NBC Sports Edge Forums

What do we have here?  A number 3 prospect on the yankees, not incredibly far away from the majors?

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/top-48-prospects-new-york-yankees/

Last year, Peraza emerged from a group of prospects I had initially evaluated as likely utility or second division regular types. He added strength to a contact/defense foundation and his exit velocities moved very close to major league average, which was impressive for a 19-year-old. Peraza got some reps early during big league spring training before heading home for the summer. He then played sparingly for Cardenales de Lara in the Venezuelan Winter League. There he showed a modified stance and hand set-up, but he played so little that it’s hard to say how it might impact his quality of contact without more looks and/or data to support it. I do think he’d benefit from taking a longer stride, though. Either way, this is a contact-oriented shortstop who’ll likely be an above-average defender, maybe better than that. I have conviction in the hit tool due to Peraza’s curt, short swing, his visible barrel control and his track record of hitting as a young-for-the-level player so far. He may only ever hit for doubles power but on a good-gloved shortstop, that’s an everyday player. (Venezuelan Winter League)

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/oswald-peraza-s-power-grows-despite-lost-season/

"“A big focus for him has just been keeping the ball off the ground and seeing as many breaking balls as possible,” Lawson said of Peraza, whose exit velocity has touched 110 mph."

I know we don't care about defense here on EDGE FORUMS, but it helps him get into the lineup.

His profile surely reminds me of someone

(Lindor 1 year older below)

cx8JyAg.png

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

top 100 fantasy prospect, good hit tool, good defense , good stolen bases, the power seems to come along. If the power ticks up to a 50, he’s probably much better than top 100.

• Like 2

Do you hear that sound? That's the sound of the Oswald Peraza hype train and it's LOUD..

Don't want to put a # on where he should be ranked, but he was somewhere between 100-200 before this season, and I'd say it's soaring.

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I’d try to make a trade but probably drop Pena. 

You can try to make a trade and it's nice when you can pull it off but the simple fact is someone can pickup that hot find while you wait for someone to accept that offer if only they do accept it.

It's best to just to drop Pena and hope he goes unnoticed long enough to get him back.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
On 2/11/2021 at 12:59 PM, brockpapersizer said:

cx8JyAg.png

So I mean I said  he had Lindor upside and still dod. Often with prospects, or even players, you look at the one thing that's keeping them from being someone really good. Sometimes it's an extra pitch, sometimes it's velo, sometimes its playable defense to warrant a spot on the field.  In Oswald Peraza's case, I think the grades above obviously show one area that he needed to improve in to be special. It's the same one was Linddor did.

dot dot dot

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He has been promoted to double A. If he does well there too not crazy to expect a late season call up. Interested to see if power starts showing up more consistently because outside of that 3 game stretch he hasn’t homered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m curious to see how he does with SB at AA. The A-ball leagues have been testing rules where pitchers have to step all the way off the rubber to go for a pickoff, and he’s just running wild. If he can keep stealing with ease at AA that would be exciting.

14 hours ago, Brujan said:

He has been promoted to double A. If he does well there too not crazy to expect a late season call up. Interested to see if power starts showing up more consistently because outside of that 3 game stretch he hasn’t homered.

10 doubles in 111 AB. Compared to 9 in 2018 and 2019 combined (402 AB). 20 years old, the power is developing.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, C_McGillicuddy said:

Likes the left field porch, this guy 

Good to see, but man was that slow pitch. If he can show some power in AA, giddy up, quite easily a top 50 fantasy prospect.  Big test for him.  Even if the power isn't significant, he's good enough to matter.  That being said, an average power grade on him would go a very long way with his speed and defense.  This a potential Lindor type asset if it all goes right. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, fbplayer03 said:

Will he be up to start the year next year?  Will he get full pt? Starts the season with the big club to start the year? I'm liking this guy but afraid on pt. 

It's pretty rare for players to debut in the majors opening day. 

Either they trade him away this year for upgrade at MLB level, or he gets the pathway to SS since Torres clearly cannot handle the position and the plate at the same time.  Either way its probably a mid-2022 debut at best

• 3 weeks later...

So it could be nothing but I'm very concerned about his low fly ball rate and to top it off when he does hit a fly ball almost 20% to 30% are infield flys.

Edited by Dirtywater97