NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Derrick Henry 2021 Outlook

2 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Problem is Henry can’t consistently get yards as a pass catcher. Way too much of his receptions get no yards. Due that inconsistency it’s hard to consistently throw to him. He also can’t run routes so this combined with what I mention above he will he at the bottom of the NFL in terms of receptions no matter what.

Is he underused as a pass catcher? Maybe. However, if he is it’s not much. 

This is the best argument I’ve heard for not using him in the pass game.. I can understand this one more than the “he just can’t catch” argument. 

8 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

lol, 2 or 3 of his screens have gone 70+ yards for a TD. 

we can go over it again for those that are new to the Derrick Henry thread….

Henry is not Darren Sproles or Alvin Kamara or any other shifty pass catching back so he won’t catch 60 passes, he won’t run wheel routes or technical WR routes but he could run plenty of screens and dump offs and it is an underutilized part of his game. 

for me, personally, if I were to coach football, I would want 2-3 opportunities a game for one of these:

Man, get out of here with that stuff. This is not the real world, this is the land of make believe (i.e. fantasy)! In our make believe world, he is not getting the catches and never has. 

5 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Problem is Henry can’t consistently get yards as a pass catcher. Way too much of his receptions get no yards. Due that inconsistency it’s hard to consistently throw to him. He also can’t run routes so this combined with what I mention above he will he at the bottom of the NFL in terms of receptions no matter what.

Is he underused as a pass catcher? Maybe. However, if he is it’s not much. 

As stated ad nauseum, Henry will not run advanced WR routes that require sharp cuts or short area quickness. There is, however, plenty of times that he could be used on screens and dump offs and mis-direction plays where you get Henry the ball in space. 

Henry averages 9.1 yards per reception for his career when given the opportunity. It seems a bit disingenuous to say that a guy who leads the NFL for 2 straight seasons in broken tackles gets no yards on his reception opportunities.  Plenty of RBs have screens get stuffed sometimes and they break some off for long runs, you take the good with the bad in these cases. 

what you don’t want to do, in my opinion, is become predictable when Henry is in the game. 2-3 screen/dump offs per game to the best runner with the football in the world would be plenty to keep the defenses off balance enough not to key in on run vs pass play and that would be approximately 50 or so targets in a season. Factoring in Henry’s career averages he would catch 35-40 of them for 350-400 yards. Nothing earth shattering but would be plenty to make the offense less predictable and more effective.

People who try to use Henry’s lack of receptions as a negative to his fantasy outlook are probably the same people who refused to draft Shaq in fantasy for a decade cause he would hurt your free throw percentage 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

As stated ad nauseum, Henry will not run advanced WR routes that require sharp cuts or short area quickness. There is, however, plenty of times that he could be used on screens and dump offs and mis-direction plays where you get Henry the ball in space. 

Henry averages 9.1 yards per reception for his career when given the opportunity. It seems a bit disingenuous to say that a guy who leads the NFL for 2 straight seasons in broken tackles gets no yards on his reception opportunities.  Plenty of RBs have screens get stuffed sometimes and they break some off for long runs, you take the good with the bad in these cases. 

what you don’t want to do, in my opinion, is become predictable when Henry is in the game. 2-3 screen/dump offs per game to the best runner with the football in the world would be plenty to keep the defenses off balance enough not to key in on run vs pass play and that would be approximately 50 or so targets in a season. Factoring in Henry’s career averages he would catch 35-40 of them for 350-400 yards. Nothing earth shattering but would be plenty to make the offense less predictable and more effective.

People who try to use Henry’s lack of receptions as a negative to his fantasy outlook are probably the same people who refused to draft Shaq in fantasy for a decade cause he would hurt your free throw percentage 😂

The bulk of the post is on target but Henry lacking receptions is a negative regardless of how you spin it. Catches are worth more than rushes and the 2 guys being picked in front of Henry are there because of the increased, in CMC's case massively increased, receiving work and upside they offer over Henry 

6 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I never said he gets no yards. I said he’s extremely inconsistent. A lot of his receptions go for negative yards or very little. Not what you want when you are throwing the ball. You also have to factor in one reason he can get those long TDs is because the defense doesn’t plan for him to catches passes (because he doesn’t).

The reality is big RBs that aren’t agile or quick AND can’t run routes aren’t going to be useful in the pass game. They just aren’t. Maybe 1 or 2 more targets a game helps and it would boost his fantasy stats for sure but we are yet to see it.

