NBC Sports Edge Forums

Deshaun Watson 2021 Outlook

31 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Why should the NFL force or nudge a team to trade a player it doesn’t want to?

To be clear, I don't think the NFL should - I thought it was BS back when the NBA stepped in and vetoed Chris Paul being traded to the Lakers. Just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if they pressured them if things deteriorate to that stage, because they wouldn't want to see a player like Watson sidelined. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lmao please. It's more like it was kind of obvious that the dude is a ******** sexual predator with the amount of accusations and similar stories from victims that don't know each other. The

No sir, your inability to relate to the possibility of how these masseuses may have felt when being approached by Watson is frightening.   this is a guy with money, power, and fame in a room

I tell both my kids that many people find it hard to say no, especially when they feel they are powerless. I tell my kids to be careful when in a position of power, whether it be rich vs poor, man vs

Posted Images

1 hour ago, ajs723 said:

As the poster above said, some teams will drop out,  but some teams are going to miss out on QB in the draft/FA. It would be better to deal him now with more teams bidding, but there will always be a taker for Watson.

It's not a smart move by the Texans, but it's what I expect to happen.

Just not seeing that as a possible scenario. If they don't deal him by the draft, they're in it for the long haul.

League nudging:

I think Roger tried to nudge the league into hiring Kaepernick after the George Floyd protests.  It didn't work.  So I am not sure how much his nudging power Goodell has.  But I agree, having one of your top 5-6 QBs sitting out because the owner and team chaplain of the franchise that holds his contract are stubborn and incompetent dicks?  Not a good look at all for the league.

Trade before the draft:

The Houston Texans are in desperate need of some new, good young players.  Like yesterday.  So landing day 1 caliber draft prospects in the 2021 draft should be job one.  And, as BOB traded away much of their 2021 draft capital in an ultimately fruitless effort to save his own job, trading Watson prior to the 2021 draft so they can add some picks and start their rebuild now would make a ton of sense.

• Like 2
On 2/27/2021 at 1:29 AM, SharkSwimmer said:

League nudging:

I think Roger tried to nudge the league into hiring Kaepernick after the George Floyd protests.  It didn't work.  So I am not sure how much his nudging power Goodell has.  But I agree, having one of your top 5-6 QBs sitting out because the owner and team chaplain of the franchise that holds his contract are stubborn and incompetent dicks?  Not a good look at all for the league.

Trade before the draft:

The Houston Texans are in desperate need of some new, good young players.  Like yesterday.  So landing day 1 caliber draft prospects in the 2021 draft should be job one.  And, as BOB traded away much of their 2021 draft capital in an ultimately fruitless effort to save his own job, trading Watson prior to the 2021 draft so they can add some picks and start their rebuild now would make a ton of sense.

I'll play Devil's advocate and say the Texans need to dig in here. If you're not getting earth shaking offers for one of the league's premier players, let him sit or waive his no trade clause. The NFL has never been a nice business, but it's always been a business and there are a lot of incompetent dicks that have the trust of rich owners.

1 hour ago, Ricky Bobby said:

I'll play Devil's advocate and say the Texans need to dig in here. If you're not getting earth shaking offers for one of the league's premier players, let him sit or waive his no trade clause. The NFL has never been a nice business, but it's always been a business and there are a lot of incompetent dicks that have the trust of rich owners.

How is that a good option for them? That's just being petty and stubborn. The relationship between player and owner appears to bc completely toxic and Watson has made it very clear that he wants nothing to do with them and is prepared to not play another snap for them. The Texans can either be stubborn and not give in, resulting in Watson sitting out and they get nothing in return except the "satisfaction" that they stood their ground and didn't "cave in". OR, they simply understand that the best option is for them to move in now and get SOMETHING in return in order to replenish their depleted roster through the draft. Sure, they "give in" here, but at the end of the day, that's what's better for their team as a whole with regards to improving their team.

All that said, The Houston Texans are extremely incompetent so who knows what they're going to do lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

My theory is that Easterby and Caserio have assured Cal that they have a plan for making Watson happy and getting him to return to the team.

That plan has been to praise Watson in front of the team, tell other teams they will not trade him, and hire a black coach.  They could not hire a real coach like Bienemy or Marvin Lewis because the players might have rallied around the coach and upset the delicately constructed power structure.

