NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Carson Wentz 2021 Outlook

I think I'm in the minority judging by responses but I really felt on the colts, Wentz was set to be at least a really steady streaming option but more likely a genuine top 12 fantasy option with the OL and emerging receiving talents. I was looking at Alie Cox as my break in emergency TE option. So I'm a bit disappointed 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LacesOut said:

I think I'm in the minority judging by responses but I really felt on the colts, Wentz was set to be at least a really steady streaming option but more likely a genuine top 12 fantasy option with the OL and emerging receiving talents. I was looking at Alie Cox as my break in emergency TE option. So I'm a bit disappointed 

What do you think about their rookie?

Colts seems to have talent, and they have a good HC...

Hundley has to be just the camp arm, yeesh.   I don't know what Jacob Eason has in the tank but it's got to be a better option.

If Wentz really looks set to miss a ton of time, then maybe they haul Rivers back in for a month?

2 hours ago, BrianM said:

Hundley has to be just the camp arm, yeesh.   I don't know what Jacob Eason has in the tank but it's got to be a better option.

If Wentz really looks set to miss a ton of time, then maybe they haul Rivers back in for a month?

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/7/31/22603614/colts-sign-qb-brett-hundley-to-fill-the-spot-created-by-wentz-injury-sign-dt-joey-ivie

"Hundley has nine starts under his belt, which were all with the Green Bay Packers when Aaron Rodgers suffered a broken collar bone in 2017. He finished the season 3-9 as a starter. His wins came against the Bears, Bucs, and Browns. The Bears and Bucs finished last in their respective divisions, each with only five wins. The Browns didn’t win a game in 2017."

Nice. -^

Also nice:

"Also, don’t be surprised if Colts fans are hesitant to place a great deal of confidence in what the team chooses to share. The history over the last decade of downplaying injuries, resulting in major letdowns, is well documented: Peyton Manning’s neck injury was downplayed in 2011 and he missed the entire season after undergoing surgery; Andrew Luck’s shoulder injury and recovery were downplayed in 2017 and he missed the season, and Luck’s ankle injury was downplayed in 2019 before he announced an early retirement."

Eason has some potential, but this situation is just screaming for Indy to trade for a QB. They're in win right now mode, and I don't think bringing along a young developing QB is in the plans.

9 hours ago, ajs723 said:

Eason has some potential, but this situation is just screaming for Indy to trade for a QB. They're in win right now mode, and I don't think bringing along a young developing QB is in the plans.

Mishew would definitely help them right now. That said, he had much better weapons in Jacksonville and didn't get it done. Maybe an upgraded OL would do the trick.

• Like 1

Anyone else wondering why the Bears haven’t yet made a deal to send Foles to the Colts? Even for a 6th or 7th round pick? He’s not very good IMO, but they need to dump him, he knows Reich’s offense & the Colts need someone to hold that spot if Wentz can come back 

5 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

Anyone else wondering why the Bears haven’t yet made a deal to send Foles to the Colts? Even for a 6th or 7th round pick? He’s not very good IMO, but they need to dump him, he knows Reich’s offense & the Colts need someone to hold that spot if Wentz can come back 

I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the Colts know Wentz will collapse into himself like a dying star and form a black hole if that were to happen.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Talk about damaged goods...

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Carson Wentz will have surgery to remove a piece of broken bone and miss 5-12 weeks, according to coach Frank Reich.

Reich said Wentz likely suffered a broken foot in high school without realizing it and, over the course of time, the piece bone came loose during Thursday's practice, causing pain.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2021/08/02/carson-wentz-foot-injury-indianapolis-colts-quarterback/5455841001/

Edited by EaglesRocker97

2 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

puts them in a weird position, do you really sacrifice more capital to trade for another QB? Take on another QB salary? I’ve seen plenty of jimmy G and foles suggestions that I just can’t see happening 

JMO, I don't think so.

They start the season on 9/12. Assuming he undergoes surgery in the next day or two, that's about 6 weeks. He may only miss a couple games if recovery/rehab goes well.

2 minutes ago, The G Man said:

JMO, I don't think so.

They start the season on 9/12. Assuming he undergoes surgery in the next day or two, that's about 6 weeks. He may only miss a couple games if recovery/rehab goes well.

Similar timeline to the MT recovery. Anything from just a few games, to see you on Halloween. 

The interesting question here is what the Colts do in the meantime. Losing 3 or 4 games early in the season could be the difference between making the playoffs or not. Do they give up more assets to trade for another QB or do they pray for the best with what they have?

40 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Similar timeline to the MT recovery. Anything from just a few games, to see you on Halloween. 

The interesting question here is what the Colts do in the meantime. Losing 3 or 4 games early in the season could be the difference between making the playoffs or not. Do they give up more assets to trade for another QB or do they pray for the best with what they have?

They got enough defense/running game to win a game or two while they wait