NBC Sports Edge Forums

Deshaun Watson 2021 Outlook

2 minutes ago, smeeze said:

It’s not semantics when the 2 expressions mean wildly different things. There have been no charges against him, legally. There are civil suits. The distinction will have a significant impact on his ability to play football next year.

Maybe, but hard to prove in a criminal case since it's she said, he said. However given that a dozen or more women are coming forward with similar stories of over the top sexual advances, I can see the NFL suspending him for the good of the league. This isn't the type of PR the league or it's players want and why the guidelines for behavior came about in the NFL.

• Like 1
  • Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lmao please. It's more like it was kind of obvious that the dude is a ******** sexual predator with the amount of accusations and similar stories from victims that don't know each other. The

No sir, your inability to relate to the possibility of how these masseuses may have felt when being approached by Watson is frightening.   this is a guy with money, power, and fame in a room

I tell both my kids that many people find it hard to say no, especially when they feel they are powerless. I tell my kids to be careful when in a position of power, whether it be rich vs poor, man vs

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, Harold Seattle said:

Maybe, but hard to prove in a criminal case since it's she said, he said. However given that a dozen or more women are coming forward with similar stories of over the top sexual advances, I can see the NFL suspending him for the good of the league. This isn't the type of PR the league or it's players want and why the guidelines for behavior came about in the NFL.

There are dark clouds on the horizon for Watson, and they keep getting darker.

11 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

There are dark clouds on the horizon for Watson, and they keep getting darker.

this came out of nowhere to me. 

I was initially skeptical and now I just feel terrible for everyone involved. It seems everyone loses if these accusations are true.

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

this came out of nowhere to me. 

I was initially skeptical and now I just feel terrible for everyone involved. It seems everyone loses if these accusations are true.

Same. All accounts were high character guy so surprised. Just never know. Still just allegations but not looking too good at his point.

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Watson dynasty owner confirmed.

Not even. If he’s guilty, hopefully he gets some criminal charges too. I just think there’s a significant difference between a civil suit (anyone can file, no evidence required) vs. a criminal charge (state/government agency, lots of evidence required). It’s not “semantics”.

2 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Not even. If he’s guilty, hopefully he gets some criminal charges too. I just think there’s a significant difference between a civil suit (anyone can file, no evidence required) vs. a criminal charge (state/government agency, lots of evidence required). It’s not “semantics”.

When charges are filed against you whether criminal or civil you automatically become the defendant, innocent until proven guilty.

it is appropriate to call a civil suit “charges” even though the punishments are strictly punitive.

18 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

When charges are filed against you whether criminal or civil you automatically become the defendant, innocent until proven guilty.

it is appropriate to call a civil suit “charges” even though the punishments are strictly punitive.

My apologies if that’s the case in the US, but that is absolutely not the case in Canada.

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

DHC, you a lawyer? You sure sound like one.

It's all good if you are, I'm not passin' judgement or anything. I just see you in a much different light than I did before.

• Haha 1

And they all now come out the woodwork.......

What is it with females always waiting until one female speaks up for them all to finally speak up so that they can cash in too? 

1 hour ago, The G Man said:

DHC, you a lawyer? You sure sound like one.

It's all good if you are, I'm not passin' judgement or anything. I just see you in a much different light than I did before.

Lol

I chose a different path but have lawyers in the family so I’ve obviously adapted some of the legal jargon just from the years of being around it.

• Like 1

They say your "Innocent until Proven Guilty" If this is really the case....Can someone explain to me why people are in jail waiting for a trial? 

Its more like your guilty until proven innocent. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SyNdicateZ said:

They say your "Innocent until Proven Guilty" If this is really the case....Can someone explain to me why people are in jail waiting for a trial? 

'Innocent until proven guilty' is basically a legal fiction, especially for poor minorities.  But for the fabulously wealthy, it is closer to reality.  Watson can write a check tomorrow to settle these lawsuits, without admitting any wrongdoing.  I suspect he is reaching into his pants to produce his pen.