So they hire this ambitionless career position coach who happens to be black and a born again Christian.  Culley asked for an in-person meeting because this is the big play--Culley will take to Watson and convince him to stay.

Watson, a class act, took the meeting.  But on Zoom.  And used the opportunity to assure the Texans that their plan had not worked.

Now they are on to Plan B, if they have one.

Edited by SharkSwimmer
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

How is that a good option for them? That's just being petty and stubborn. The relationship between player and owner appears to bc completely toxic and Watson has made it very clear that he wants nothing to do with them and is prepared to not play another snap for them. The Texans can either be stubborn and not give in, resulting in Watson sitting out and they get nothing in return except the "satisfaction" that they stood their ground and didn't "cave in". OR, they simply understand that the best option is for them to move in now and get SOMETHING in return in order to replenish their depleted roster through the draft. Sure, they "give in" here, but at the end of the day, that's what's better for their team as a whole with regards to improving their team.

All that said, The Houston Texans are extremely incompetent so who knows what they're going to do lol.

Lol, it's a business. Nothing petty or stubborn about making an unhappy player waive his no trade clause if the offers aren't satisfactory. Or sit, if he or his agent feels that's a better option.

• Haha 1

I think he was saying the Texans are being stubborn and petty by not trading Watson. 

The Texans seem to believe that, if they dig in, Watson will eventually relent rather than lose all that money.

Perhaps they are correct.  It seems unlikely, but perhaps.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I think he was saying the Texans are being stubborn and petty by not trading Watson. 

The Texans seem to believe that, if they dig in, Watson will eventually relent rather than lose all that money.

Perhaps they are correct.  It seems unlikely, but perhaps.

Call his bluff if you're the Texans if you don't get a satisfactory offer. When I say a satisfactory offer, I mean the farm.

2 hours ago, Ricky Bobby said:

Call his bluff if you're the Texans if you don't get a satisfactory offer. When I say a satisfactory offer, I mean the farm.

Then Houston wins! Nothing like forcing someone who hates you to reluctantly stick around just so you can prove a point and not "give in". Ah, the high road.

2 hours ago, Ricky Bobby said:

Play and not lose 20 + million would be the sensible route IMO.

• Like 1

I honestly don’t understand why Houston wouldn’t trade him if they get an acceptable offer.   Exhausted BOB already got rid of so many draft picks, they will continue to be terrible with or without Watson.  With the current roster and no draft picks, they can keep Watson and hope to go 8 and 8 (if they catch lightening in a bottle) or they can get a good haul for Watson now and get a jump on rebuilding.

I understand a qb this good doesn’t come around often, but forcing a disgruntled player to stay when you have no reasonable chance to compete for a super bowl seems foolish.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, Loadedbrewer said:

I honestly don’t understand why Houston wouldn’t trade him if they get an acceptable offer.   Exhausted BOB already got rid of so many draft picks, they will continue to be terrible with or without Watson.  With the current roster and no draft picks, they can keep Watson and hope to go 8 and 8 (if they catch lightening in a bottle) or they can get a good haul for Watson now and get a jump on rebuilding.

I understand a qb this good doesn’t come around often, but forcing a disgruntled player to stay when you have no reasonable chance to compete for a super bowl seems foolish.

Foolish you say?

dumb.jpg

• Haha 3

You know Easterby is praying really hard these days.

Not that there is anything wrong with praying.  It seems that Easterby is a rock solid team chaplain.

The problem is he is being asked to do more than he is qualified to do.

17 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

Then Houston wins! Nothing like forcing someone who hates you to reluctantly stick around just so you can prove a point and not "give in". Ah, the high road.

That's the business in a nutshell kid. Get the best deal you can, using every tool in your toolbox. He didn't hate them when he signed that massive deal lol.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Loadedbrewer said:

They absolutely should if they get an acceptable offer. I don't feel they should let the media decide what an acceptable offer is though. That's for Houston to decide, and I don't think they should let a player hold them for ransom. What's an acceptable offer for your franchise player and will they get that offer with the player limiting his destinations? For the record, I am far from a Texans fan.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

The problem is that the price will keep going down and down and down as we pass through free agency, then the draft, then the regular season.

