NBC Sports Edge Forums

Marty Shottenheimer in hospice

7 hours ago, kdko said:

One of the many moronic moves by the worst NFL owner in the league (Dean Spanos), by letting this man go many years ago... 

Why did I read this with the name “Daniel Snyder” in parentheses?

• Haha 1

If you want to see an example of having no class at all, here was WaPo's headline this morning:

"Marty Schottenheimer, NFL coach whose teams wilted in the postseason, dies at 77."

What a disgusting thing to do to a man and his family.  Two thumbs down.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

If you want to see an example of having no class at all, here was WaPo's headline this morning:

"Marty Schottenheimer, NFL coach whose teams wilted in the postseason, dies at 77."

Just read that. That's just awful.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

That would be very disgusting, but that's not the headline I see right now?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/marty-schottenheimer-dead/2021/02/09/701f91e2-6748-11eb-886d-5264d4ceb46d_story.html

Marty Schottenheimer, one of the NFL’s winningest coaches, dies at 77

Edited by Boudewijn
29 minutes ago, BMcP said:

They changed it subsequently after the well-deserved backlash hit.

Indeed. That's not a good look, very bad. They also don't seem to have posted an apology either on Twitter or online, which is also very disappointing.

Just now, Boudewijn said:

Indeed. That's not a good look, very bad. They also don't seem to have posted an apology either on Twitter or online, which is also very disappointing.

Right - and left their derogatory opening paragraph intact.

4 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Looks like it needs subscription to read. 

The opening paragraph still says, “Marty Schottenheimer, one of the winningest coaches in the National Football League whose teams found regular-season success yet often struggled in the playoffs and failed to reach the Super Bowl, died Feb. 8 at a hospice center in Charlotte. He was 77.”

37 minutes ago, BMcP said:

The opening paragraph still says, “Marty Schottenheimer, one of the winningest coaches in the National Football League whose teams found regular-season success yet often struggled in the playoffs and failed to reach the Super Bowl, died Feb. 8 at a hospice center in Charlotte. He was 77.”

It would be nice if they could paint a better picture. I just got out of work and have been reading now. I liked the espn article... “Schottenheimer was the eighth-winningest coach in NFL history. He went 200-126-1 in 21 seasons with the Browns, Chiefs, Washington and Chargers.”. 

Guy won at 0.674 rate in a league where this is not easy. I remember the playoff game at New England with his best year. NE fans were never mad at him. NE hated mostly Ladainian Tomlinson for him trash talking earlier. 

God bless Marty and Marty’s family. A legend. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

It would be nice if they could paint a better picture. I just got out of work and have been reading now. I liked the espn article... “Schottenheimer was the eighth-winningest coach in NFL history. He went 200-126-1 in 21 seasons with the Browns, Chiefs, Washington and Chargers.”. 

Guy won at 0.674 rate in a league where this is not easy. I remember the playoff game at New England with his best year. NE fans were never mad at him. NE hated mostly Ladainian Tomlinson for him trash talking earlier. 

God bless Marty and Marty’s family. A legend. 

His teams were fun to watch. If only Byner hadn't fumbled.

Nevertheless - yes - a legend. Great coach. 

Growing up an Elway fan, I always felt brutal for Marty.  You had to respect the process.  Establishing the run is a trope in today's game I suppose but Marty had it down to an art form.  I still have nightmares about toss plays to Marcus Allen. 

RIP Marty, one of the greats in this game.