NBC Sports Edge Forums

Deshaun Watson 2021 Outlook

22 hours ago, Ricky Bobby said:

"You're way too emotional over this. Get it together and realize what business this is you're watching. I guess if you're insulting me by calling me an NFL fan, you'd be right on the money. No need to insult people over an opinion."

I placed your perspective in the broader context, it was not my intent to offend you. I think I have a strong understanding of how the NFL is run & the product they put on the field. No one likes the conflicts, the disruptions. But it's the owners system that's at fault here. You go so far as saying you're opposed to the players not honoring their "obligation", again, which subjects them to this owner lop-sided system. But you're perfectly fine with the owners not honoring their end. 

My point isn't that the owners should have to, but rather the players shouldn't either. You're conditioned to believe the NFL Draft is in everybody's interest, including the player, when it isn't. Instead of resorting to diversion, more interesting would be you defending your position.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lmao please. It's more like it was kind of obvious that the dude is a ******** sexual predator with the amount of accusations and similar stories from victims that don't know each other. The

No sir, your inability to relate to the possibility of how these masseuses may have felt when being approached by Watson is frightening.   this is a guy with money, power, and fame in a room

I tell both my kids that many people find it hard to say no, especially when they feel they are powerless. I tell my kids to be careful when in a position of power, whether it be rich vs poor, man vs

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Harold Seattle said:

Texans going to aim to get as close to the 1.01 as possible for next season. If Watson sits out, even better. Save some cash, better draft position and they can decide what to do with Watson next season. Likely they do trade him next season if they can land a franchise type QB in the draft. Also they can blame the loses on Watson if he sits.

This season Watson has ruined his trade value and the financial hit is too severe to trade him unless they get a huge haul for him and Watson going public has torpedoed that from happening. So for now Watson is going nowhere.

and a little common sense prevails. Agreed 100%

5 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

I placed your perspective in the broader context, it was not my intent to offend you. I think I have a strong understanding of how the NFL is run & the product they put on the field. No one likes the conflicts, the disruptions. But it's the owners system that's at fault here. You go so far as saying you're opposed to the players not honoring their "obligation", again, which subjects them to this owner lop-sided system. But you're perfectly fine with the owners not honoring their end. 

My point isn't that the owners should have to, but rather the players shouldn't either. You're conditioned to believe the NFL Draft is in everybody's interest, including the player, when it isn't. Instead of resorting to diversion, more interesting would be you defending your position.

I'm not "conditioned" to believe anything. There are a ton of things I don't like about the NFL, the draft is far from the top of my list.

DeShaun signed a contract, he took the money. He was all smiles when he got paid and the Texans made him a very rich man. If her wants to pay a pile back and sit out, that's his choice/option.

Edited by Ricky Bobby
5 minutes ago, Ricky Bobby said:

"I'm not "conditioned" to believe anything. There are a ton of things I don't like about the NFL, the draft is far from the top of my list."

Yes, and it seems at the top of your list, at least presently, are players not obligating their contracts. For the 3rd time, why is it so important to you that the player honor his end but not the owner? 

38 minutes ago, Ricky Bobby said:

and a little common sense prevails. Agreed 100%

What's hysterical is you continue to accuse others of being emotional, criticizing their stance because it differs from yours, and pretending that others are the ones insulting you. In reality, it's very clearly the other way around with your passive aggressive insults towards everyone else with your comments like this where you clearly imply that only those who agree with you are using common sense. Honestly, the only one being overly emotional about this situation is you as you.

Edited by ThreadKiller
1 hour ago, ThreadKiller said:

What's hysterical is you continue to accuse others of being emotional, criticizing their stance because it differs from yours, and pretending that others are the ones insulting you. In reality, it's very clearly the other way around with your passive aggressive insults towards everyone else with your comments like this where you clearly imply that only those who agree with you are using common sense. Honestly, the only one being overly emotional about this situation is you as you.

I'm not criticizing anyone's stance, to each their own. Disagreeing isn't criticizing, I still stand by my statement that some of you are letting emotion get in the way of common sense though. Slanted media coverage tends to do that to people nowadays.

2 hours ago, markrc99 said:

Yes, and it seems at the top of your list, at least presently, are players not obligating their contracts. For the 3rd time, why is it so important to you that the player honor his end but not the owner? 

What is in his contract that the Texans did not honor?

46 minutes ago, Ricky Bobby said:

Valid point. If Watson really wanted that additional responsibility then he should of negotiated for it in his contract. It likely wouldn’t have happened, but he should have at least tried.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, markrc99 said:

While there really isn’t anything in Watson’s contract not being honored, your point can be valid for many owners around the league. However, players k is the guaranteed money in their contracts and that is why they fight and negotiate for that. That is at least the money their contract is worth. So players do know full well how much their contract is worth when they sign it. Owners releasing them early is typically a sign of poor play or past their prime. Happens in real life to us typical workers as well.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Ricky Bobby said:

CALL. HIS. BLUFF.