This same team waited too long to trade Jadeveon Clowney, and eventually had to trade him to Seattle for a bag of footballs and a partially-eaten ham sandwich.

The Texans do not want to trade Watson at all, of course.  But if Watson is genuinely serious about not playing for them, the Texans can sit on his rights indefinitely but it will do their team no good.

4 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The problem is that the price will keep going down and down and down as we pass through free agency, then the draft, then the regular season.

This same team waited too long to trade Jadeveon Clowney, and eventually had to trade him to Seattle for a bag of footballs and a partially-eaten ham sandwich.

The Texans do not want to trade Watson at all, of course.  But if Watson is genuinely serious about not playing for them, the Texans can sit on his rights indefinitely but it will do their team no good.

No it won’t. Not for a player of Watson’s caliber. Clowney is a completely different and unrelated topic. And Clowney has now proven on multiple teams that he isn’t worthy of top tier money.

Texans should hold out for as long as possible on an acceptable offer for a franchise QB. The position is having longer careers than ever before and is the most important position on a team. The NFL is still starved for top tier QB talent and there are at least 10 teams that should be willing to give up the farm to trade for him. Top tier QB talent isn’t suddenly increasing through the college ranks. It continues to be a scarcity which will always keep its value sky high a long with the importance of the position and career longevity.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, devaster said:

No it won’t. Not for a player of Watson’s caliber. Clowney is a completely different and unrelated topic. And Clowney has now proven on multiple teams that he isn’t worthy of top tier money.

Texans should hold out for as long as possible on an acceptable offer for a franchise QB. The position is having longer careers than ever before and is the most important position on a team. The NFL is still starved for top tier QB talent and there are at least 10 teams that should be willing to give up the farm to trade for him. Top tier QB talent isn’t suddenly increasing through the college ranks. It continues to be a scarcity which will always keep its value sky high a long with the importance of the position and career longevity.

By waiting for as long as possible, several teams will draft a new an and others will invest in other free agents, limiting the teams bidding up the price for Watson.  And if they wait until after the 2021 draft, it is another year they need to wait for the draft picks to start the rebuild.  If they are going to trade him, the best value will come before this year’s draft.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Loadedbrewer said:

By waiting for as long as possible, several teams will draft a new an and others will invest in other free agents, limiting the teams bidding up the price for Watson.  And if they wait until after the 2021 draft, it is another year they need to wait for the draft picks to start the rebuild.  If they are going to trade him, the best value will come before this year’s draft.

I think it's more fluid than you think. Obviously teams looking for a QB have plans to deal with that in the draft. And then some of those teams will be left empty-handed because their draft board went tits up for whatever reason. Of those teams there is possibly a deal that the Texans could go for, because theoretically he is still an option for "someone" at that point.

More deals are available now I agree. Texans FO is so damn dumb they should have made a deal yesterday imo. I'm not advocating incompetence (which is what this is) - just keeping an open mind as to what is possible.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, devaster said:

I agree that Watson is worth quite a lot, no matter when he is traded.  The problem seems to be that the Texans have decided they won't be trading Watson no matter what, since they are not even listening to the offers for him.

If the Texans maintain that position, and Watson maintains his, Watson will not be worth anything to any team, as a football player.

49 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I agree that Watson is worth quite a lot, no matter when he is traded.  The problem seems to be that the Texans have decided they won't be trading Watson no matter what, since they are not even listening to the offers for him.

If the Texans maintain that position, and Watson maintains his, Watson will not be worth anything to any team, as a football player.

Obviously if the Texans want to trade him and Watson is willing there will be plenty of suitors. If they both maintain then he doesn’t play and he has no value anyway. As soon as one of them changes their tune though his value comes back. This isn’t a Bell situation with a RB being 6 years in the league.

The MLB or NBA will trade star players to better teams for peanuts. That rarely happens in the NFL.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Until a team decides that they want to pay an acceptable price for Watson. Doubt the Texans are in a real hurry to compete with the Jags for 3rd in the AFC South. His price only goes down if they give up their leverage, their rebuild speeds up with every loss. I could be wrong and Texans could take an L and move him quick to where he wants to go. Just not really sure why they'd do that when they don't have to.