Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Isaiah Stewart 2020-2021 Outlook


Recommended Posts

One last important note for Dynasty. 

If you have him and you don't believe in him, you're obviously not cutting him right now while he's going off unless you're in a really shallow. Hype him in your league and then flip him in the off-season. You may regret it later but if you're right and the Detroit Pistons don't value hard workingtough as nails centers who defend, who hit the glass hard and who can knock down outside shots then bravo on selling high.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I play in a league which allows for 1 keeper, and we have to have drafted that player as a rookie. For the last seven years Giannis has been my keeper, but I traded him away this season. I took one lo

I'm gonna staple this guys jersey to my chest 

2 hours ago, FroButtons said:

Somebody dropped him in our dynasty league Friday morning (before his 3 game double double stretch) and I absolutely JUMPED on him. What does everyone think his long ("LONG") term value is? I've read a lot about how his game isn't modern NBA friendly or his lack of explosiveness will be a hindrance. But he just seems like he can GET THE JOB DONE. And he's definitely added some things to his game in just his first season as a 19 year old. The 3 ball seems to be a work in progress, but a legit aspect of his game I can see developing well. Is he more of a Bam Adebayo/Nikola Jokic (not in skillset, but in terms of them "not fitting" the mold, but still performing well) or is he more of a Ante Zizic, where he looks good in stints, but ultimately his limitations catch up to him over the course of a season? Thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.

Kudos to those who grabbed him. If he continues playing well, it is the gravy needed for playoffs. I couldn't decide between him and Gafford .... and went with Gafford lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good takes. Appreciate the input.

 

I actually do like him a lot and think he can be a very good center in this league for a long time. I envision him with a Nurkic type of ceiling, but with more defensive stats on paper. (I only use Bam/Jokic as examples because they were both thought of as "not fitting," but completely managed to change the mold of what a center could be and what they could do). And as has been mentioned, I think him being a 19 year old rookie and already starting to diversify his game speaks volumes. Given his seeming work ethic, I think he'll be able to add wrinkles to his game and really fly past the ceiling he was given pre-draft and early season.

 

But, as a dynasty player, I've also fallen in the trap of falling in love with guys that have obvious flaws. I for one, was certain Zubac was the next big thing at center. Could score, rebound, shoot FT, block shots, pass well. He had it all. And he's clearly a NBA quality player and will have a role/career for a while, but I thought he was going to be a STUD.

 

I was just curious of what other people outside of myself saw in Stew. I am actually quite surprised his blocking has translated as well as it has. He is undersized, but makes up for it in wingspan, but he does lack the verticality of a Bam in my opinion. But his blocks seem to be legit. While not SUPER explosive, he does get off the ground quickly, good timing, and even though he doesn't jump as high, his arms more than make up for it. I also think the 3 ball will ultimately prove to be real. He has good form as seen by his college FT%. He had a nice little mid range jump shot last night that I think will eventually work into his game as well. A walking double double with both good shooting percentages, a major plus in blocks, and a sprinkle of 3s is a very valuable fantasy piece in my opinion.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rob0403 said:

Gafford might be good. It's a lot lower chance of that happening though since he couldn't do anything as a starter in CHI

Already dropped Gafford after one game with news of LaMelo returning in 7-10 days. 

I now have LaVine, Holmes, Mitchell and LaMelo on IR. Playing one of the worse teams in final week of season and facing 8th seed on first playoff round next week. I think it was worth the risk to add LaMelo and lose a roster spot as my team should be able to advance further with good chance of all those on IR returning for second playoff round. Fingers crossed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FroButtons said:

Good takes. Appreciate the input.

 

I actually do like him a lot and think he can be a very good center in this league for a long time. I envision him with a Nurkic type of ceiling, but with more defensive stats on paper. (I only use Bam/Jokic as examples because they were both thought of as "not fitting," but completely managed to change the mold of what a center could be and what they could do). And as has been mentioned, I think him being a 19 year old rookie and already starting to diversify his game speaks volumes. Given his seeming work ethic, I think he'll be able to add wrinkles to his game and really fly past the ceiling he was given pre-draft and early season.