I don’t think he’s bluffing.  This is beginning to look less like a business decision and more like a game of ultra-high-stakes poker.

2 hours ago, Ricky Bobby said:

Nothing.  But he does not want to play for the Texans any more because he has quite reasonably lost faith in the leadership and direction of the organization.  I believe he has chosen not to play if his only option is to play for the Texans.  

The Texans are shrewdly driving up the price by pretending they won't trade Watson no matter what, or, more likely, they are hoping to force Watson to relent and play for them as it will be Watson's only way to keep his money.

At this point, I predict Watson will not play NFL football in 2021.  I hope I am wrong, because I love watching him play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 3/9/2021 at 4:19 AM, markrc99 said:

If the team decided tomorrow, for whatever reason, they were done with Watson & cut him, fired him, you'd support their right to do so. But if Watson wants to quit his job & go work for someone else, you have an issue... yeah, that's the head wash, the mandatory thought. It's about control, exclusive control. Without it, you don't have monopoly, you don't have much of a league, you don't even have a draft. 

To be fair... In a lot of professions and industries you can't just quit your job and take the same position at a competitor. Watson has every right to take a break from football and work at Mcdonald's until his contract runs out. Texans have every right to make him honor his contract even if that means losing him for the year without any return (on-field play, or capital)

Both decisions of course would be stupid, but to say one is right and one is wrong is also stupid.    

Edited by HotTake
3 hours ago, Ricky Bobby said:

I'm not criticizing anyone's stance, to each their own. Disagreeing isn't criticizing, I still stand by my statement that some of you are letting emotion get in the way of common sense though. Slanted media coverage tends to do that to people nowadays.

Who said disagreeing is criticizing though? What IS in fact criticizing is the act of pointing out to someone who agrees with you that they're the one using common sense. It's a clear passive aggressive dig implying that those who don't agree with you are not using common sense. You knew exactly what you're doing...

I'll stand firm in my opinion that you (and you alone) are the one in this thread thinking with emotion and criticizing anyone who disagrees with you (questioning someones intelligence, etc counts as criticism).

Houston is a terribly run organization. That much is clear to most.

• Like 3
57 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Nothing.  But he does not want to play for the Texans any more because he has quite reasonably lost faith in the leadership and direction of the organization.  I believe he has chosen not to play if his only option is to play for the Texans.  

The Texans are shrewdly driving up the price by pretending they won't trade Watson no matter what, or, more likely, they are hoping to force Watson to relent and play for them as it will be Watson's only way to keep his money.

At this point, I predict Watson will not play NFL football in 2021.  I hope I am wrong, because I love watching him play.

I agree that that's a very likely option...The Texans don't seem intelligent enough to maximize a return for him while they can and instead plan to dig in to keep their pride. Meanwhile, they're likely underestimating Watson not wanting to every play a snap for them again. I truly think he's more likely to sit out than to play for them again.

It's a unique situation and the best thing for the franchise is to move on and trade him to the highest bidder so they can move on and attempt to rebuild a team that very much needs an influx of talent on both sides of the ball.

• Like 1

If the Texans are taking this move by Watson as a challenge to their organizational credibility that they cannot back down from, this thing could get pretty ugly quickly.

• Like 2

How is Watson thought of by the fan base? Guessing he's well liked? That the vast majority of the Texans faithful like him and want him to be their QB now and moving forward? Assuming that's the case, that really puts the Texans FO in a no win situation. If they tow the party line and Watson sits, the fans will be pissed. If they cave in a trade him, the fans will be pissed. This side of an Oprah/Dr. Phil level interview/intervention, I think they're only option is to try and get a kings ransom in return, and also some how find a quality replacement QB. Stating the obvious here of course, but the longer it plays out the less and less likely they achieve that IMO.

• Like 1

A friend of mine who is a Texans season ticket holder is resigned to the idea that Watson is done in Houston, and he fully blames the botched management. I'm sure there are people on the other side as well (I'd imagine the school principal who made racist Facebook posts about Watson sides with ownership), so no matter what they do, people are going to be unhappy.

The sooner it comes to a conclusion, the better it is for both sides but that seems to be an unlikely outcome so it's going to end up as a lose/lose.

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, HotTake said:

To be fair... In a lot of professions and industries you can't just quit your job and take the same position at a competitor. Watson has every right to take a break from football and work at Mcdonald's until his contract runs out. Texans have every right to make him honor his contract even if that means losing him for the year without any return (on-field play, or capital)

Both decisions of course would be stupid, but to say one is right and one is wrong is also stupid.    