Also the Shaq comparison doesn’t make sense. In fantasy basketball you can punt categories and when you have 7-9 categories being bad at one isn’t a big deal. Or if you play points Shaq made up for it with everything else. @FFCollusion already showed how Henry can’t make that gap up like some other guys. In fantasy football receptions are just another asset to get more points and Henry basically doesn’t have it. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, YoungDro said:

The bulk of the post is on target but Henry lacking receptions is a negative regardless of how you spin it. Catches are worth more than rushes and the 2 guys being picked in front of Henry are there because of the increased, in CMC's case massively increased, receiving work and upside they offer over Henry 

thats fine. Henry will never get as many receptions as CMC but he will get hurt less and doesn’t have Chubba Hubbard drafted to play with him and share some of his work.

3 hours ago, Gohawks said:

I never said he gets no yards. I said he’s extremely inconsistent. A lot of his receptions go for negative yards or very little. Not what you want when you are throwing the ball. You also have to factor in one reason he can get those long TDs is because the defense doesn’t plan for him to catches passes (because he doesn’t).

The reality is big RBs that aren’t agile or quick AND can’t run routes aren’t going to be useful in the pass game. They just aren’t. Maybe 1 or 2 more targets a game helps and it would boost his fantasy stats for sure but we are yet to see it.

Also the Shaq comparison doesn’t make sense. In fantasy basketball you can punt categories and when you have 7-9 categories being bad at one isn’t a big deal. Or if you play points Shaq made up for it with everything else. @FFCollusion already showed how Henry can’t make that gap up like some other guys. In fantasy football receptions are just another asset to get more points and Henry basically doesn’t have it. 

“I never said he gets no yards.“

Way too much of his receptions get no yards”

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

This is the best argument I’ve heard for not using him in the pass game.. I can understand this one more than the “he just can’t catch” argument. 

well, it’s just not part of what Tennessee does on offense is an even better argument. 

The Titans had 58 total targets to the RB position as a WHOLE last year. 31 of those went to Henry. Over 1/3 of their RB targets went to King Henry.

juxtapose that with a team like the Colts who had 134 combined targets to their RBs last season. 

throwing the ball to RBs in Tennessee has less to do with Henry’s ability to catch the ball and more to do with that just not being a part of their overall offensive philosophy.

Henry will catch around 75% of the passes thrown to him and is a threat to house it anytime he touches the ball. 

It is an underutilized part of his game and the Titans offense as a whole. IMO.

his size, his talent, I’d want him to have 50-60 targets per season, catch about 40-45 of them for 400-450 yards but Tennessee had 58 total RB passing targets last season. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, cashvillesent said:

Lol Henrys prime (wich is now) is way better than Marshawn Lynch. If Henry continues this pace he will go down as the greatest RB to ever play Football.

This Seattle fan doesnt know wtf hes talking about.

I have absolutely zero clue what Lynch has anything to do with Henry.

Jim Brown was in the NFL for 9 years. He led it in rushing in 8 of those abs TDs in 5. He was also doubling Henry in receptions in a time when throwing was not common. Too old for you? Sanders had 1000 rushing yards every year in the NFL. 10 seasons and led the NFL in rushing in 4 including 2k yards. Still too old for you? LT had 8 seasons in a row with 1k+ rushing yards AND double digit TDs. He also has at least 50 receptions in each of those seasons.

Ignorant comment. In theory sure Henry can go down as the best RB but he’s not even worth mentioning in that conversation and it’s not going to happen. 

What do we know about Tennessee's new offensive coordinator (They have a new one, right)? Do we know if he's going to continue to feed Henry as much as the last guy, or do we think he throws more with Julio and now AJB emerging?

Also, do we know if the offensive line will be a good run blocking line?

1 hour ago, Mustangt125 said:

What do we know about Tennessee's new offensive coordinator (They have a new one, right)? Do we know if he's going to continue to feed Henry as much as the last guy, or do we think he throws more with Julio and now AJB emerging?

Also, do we know if the offensive line will be a good run blocking line?

The new OC was the TEs coach for the last OC if I’m not mistaken. In theory nothing will change, same scheme, same plays, same everything but you got a talent like AJ brown developing and a guy like Julio coming in and I’d imagine it gets difficult to just keep Running your RB to death even if you do have the leagues best RB. The line should get better I think Taylor lewan missed over half of last season and he is a multiple time pro bowler. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Henry being mentioned in the same breath as HOF RBs is appropriate. 

back to back 2K seasons with 3 rushing titles in a row would likely secure his face on the Mount Rushmore of RBs if he were to complete the feat this season.

LT, Sanders, Brown, and Smith, Payton, or Faulk.

Henry isn’t even remotely close to the Mt Rushmore for RBs (let alone GOAT).

If he does it for like 5 more years sure. However we aren’t even close to that point yet so there’s no point. 

5 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

LT, Sanders, Brown, and Smith, Payton, or Faulk.

Henry isn’t even remotely close to the Mt Rushmore for RBs (let alone GOAT).

If he does it for like 5 more years sure. However we aren’t even close to that point yet so there’s no point. 

Yup I love the king. And another 2k rushing yard season gets him in the HOF even with 17 games but he’s got a long way to go before he’s in the goat convo.