 

But, as a dynasty player, I've also fallen in the trap of falling in love with guys that have obvious flaws. I for one, was certain Zubac was the next big thing at center. Could score, rebound, shoot FT, block shots, pass well. He had it all. And he's clearly a NBA quality player and will have a role/career for a while, but I thought he was going to be a STUD.

 

I was just curious of what other people outside of myself saw in Stew. I am actually quite surprised his blocking has translated as well as it has. He is undersized, but makes up for it in wingspan, but he does lack the verticality of a Bam in my opinion. But his blocks seem to be legit. While not SUPER explosive, he does get off the ground quickly, good timing, and even though he doesn't jump as high, his arms more than make up for it. I also think the 3 ball will ultimately prove to be real. He has good form as seen by his college FT%. He had a nice little mid range jump shot last night that I think will eventually work into his game as well. A walking double double with both good shooting percentages, a major plus in blocks, and a sprinkle of 3s is a very valuable fantasy piece in my opinion.

I liked Zubac but it was kind of a wait and see situation for him. His type of big was just starting to go out of style and the Lakers didn't seemed to be committed to him. Just not as mobile as the next generation big was supposed to be. Teams want to defend the 3pt line as much as the rim.

Det acquired Stew in a trade and they probably want to save face by showing he was worth any amount of value from trading Christian Wood. Has potential to defend both the perimeter and the rim.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rob0403 said:

I liked Zubac but it was kind of a wait and see situation for him. His type of big was just starting to go out of style and the Lakers didn't seemed to be committed to him. Just not as mobile as the next generation big was supposed to be. Teams want to defend the 3pt line as much as the rim.

Det acquired Stew in a trade and they probably want to save face by showing he was worth any amount of value from trading Christian Wood. Has potential to defend both the perimeter and the rim.

 

Or maybe they could no longer ignore the fact that every time they gave him a good run he posted an outstanding showing.

Players come, players go. This one happens to be promising and if he weren't good he couldn't help anyone save face. He has the third highest PER on the team, the third highest defensive win share and the second highest offensive win share. Volume can't hide a bad player in advanced stats.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Spyplane said:

Or maybe they could no longer ignore the fact that every time they gave him a good run he posted an outstanding showing.

Players come, players go. This one happens to be promising and if he weren't good he couldn't help anyone save face. He has the third highest PER on the team, the third highest defensive win share and the second highest offensive win share. Volume can't hide a bad player in advanced stats.

 

Yea when he was starting beginning of the year, he was a bit overmatched. He worked on his strengths and it is starting to show. I don't think the PER is a fluke.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, kobebryant24 said:

Off the bench today... is he a drop?

i think it might just a bit up and down for the next week. i imagine they're playing plum more today & freshening stewart up a bit as hell prob start and play big mins tomorrow & plum will rest again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sld12 said:

I say this as both a Pistons fan and someone that has Stewart on my fantasy team: Casey is the worst thing for the Pistons right now.

i mean... I would bench a player that slept with my wife too

Edited by bealforthewin
Link to post
Share on other sites

Casey is a s**t coach that's obsessed with his VeTeRaNs for some reason, even when they're mediocre at best on a TANKING team going nowhere. Dude just makes the most baffling lineup decisions. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In all fairness, Plumlee showed up to work and played very well with FG 4-4, FT 5-5, 16 rebs and 7 assists. 

Hard for Casey to limit his minutes and should reward Plumlee with rest for the next 3 games 😆

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Racks11479 said:

I understand they are trying to tank... but splitting minutes with Okafor???!! Are you serious?!  

Cause if you are Casey, you don't know if the player with the best plus minus (outside of cook) and playing 28 mins is actually good or not. 

Also he's not even 20 yet. That's too young.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...