaps are. Categories that are more tightly grouped I consider to be categories I can improve standing through in season management, and others with large gaps are more relied upon drafting.

But to answer your original question I try to build my team to score no less than 7 points out of 10 in a 10 team Roto, but really want a top 3 finish.

Is there a way to check that if you are in a new league with no history of how you need to score to finish in the top of categories. 

2 hours ago, Railer06 said:

Hi,

Do any of you have amounts you try to reach for any of the categories as a goal. Perhaps when you would draft, you would draft in function of reaching a specific amount of R, HR, ERA, etc.

36 minutes ago, Railer06 said:

Is there a way to check that if you are in a new league with no history of how you need to score to finish in the top of categories. 

You need to share the amount of teams and the amount of starting positions in your league. The NFBC shares that but they are 12 and 15 team leagues with 2 C, 1  1B 2B 3B SS CI MI UT, 5 OF and 9 P.

If your league uses different starting rosters the numbers would be different.

Found this via google but it was for 2018, also seen 2016 and 2013

https://razzball.com/2018draftgoals/

The 2018 and 16 came out in March of that year, the 2013 in February.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Railer06 said:

This will be a challenge for everyone, considering no one played a full season. I'm not sure just prorating everything will be very accurate.

Yes, in roto you should always set targets for each of the categories ahead of the draft and then enter in your projections in a spreadsheet as you draft. For me, I have a hierarchy of categories that I weigh differently based on my experiences and strengths and weaknesses. For example, the three most important categories to make sure I’m hitting targets are home runs, steals, and strikeouts. The old adage of “you can’t win a league on draft day, but you can lose it” applies here. I’ve found that if I’m way behind in any of those three categories immediately after the draft, I’m going to be in trouble all season.

The two categories that I pay the least attention to as I draft (but still track) are wins and batting average as I find there to be a lot of variability in the projections and what actually happens. Some people may disagree with batting average, but I find that as long as I’m not drafting more than 1 or 2 batting average drains, I’ll be fine in that category. Lastly, I only set my target for saves at about 30-50% for the draft as I am confident in my ability to pick up the rest off the waiver wire as the season goes on. That means that if I determine that I’ll need 100 saves at the end of the season to be at or near first in that category, I’m only drafting 30-50 saves and will be aggressive on the wire after.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, meh2 said:

Yes, in roto you should always set targets for each of the categories ahead of the draft and then enter in your projections in a spreadsheet as you draft. For me, I have a hierarchy of categories that I weigh differently based on my experiences and strengths and weaknesses. For example, the three most important categories to make sure I’m hitting targets are home runs, steals, and strikeouts. The old adage of “you can’t win a league on draft day, but you can lose it” applies here. I’ve found that if I’m way behind in any of those three categories immediately after the draft, I’m going to be in trouble all season.

The two categories that I pay the least attention to as I draft (but still track) are wins and batting average as I find there to be a lot of variability in the projections and what actually happens. Some people may disagree with batting average, but I find that as long as I’m not drafting more than 1 or 2 batting average drains, I’ll be fine in that category. Lastly, I only set my target for saves at about 30-50% for the draft as I am confident in my ability to pick up the rest off the waiver wire as the season goes on. That means that if I determine that I’ll need 100 saves at the end of the season to be at or near first in that category, I’m only drafting 30-50 saves and will be aggressive on the wire after.

I agree with your three targeted categories.  Also I play in OBP leagues now where I find it very important.  OBP is so much different than Batting Average that when I switched to leagues with the former rather than the latter I had to struggle a bit with that category.  Kind of like learning a new language.  It was one of my worst categories at first so I've learned to push it way up when scouring for prospects and FA players in our mini drafts and in trades because it is very hard to boost it up in season.

• Like 1