NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Carson Wentz 2021 Outlook

1 minute ago, MJJ28 said:

The fact that Wentz’s team won the SB with his backup in 2017 shows that he was not even close to playing at an MVP level. He clearly wasn’t particularly valuable at all to the team that season.

Trubisky amd Wentz are about equal. I’d give the edge to Trubisky though due to his mobility.

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/carson-wentz-2017-a-season-for-the-ages-19969386

23 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Yea he had some nice numbers in that 13 game stretch, but based on the fact that his team was so great that year that they won the SB with a backup, and the rest of Wentz’s body of work, it’s clear that those 13 games were just a product of being surrounded by an incredibly great supporting cast.

Edited by MJJ28
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

Yea he had some nice numbers in that 13 game stretch, but based on the fact that his team was so great that year that they won the SB with a backup, and the rest of Wentz’s body of work, it’s clear that those 13 games were just a product of being surrounded by an incredibly great supporting cast.

If you disagree that he would’ve won MVP that year that’s one thing - but to claim that he “clearly wasn’t particularly valuable at all” is patently indefensible.

Edited by BMcP

10 minutes ago, BMcP said:

If you disagree that he would’ve won MVP that year that’s one thing - but to claim that he “clearly wasn’t particularly valuable at all” is patently indefensible.

I mean, I don’t disagree that he likely would have won the MVP if he didn’t get hurt. It clearly would have been a mistake though given that we now know the team really didn’t even need him at all that year.

Based on how things turned out, he clearly wasn’t valuable at all to the team. They won the damn Super Bowl without him. You can’t be the “most valuable player” in the league if your team doesn’t skip a beat without you. He clearly, demonstrably, was not particularly valuable to the success of the 2017 Super Bowl winning Eagles. That’s just a fact.

Edited by MJJ28
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

I mean, I don’t disagree that he likely would have won the MVP if he didn’t get hurt. It clearly would have been a mistake though given that we now know the team really didn’t even need him at all that year.

Based on how things turned out, he clearly wasn’t valuable at all to the team. They won the damn Super Bowl without him. You can’t be the “most valuable player” in the league if your team doesn’t skip a beat without you. He clearly, demonstrably, was not particularly valuable to the success of the 2017 Super Bowl winning Eagles. That’s just a fact.

This word “valuable” - I do not think it means what you think it means.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

This word “valuable” - I do not think it means what you think it means.

I know exactly what it means.

Valuable - extremely useful or important/a thing that is of great worth.

Wentz was not particularly useful, important, or of great worth to the Super Bowl winning Eagles. They didn’t need him. We know this because that is what happened. 

Wentz is a bad QB and no team should want him as their starter.

Edited by MJJ28
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

I know exactly what it means.

Valuable - extremely useful or important/a thing that is of great worth.

Wentz was not particularly useful, important, or of great worth to the Super Bowl winning Eagles. They didn’t need him. We know this because that is what happened. 

So because Wentz played only a vast majority of the regular season, and not the entire season/postseason, he contributed nothing of worth to the team’s chances of winning?!  By that logic, if Brady got injured in the 2Q of the SB, and his replacement had to come in to finish the game, Brady would have been “clearly” of no value as well?

That’s certainly an...unorthodox way of evaluating a player’s overall contributions.

1 hour ago, MJJ28 said:

The fact that Wentz’s team won the SB with his backup in 2017 shows that he was not even close to playing at an MVP level. He clearly wasn’t particularly valuable at all to the team that season.