3-4 amazing years don’t make a career. Ask priest Holmes and jamaal Charles 

D Henry, you temptress. I dont know how to value him. I used to be all about the big backs. Jerome Bettis and Jamal Lewis types used to carry me to championships just by running over everybody like Henry.. Since then I adapted to PPR and started taking Kamara type guys and his ilk, the guys who could catch AND run. Henry is breaking the new mold though. He don't need no stoopid passes to win fantasy. Where does he go in a half pt PPR league and when does his tank run out? I'm thinking of going beast mode again

Posted (edited)

Back to back 2k yard rushing seasons is unheard of. Leading the league in rushing for 3 straight season is something only Emmit Smith and Jim Brown have done. OJ Simpson won 4 out of 5 rushing titles.

FOR ME, that puts Henry on the Mount Rushmore of RBs. Any disagreements are fine and I welcome them with open arms. Henry already tied Walter Payton’s 99 yard TD run. 

nobody in history has back to back 2k seasons while leading the league in rushing 3 straight seasons. Those things alone would etch Henry’s face on the Mount Rushmore of RBs to me. 

obviously Henry’s career isn’t over and the rest of his story is yet to be written but I think just achieving back to back 2k seasons and leading the league in rushing for 3 straight years is enough to plaster his face on the Rushmore of RBs. Only 2 other RBs have ever done that and they are both on the Mt Rushmore already (Jim Brown and Emmith Smith) and either of them had back to back 2k seasons.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats

6 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Back to back 2k yard rushing seasons is unheard of. Leading the league in rushing for 3 straight season is something only Emmit Smith and Jim Brown have done. OJ Simpson won 4 out of 5 rushing titles.

FOR ME, that puts Henry on the Mount Rushmore of RBs. Any disagreements are fine and I welcome them with open arms. Henry already tied Walter Payton’s 99 yard TD run. 

nobody in history has back to back 2k seasons while leading the league in rushing 3 straight seasons. Those things alone would etch Henry’s face on the Mount Rushmore of RBs to me. 

obviously Henry’s career isn’t over and the rest of his story is yet to be written but I think just achieving back to back 2k seasons and leading the league in rushing for 3 straight years is enough to plaster his face on the Rushmore of RBs. Only 2 other RBs have ever done that and they are both on the Mt Rushmore already (Jim Brown and Emmith Smith) and either of them had back to back 2k seasons.

Dickerson ran for 1800+ yards three time in his career. No other rb did that. 

Edited by ChrisChinMcCaffrey

I understand the concern for 300 carry season but don't forget he was very under utilized in a split backfield his first few years... 110, 176, and 215 carries... Followed by 303 and 376... So really just 2 years of heavy use but he averaged over 5 yards a carry at that volume... 

But the thing is he has the build and the frame to take those carries, he's built for it.

If you look at the game log last year he wasn't worn down the slightest bit, in fact, quite the opposite, he had his best biggest and most productive games later in the year... Week 17 he had 34 carries for 250 yards, 7.4 per, with 5 broken tackles... The final 4 games he ran for 710 yards on 107 carries, 6.6 per... Zero wear, his defenders were worn, not him... And he delivers more punishment to the defenders than they do him.

He's 27 this year and has only 1182 career carries. Elliot is 26 this year has 1413. 

He's 27, shows no signs of wear and only 2 300 carry years... Stop being so sawft, this dude is a beast, he's a real man, and his use is sort of light for his career. 

But if I'm drafting 3-5 you better believe I'm chirping all my league mates before the draft he's overused to try to get him to fall 😂

Edited by StevieStats
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

I understand the concern for 300 carry season but don't forget he was very under utilized in a split backfield his first few years... 110, 176, and 215 carries... Followed by 303 and 376... So really just 2 years of heavy use but he averaged over 5 yards a carry at that volume... 

But the thing is he has the build and the frame to take those carries, he's built for it.

If you look at the game log last year he wasn't worn down the slightest bit, in fact, quite the opposite, he had his best biggest and most productive games later in the year... Week 17 he had 34 carries for 250 yards, 7.4 per, with 5 broken tackles... The final 4 games he ran for 710 yards on 107 carries, 6.6 per... Zero wear, his defenders were worn, not him... And he delivers more punishment to the defenders than they do him.

He's 27 this year and has only 1182 career carries. Elliot is 26 this year has 1413. 

He's 27, shows no signs of wear and only 2 300 carry years... Stop being so sawft, this dude is a beast, he's a real man, and his use is sort of light for his career. 

But if I'm drafting 3-5 you better believe I'm chirping all my league mates before the draft he's overused to try to get him to fall 😂

I love me some King Henry but he ended the year so strong because his schedule was awesome. Henry is great so he's going to feast against s---y run defenses but that's an important factor in his late season surge.