NBC Sports Edge Forums

Dennis Smith Jr. 2020-2021 Outlook

47 minutes ago, cujosevic said:

DSJ is by no means a pick up at the moment, but not sure why some people are talking like he's some washed up trash. He's only in his 5th year and injuries have really hindered him the last couple of years.

He was actually quite a decent fantasy player in his rookie year for a crappy Mavericks teams, averaging 15pts, 5ast, 3reb, 1stl and 1.5 3pm in 69 games. Got off to a slow start in his sophomore year and got traded to NY, and it just went downhill from there. The Knicks certainly doesn't have a good track record of developing young players, so maybe he can replicate the success he had in Dallas.

I have the same inisght. He's not trash because he is trash. He's trash because he hasn't gotten that much opportunities since Dallas.

He had an ok rookie year but failed to blend with Luka after. They clashed many times during that season. The Mavs saw that they had to give everything to Luka, so they shipped him out, not to mention they'll be getting Kristaps in return.

From a fantasy perspective, DSJ can give us the production if he is given the minutes, no doubt it. I'm not going to expect too much but he has elite STLs potential and can give borderline PTS and AST. The only big question here is does Casey want to play guys like him? A lot of athleticism but the basketball iq is so-so.

To put some context, I made sure I grabbed him in 16-team league or deeper.

Edited by wisegeeks
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I see all the hate, but where's all the love?  Three solid games in a row with great efficienty. Granted he's getting it done without Wright, but his play deserves some recognition.

Back in the day I would have ran to the waivers, but nah... Dennis Smith is NOT it. 

Dennis Smith is hot dog water garbage. 

On 2/7/2021 at 1:43 PM, samatz82 said:

They were comparing him as the next lillard when got drafted by Dallas. Really sad his career went down when dallas drafted doncic. I hope he can relieve his career in detroit. 

And Al Jefferson once compared Johnny Flynn to CP3 😂 Having potential is one thing but fulfilling it is another. 

• Like 1

Even if he were to get 25 mins per game I don't see him doing anymore than 10 PPG on 39% FG 66%FT and 1.3 stls. 0.8 trey. 4 assists. 3.5 TO.  It's a low risk move for the Pistons but overall I'm sure it was more about getting a 2nd round pick for Rose than it was snagging DSJ from the Knicks. 

On 2/8/2021 at 7:34 PM, Austin_Rivers said:

Even if he were to get 25 mins per game I don't see him doing anymore than 10 PPG on 39% FG 66%FT and 1.3 stls. 0.8 trey. 4 assists. 3.5 TO.  It's a low risk move for the Pistons but overall I'm sure it was more about getting a 2nd round pick for Rose than it was snagging DSJ from the Knicks. 

yeah he's just flat out not a good player. he might get you popcorn stats but there's no upside here. he's gonna kill your percentages and TOs

Based on how Casey has handled other young, talented outcasts, DSJ doesn’t have a chance. He’d rather develop Wayne Ellington and Blake Griffin than give heavy minutes to their rookie and 2nd year 1st round picks. 

Actually, DSJ sucks so Casey might play him 34 minutes every night. 

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Lee is better than smith jr...it looks like the usage is going to jackson for now...smith Jr is the only player I've ever seen who walks through plays like he's running through plays in practice...hes more of sg but he's too small and not a good shooter...I was hoping he was the answer for me until wright returns but I dont think so...