Also he tore his ACL, and was the undisputed #1 QB in Philly until that moment, but I suppose that's a minor detail.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/carson-wentz-has-torn-acl-his-2017-season-is-over/

Edited by Boudewijn

1 hour ago, MJJ28 said:

This is kind of unfair since he hasn't really had a competent play caller on offense since Reich left. And his 18 and 19 seasons weren't exactly terrible either. This year was the one that we saw the biggest regression for Wentz. I honestly think it was due to weapons (failed WR picks, declining Alshon/Ertz), stubborn play calling, and the obvious locker room disconnect since they effectively drafted his replacement. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, sSektor said:

This is kind of unfair since he hasn't really had a competent play caller on offense since Reich left. And his 18 and 19 seasons weren't exactly terrible either. This year was the one that we saw the biggest regression for Wentz. I honestly think it was due to weapons (failed WR picks, declining Alshon/Ertz), stubborn play calling, and the obvious locker room disconnect since they effectively drafted his replacement. 

I would just add they lost both their projected starting LT and RG before the season started, and ended up having 11 different linemen play significant snaps.

• Like 3

The Star-Ledger's Mike Kaye reports potential trade partners have been "unwilling to meet the Eagles’ demands" for Carson Wentz.

The Eagles "don’t want to give Wentz up for much less" than what the Lions got for Matthew Stafford. It's an asking price teams are balking at, as the Rams overpaid for Stafford and Wentz is coming off a disastrous 2020. The Colts have asked for a player along with Wentz to help close the gap, while Chicago is "growing impatient" with the Eagles. Wentz is still likely to be dealt, but it may not happen until deeper in the offseason.

Feb 10, 2021, 11:12 AM ET

10 minutes ago, The G Man said:

The Star-Ledger's Mike Kaye reports potential trade partners have been "unwilling to meet the Eagles’ demands" for Carson Wentz.

The Eagles "don’t want to give Wentz up for much less" than what the Lions got for Matthew Stafford. It's an asking price teams are balking at, as the Rams overpaid for Stafford and Wentz is coming off a disastrous 2020. The Colts have asked for a player along with Wentz to help close the gap, while Chicago is "growing impatient" with the Eagles. Wentz is still likely to be dealt, but it may not happen until deeper in the offseason.

Feb 10, 2021, 11:12 AM ET

Jeez Da Iggles are dumb. If someone is willing to take Wentz's bloated contract off your hands and give you a deal like what's been reported (Bears give a 1st, Cohen, and Foles) they should take it before the Bears come to their senses and rethink it. 

1 hour ago, jumper said:

Jeez Da Iggles are dumb. If someone is willing to take Wentz's bloated contract off your hands and give you a deal like what's been reported (Bears give a 1st, Cohen, and Foles) they should take it before the Bears come to their senses and rethink it. 

Goes both ways. Other teams are also desperate for a competent QB and Wentz is a year removed from just that and a few years removed from an MVP type of season. If those teams aren't in a position to pick one of the top QB's in this year's draft there really aren't any other options out there.

1 hour ago, devaster said:

Goes both ways. Other teams are also desperate for a competent QB and Wentz is a year removed from just that and a few years removed from an MVP type of season. If those teams aren't in a position to pick one of the top QB's in this year's draft there really aren't any other options out there.

mariota, Carr, Winston, Watson, Minshew, Fitzmagic all appear to be available.

23 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

mariota, Carr, Winston, Watson, Minshew, Fitzmagic all appear to be available.

I don't think Watson or Carr are available. Wasn't Watson just traded? And none of the others have approached close to what Wentz was able to do. Mariota and Minshew? lol

Here is my point.  The Bears 'have' Trubisky.  They do not have to give up tons of picks to keep him.  Plus, Trubisky will make a lot less than Wentz.  They would be dumb to trade for 'another' Trubisky.....Wentz is not that much of an upgrade than Trubisky.  In fact, Wentz has been terrible the last couple of years and Philly has already said he aint good enough for them.  If I am a team even looking at Wentz why would I pay that heavy asking price Philly is asking?  Stafford got that package because Detroit took on 'another Wentz'....Detroit is the one who got the draft picks not the Rams...for giving up Goff (who is very similar to Wentz).  Detroit got the draft picks FOR TAKING GOFF.  Eagles think people are going to give picks and accept an over paid underachieving QB like Wentz...at his salary!  Bears are better off keeping the money and draft picks.  Let Philly pay them to take Wentz because we all know the Eagles are dying to get rid of him.