Not sure where you are from, but you can quit one job to take the same spot at a competitor in the VAST majority of professions/industries in the US.  

• Like 2
17 hours ago, devaster said:

"While there really isn’t anything in Watson’s contract not being honored, your point can be valid for many owners around the league. ... Owners releasing [players] early is typically a sign of poor play or past their prime. Happens in real life to us typical workers as well."

With respect to the initial part of your comment, that wasn't my point & I believe Ricky knows that. Given that he can't address the point, he's resorted to diversions. I never said that the organization hadn't met their obligation to this point. Ricky mentioned that he had a problem with players not honoring their contract. Owners tear up contracts all the time, it's okay for them to do it. I support their right to do that. But I disagree that the player should be bound by something they're not. Neither Ricky or anyone like-minded has clarified why it's okay for ownership to renege on a deal, but not the player. 

These fights are the product of the system, of which the owners are exclusively responsible for. Deshaun Watson has greatly helped the Texans organization, all he wants is to go play for someone else. He just wants to do the same thing Carson Wentz did, same thing Matthew Stafford did... but no, for Watson it's something completely different.      

20 hours ago, BMcP said:

I don’t think he’s bluffing.  This is beginning to look less like a business decision and more like a game of ultra-high-stakes poker.

Then he's playing chicken with an organization that's just been dragged mercilessly  for losing one of their top assets and has nothing to lose. Or are you saying that DeShaun will just retire if he's not dealt? I disagree wholeheartedly if that's your argument.

The Texans now have Crennel in an advisory role, Lovie Smith as Associate Head Coach, Pep Hamilton on the offensive staff along with new HC David Culley.

That's a diverse group for sure, but those are all retread coaches likely on their last chance or beyond.  I doubt any of those coaches had other attractive options to choose from.

So far, adding these guys to the Texans' coaching staff has not persuaded Watson to change his mind about wanting out.  I wonder how much their hiring was about enticing Watson back.

9 minutes ago, Ricky Bobby said:

Then he's playing chicken with an organization that's just been dragged mercilessly  for losing one of their top assets and has nothing to lose. Or are you saying that DeShaun will just retire if he's not dealt? I disagree wholeheartedly if that's your argument.

Well the Texans have floated the story that they would prefer to let Watson sit out for all of 2021 rather than trade him.  Because that will show him, I guess.  Then perhaps we will meet back here prior to the 2022 season, and do this all over again.

19 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

Who said disagreeing is criticizing though? What IS in fact criticizing is the act of pointing out to someone who agrees with you that they're the one using common sense. It's a clear passive aggressive dig implying that those who don't agree with you are not using common sense. You knew exactly what you're doing...

I'll stand firm in my opinion that you (and you alone) are the one in this thread thinking with emotion and criticizing anyone who disagrees with you (questioning someones intelligence, etc counts as criticism).

Houston is a terribly run organization. That much is clear to most.

Lol, so is Jacksonville but the top prospect on the planet is about to be drafted there and not a peep out of him, you or the media. I hear the Jets are a bit of a **** show too. Yet, he's ok to go there? you tell me how I'm emotionally invested, because the only thing bothering me in this thread are your posts.

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Ricky Bobby said:

Lol, so is Jacksonville but the top prospect on the planet is about to be drafted there and not a peep out of him, you or the media. I hear the Jets are a bit of a **** show too. Yet, he's ok to go there? you tell me how I'm emotionally invested, because the only thing bothering me in this thread are your posts.

Whoopsie! I must not have emailed you my thoughts on a separate topic such as the Jaguars, Jets, etc. I'll make sure to do that next time so you know my thoughts/opinions on those things!

I'm not emotionally invested whatsoever in my opinion on the Watson/Houston debacle. I'm simply just pointing out that you clearly are and your insults towards others over it backs that up. The reason for my pointing that out is because you thought it necessary to claim everyone else but you is being emotional about it and not using common sense.

Edited by ThreadKiller
19 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

I agree that that's a very likely option...The Texans don't seem intelligent enough to maximize a return for him while they can and instead plan to dig in to keep their pride. Meanwhile, they're likely underestimating Watson not wanting to every play a snap for them again. I truly think he's more likely to sit out than to play for them again.

It's a unique situation and the best thing for the franchise is to move on and trade him to the highest bidder so they can move on and attempt to rebuild a team that very much needs an influx of talent on both sides of the ball.

They'll get what they deem is fair when they decide it's the time to deal him. If he decides to sit and throw away millions, they'll get a better handle on what they can get for him next year IMO.