• Like 2

I think Houston knew about these incidences and sat on them for Deshaun's sake until he got uppity and they got petty. The attorney being neighbors and friends with the recently deceased former owner is a little too coincidental. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Ok, so you would tell your daughter that if she finds herself in a situation like this, she should go ahead and perform oral sex if/when necessary?

I tell both my kids that many people find it hard to say no, especially when they feel they are powerless. I tell my kids to be careful when in a position of power, whether it be rich vs poor, man vs woman (or vice versa), boss vs employee, big vs small, cultural, any position of power, because it's really easy to put someone in a position where they feel they have no choice.

I tell them to question those in power and respect those without. I tell my kids to do good and speak out against the bad they see, but I also teach them that sometimes there are situations beyond your power, and that can be incredibly frustrating and painful.

But I sure as hell teach both of them to never, NEVER accept victim blaming.

• Like 7

Lot of folks have a hard time knowing when they have stepped past the line for appropriate behavior towards others. Ailes, Cuomo, Antonio Brown and a slew of others and we can add Watson to the list. It reminds me of this:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

"Pre-trial detention" (technically not jail) is reserved for those cases where the risk of either the suspect committing more crimes or fleeing is considered so high that the interests of society weigh against the interests of the individual. 

Technically you're right, and it goes against the presumption of innocence, which is why it should be used sparingly, but of course here we're talking civil case, so here it's (for now) irrelevant.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

I tell both my kids that many people find it hard to say no, especially when they feel they are powerless. I tell my kids to be careful when in a position of power, whether it be rich vs poor, man vs woman (or vice versa), boss vs employee, big vs small, cultural, any position of power, because it's really easy to put someone in a position where they feel they have no choice.

I tell them to question those in power and respect those without. I tell my kids to do good and speak out against the bad they see, but I also teach them that sometimes there are situations beyond your power, and that can be incredibly frustrating and painful.

But I sure as hell teach both of them to never, NEVER accept victim blaming.

It sounds like you’ve done a great job preparing your children for difficult situations like this. How do you think they would handle themselves if a famous, wealthy person tried to force them to perform a sexual favor? What did you tell them to do if they find themselves in a situation like this?

Edited by Lamont Sanford

@BoudewijnNever mind replying, not the place for this conversation. My comments were somehow misinterpreted to be “victim blaming”. Evidently I wasn’t able to find the right words to get my point across properly. The only one to “blame” is the offender, in this case Deshaun Watson.

Though, as you pointed out, and what I was trying to say, was that there are things we can do to better prepare ourselves, and our children to know how to handle themselves in difficult situations like this. Nobody should ever feel forced to perform sexual favors for anyone, regardless of wealth, status, or power, and they obviously don’t have to, despite feeling compelled to. 

The women in our lives need to understand and believe this, and the fathers among us need to do a better job preparing our daughters to handle these situations in a way that prevents them from being victimized. 

That said, I won’t be replying to any further comments on this aspect of the thread as to discontinue the derail. Hopefully my thoughts on the matter have been clarified.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

'Innocent until proven guilty' is basically a legal fiction, especially for poor minorities.  But for the fabulously wealthy, it is closer to reality.  Watson can write a check tomorrow to settle these lawsuits, without admitting any wrongdoing.  I suspect he is reaching into his pants to produce his pen.

Well, if I'm his lawyer I'd tell him to be very careful. Reaching into his pants is what got him into this trouble in the first place.

1 hour ago, The G Man said:

Well, if I'm his lawyer I'd tell him to be very careful. Reaching into his pants is what got him into this trouble in the first place.

I thought I was being so clever with that one but no one seemed to get it.

It seems that, during most of the incidents in question, Watson's accusers say he wasn't wearing any pants or even a towel.

21 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I thought I was being so clever with that one but no one seemed to get it.

It seems that, during most of the incidents in question, Watson's accusers say he wasn't wearing any pants or even a towel.

Touche.