NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Franchy Cordero 2021 Outlook

Franchy probably steps into a strong side platoon in Boston with this trade. Going from San Diego and KC to Boston should be great for him offensively.

Nice flyer for daily lineup leagues. He still has elite tools, just hasn't been able to make consistent contact. Even with his issues, would it truly shock anyone if he was able to go 30 / 15 if given 130 games? 70 grade raw power and speed, so it wouldn't shock me.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sidearmer said:
Franchy probably steps into a strong side platoon in Boston with this trade. Going from San Diego and KC to Boston should be great for him offensively.

Nice flyer for daily lineup leagues. He still has elite tools, just hasn't been able to make consistent contact. Even with his issues, would it truly shock anyone if he was able to go 30 / 15 if given 130 games? 70 grade raw power and speed, so it wouldn't shock me.

Platoon with whom?

According to MLB.com's Mark Feinsand, two rival executives believe the Red Sox will ultimately re-sign free agent outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr.

"It makes too much sense not to happen now," one of those execs told Feinsand, referring to the Wednesday night trade that sent Andrew Benintendi to the Royals. Bradley is the top free agent outfielder left on the open market with spring training set to begin next week. The 30-year-old slashed .283/.364/.450 with seven homers and five steals over 55 games for Boston in 2020 while playing his usual brand of high-level defense.

This could really hurt Franchy's value.  He will most likely be relegated to the bench if they bring in Bradley Jr.

56 minutes ago, damana said:

According to MLB.com's Mark Feinsand, two rival executives believe the Red Sox will ultimately re-sign free agent outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr.

"It makes too much sense not to happen now," one of those execs told Feinsand, referring to the Wednesday night trade that sent Andrew Benintendi to the Royals. Bradley is the top free agent outfielder left on the open market with spring training set to begin next week. The 30-year-old slashed .283/.364/.450 with seven homers and five steals over 55 games for Boston in 2020 while playing his usual brand of high-level defense.

This could really hurt Franchy's value.  He will most likely be relegated to the bench if they bring in Bradley Jr.

Why?  Benintendi played LF which would be where Franchy would play.  If JBJ comes back he just blocks Jarran Duran from coming up early.

15 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Why?  Benintendi played LF which would be where Franchy would play.  If JBJ comes back he just blocks Jarran Duran from coming up early.

Their OF as of now is Renfroe in RF, Verdugo in CF, and Cordero in LF.  I would imagine if they sign Bradley, he would play CF and Verdugo would move to LF, moving Cordero to the bench.  I think Renfroe might sit against some tough RHP but I don't think they are paying him 3.1 million to sit on the bench.  I hope I'm wrong as I love Cordero's upside and ADP.  Best case scenario is they pass on Bradley totally.

5 hours ago, damana said:

Their OF as of now is Renfroe in RF, Verdugo in CF, and Cordero in LF.  I would imagine if they sign Bradley, he would play CF and Verdugo would move to LF, moving Cordero to the bench.  I think Renfroe might sit against some tough RHP but I don't think they are paying him 3.1 million to sit on the bench.  I hope I'm wrong as I love Cordero's upside and ADP.  Best case scenario is they pass on Bradley totally.

I think Verdugo will play RF.  He has the arm the like not seen in Fenway's RF since the days of Dwight Evans.  RF is definitely the hardest field to play in Fenway and he has shown already he has the chops to play it well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I think Verdugo will play RF.  He has the arm the like not seen in Fenway's RF since the days of Dwight Evans.  RF is definitely the hardest field to play in Fenway and he has shown already he has the chops to play it well.

Well a wrench just got thrown in the situation with the signing of Marwin Gonzalez. He will definitely eat into playing time. Depending on any injuries I am probably back to a wait and see approach to see if any injuries pop up to open playing time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, I was wrong on Kris Benson said:

Now that we're close to the season, do some of you anticipate he'll be pretty much full time in the OF or platoon? 

It's hard to imagine he won't primarily platoon, at first.  Whether they platoon or not, he's definitely platooning for my team.

Since the Red Sox are ostensibly rebuilding, it would make sense to at least give Franchy some shots at lefties to see what he can do ... has he even had a regular season at-bat against a southpaw since, like 2018?

12 minutes ago, Overlord said:

It's hard to imagine he won't primarily platoon, at first.  Whether they platoon or not, he's definitely platooning for my team.

Since the Red Sox are ostensibly rebuilding, it would make sense to at least give Franchy some shots at lefties to see what he can do ... has he even had a regular season at-bat against a southpaw since, like 2018?

I'm this desperate for an OF from the wire (very deep league I'm in)

They should give him a few months to sink or swim, at least

5 hours ago, I was wrong on Kris Benson said:

I'm this desperate for an OF from the wire (very deep league I'm in)

They should give him a few months to sink or swim, at least

A lot has to do with how Hunter Renfroe does too.  They will basically be competitors for ABs once Jarren Duran is called up to take over centerfield.  Right now Duran's bat is plenty ready but he needs more work on his defense.  Also hold them down for a month or so to gain that extra year.  But he should be up sooner than later then it is who auditioned the strongest between Franchy and Hunter in the first month that could spell the difference between whether one or the other becomes full time or they platoon.  Or Marvin Gonzales doesn't sneak in and steal away some time.  Or even Michael Chavis.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5catstud said:

Apparently he’s been smoking the ball. Anyone else been watching his ST ABs?

Cora has him focusing on solid contact and he's been looking comfy at the plate so far..I'm monitoring him for sure.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GratefulPhan said:

Cora has him focusing on solid contact and he's been looking comfy at the plate so far..I'm monitoring him for sure.

Cora is outstanding at helping hitters with pitch recognition. Works wonders.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, StevieStats said:

Cora is outstanding at helping hitters with pitch recognition. Works wonders.

Yup, he sure is.  He bangs the trash can once so they "recognize" a fastball is coming, and bangs it twice to help "recognize" the pitch will be offspeed.

🤣

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/10/2021 at 10:05 PM, street sharks said:

Do the Red Sox not realize Marwin can play 1st? There's no reason they shouldn't have Marwin rotating with Dalbec at first to give him and Cordero more time. Dalbec sucks

Interestingly Franchy mainly played 1st in AAA