Edited by StuPitt

57 minutes ago, devaster said:

I don't think Watson or Carr are available. Wasn't Watson just traded? And none of the others have approached close to what Wentz was able to do. Mariota and Minshew? lol

you said there was no options if the didn’t get Wentz. That’s not true.

whether you like them or not they are all available. The raiders said their preference was to trade mariota over care but they are obviously listening to offers for either one.

watson has not been traded he is still with the Texans but wants to be traded.

Jameis Winston had 1 of the best fantasy QB seasons ever just last year in TB I’d think he would be valuable.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is available.

28 minutes ago, StuPitt said:

Here is my point.  The Bears 'have' Trubisky.  They do not have to give up tons of picks to keep him.  Plus, Trubisky will make a lot less than Wentz.  They would be dumb to trade for 'another' Trubisky.....Wentz is not that much of an upgrade than Trubisky.  In fact, Wentz has been terrible the last couple of years and Philly has already said he aint good enough for them.  If I am a team even looking at Wentz why would I pay that heavy asking price Philly is asking?  Stafford got that package because Detroit took on 'another Wentz'....Detroit is the one who got the draft picks not the Rams...for giving up Goff (who is very similar to Wentz).  Detroit got the draft picks FOR TAKING GOFF.  Eagles think people are going to give picks and accept an over paid underachieving QB like Wentz...at his salary!  Bears are better off keeping the money and draft picks.  Let Philly pay them to take Wentz because we all know the Eagles are dying to get rid of him.

trashbinski is a FA this season unless da bears excercise his 5th year option.

14 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

trashbinski is a FA this season unless da bears excercise his 5th year option.

The Bears already declined his 5th year option (last May). 5th year options have to be accepted/declined before the 4th year. Trashbinsky is a UFA.

I know Frank Reich secretly wants this guy, except Ballard is too savvy to give much. However, I'd still try to twist his arm for a serious offer, if only to use as leverage against the Bears who are more likely to overpay.

I'm not a big Wentz fan but you can't say he didn't have a phenomenal 2018 season.  And yes... it was MVP caliber up until the time of his injury.  Now since then I think he's taken several steps back and I don't think his confidence is all there.  Not a believer no matter where he lands TBH.

It's laughable the Eagles think he's worth a 1st rounder.  He was terrible last yr literally benched for a rookie. Why would the Eagles even draft Hurts if they believed in Wentz? Who cares about 3 years ago when he was in the MVP conversation.. that means nothing now. 

Edited by NInsko

12 minutes ago, NInsko said:

It's laughable the Eagles think he's worth a 1st rounder.  He was terrible last yr literally benched for a rookie. Why would the Eagles even draft Hurts if they believed in Wentz? Who cares about 3 years ago when he was in the MVP conversation.. that means nothing now. 

He’s missed time with injuries and Roseman believes that QB depth is a key strength - which isn’t all that odd considering how many times the Eagles have been bailed out by backups over the past two decades.

6 minutes ago, BMcP said:

He’s missed time with injuries and Roseman believes that QB depth is a key strength - which isn’t all that odd considering how many times the Eagles have been bailed out by backups over the past two decades.

Its hard to tell if you actually think Wentz is good or just like to be a contrarian.. I agree with mjj28s point of view for the most part as he made a few excellent posts explaining his point of view. You basically called him illogical while twisting his words.. very deceptive and underhanded imo 

I doubt the Eagles would have drafted Hurts in the 2nd round had they thought Wentz was the long term answer nor would they have benched Wentz down the stretch if they planned to start him 2021.

What i saw last yr and the yr before was a dude who got paid and his production declined, there are many cases of this add in the list of injuries and he just doesnt seem that good. Yes he played at a mvp level for  10-13 games in 2017 but besides that  hes only had one other winning season in his 5 yrs in philly and has only played 16 games twice in 5 yrs also.. he just not that good. As a Colts fan id rather anybody else.