NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Adalberto Mondesi 2021 Outlook

89Topps

2 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Mondesi is another great buy-low option right now. A risk, for sure....but we've seen what hes capable of when hes healthy and you may be able to find an owner who needs production NOW. I feel like a slightly above average INF/SP combo might be able to get the job done. 

Guy is likely out at least another month assuming he does not get a hang nail or paper cut and miss further time lol.  People will not give you a bag of rocks for him and even if they came up with some fantasy 5 or 6 SP, why would Mondesi's owner lock in losses?  At this point, you may as well roll with it and see where it goes because barely worthy\marginal fantasy types can usually be had on the wire or traded for on the cheap..

Mondesi is on the all-bust team for 2021 along with other notables like Buxton and Bellinger (who can't stay on the field either) and just stinking it up big time guys like Lindor, Yelich, Snell, Plesac, Rendon, B. Lowe, Soler, I. Happ, etc.  It happens every year, but this year we seem to be having an awful lot of injuries and an awful lot of name players having bad years.

2 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Guy is likely out at least another month assuming he does not get a hang nail or paper cut and miss further time lol.  People will not give you a bag of rocks for him and even if they came up with some fantasy 5 or 6 SP, why would Mondesi's owner lock in losses?  At this point, you may as well roll with it and see where it goes because barely worthy\marginal fantasy types can usually be had on the wire or traded for on the cheap..

Mondesi is on the all-bust team for 2021 along with other notables like Buxton and Bellinger (who can't stay on the field either) and just stinking it up big time guys like Lindor, Yelich, Snell, Plesac, Rendon, B. Lowe, Soler, I. Happ, etc.  It happens every year, but this year we seem to be having an awful lot of injuries and an awful lot of name players having bad years.

Plesac/Lowe/Happ aren't big time guys - teams drafted those players hoping for a bump from their ADP's;  it hasn't happened.  

I never was a Mondesi fan & certainly not where his ADP was;  dude is a one-trick pony. 

As a Mondesi owner I wouldn't sell at peanuts on the dollar.  I'm invested now, and unless you don't need the SB's I would not trade him in a cut bait type deal.  I'm going to hope I get a couple of months out of him and he nets me 20 or so SB's by seasons end.  

Snippet from The Athletic (inside injuries mailbag) article today:

"Mondesi has had a rough 2021 season so far. He initially missed two months with a right oblique strain, then he landed on the IL with a hamstring strain. Now he is back on the IL for a third time with a left oblique strain. Based on what we know so far, our algorithm is considering this a moderate oblique strain. Mondesi’s Optimal Recovery Time is five weeks."

"Swinging the bat places a lot of stress on all of the abdominal muscles, so the recovery from an oblique strain can be very slow. This is the case even for mild strains. It does sound like Mondesi caught this one earlier than when he injured the opposite side during spring training, but you never really know. Only the MRI can truly show how severe the injury is. If the Royals want to get any production out of Mondesi later in the season they need to take a very cautious approach to his recovery. There is clearly something he is doing that is causing him to keep getting injured, so his mechanics and strength need to be evaluated so he can avoid another injury like this."

On 6/22/2021 at 9:18 AM, IlliniGuy76 said:

Plesac/Lowe/Happ aren't big time guys - teams drafted those players hoping for a bump from their ADP's;  it hasn't happened.  

I never was a Mondesi fan & certainly not where his ADP was;  dude is a one-trick pony

Inaccurate and such a tired and lazy statement. Granted he's always hurt, so getting to 550 ABs will be a feat, but his 550AB average from 2018-2021 is .269-86-19-75-57. How is that a one-trick pony? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

Inaccurate and such a tired and lazy statement. Granted he's always hurt, so getting to 550 ABs will be a feat, but his 550AB average from 2018-2021 is .269-86-19-75-57. How is that a one-trick pony? 

He's going to be 26 this year & hasn't been able to play more than 102 games in a season - that's part of his narrative.  Sure if you extrapolate averages out for a full season it gives a much more impressive fantasy picture - but we have absolutely zero clue if he gets to 550 at-bats he'd remotely come close to those numbers. He's got a twinge of power, he does drive some players home but his one thing he has ++ on is stolen bases is more so my point.

4 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Snippet from The Athletic (inside injuries mailbag) article today:

"Mondesi has had a rough 2021 season so far. He initially missed two months with a right oblique strain, then he landed on the IL with a hamstring strain. Now he is back on the IL for a third time with a left oblique strain. Based on what we know so far, our algorithm is considering this a moderate oblique strain. Mondesi’s Optimal Recovery Time is five weeks."

"Swinging the bat places a lot of stress on all of the abdominal muscles, so the recovery from an oblique strain can be very slow. This is the case even for mild strains. It does sound like Mondesi caught this one earlier than when he injured the opposite side during spring training, but you never really know. Only the MRI can truly show how severe the injury is. If the Royals want to get any production out of Mondesi later in the season they need to take a very cautious approach to his recovery. There is clearly something he is doing that is causing him to keep getting injured, so his mechanics and strength need to be evaluated so he can avoid another injury like this."

This brings up what I’ve  been wondering. I haven’t seen anything about the actual injury except “he felt something” and tha it’s the opposite oblique. Does anyone know anything about the MRI results? I’ve looked around but couldn’t find any details, especially that of what grade strain it is.

My read on this latest injury is that he just felt tightness, but it was enough for KC to IL him given his history. Similar to Bellinger’s recent hammy scare. 

I expect him back in 2 weeks. Sounds idiotic i know but i just dont think this one is nearly as bad as spring training. 

24 minutes ago, Braves16 said:

My read on this latest injury is that he just felt tightness, but it was enough for KC to IL him given his history. Similar to Bellinger’s recent hammy scare. 

I expect him back in 2 weeks. Sounds idiotic i know but i just dont think this one is nearly as bad as spring training. 

This guy will never come back earlier than expected.

5 minutes ago, billofwash said:

This guy will never come back earlier than expected.

Oh i hear you. And i’m sure he’ll prove me wrong. Just a hunch from the few tea leaves scattered about. 

11 hours ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

He's going to be 26 this year & hasn't been able to play more than 102 games in a season - that's part of his narrative.  Sure if you extrapolate averages out for a full season it gives a much more impressive fantasy picture - but we have absolutely zero clue if he gets to 550 at-bats he'd remotely come close to those numbers. He's got a twinge of power, he does drive some players home but his one thing he has ++ on is stolen bases is more so my point.

If that’s your point, then say that rather than misrepresenting him with the moniker of “one-trick pony”. He has double-digit power, scores runs, drives in a fair number of runs, and has a BA that won’t hurt. He’s not a one-trick pony, injury-prone or not. 

7 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

If that’s your point, then say that rather than misrepresenting him with the moniker of “one-trick pony”. He has double-digit power, scores runs, drives in a fair number of runs, and has a BA that won’t hurt. He’s not a one-trick pony, injury-prone or not. 

I won't argue with you on Mondesi;  he doesn't have a good BA (.254 career).  To better state my point:  Without the speed (which he does have in abundance) he'd be someone you'd plug into a lineup off the WW/spot start when someone isn't in the lineup.

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, jdizzle said:

Is he coming back anytime soon? Running out of IL spots don't have room for him to waste away

Still difficult to say with any precision. He injured the other oblique on the 20th of June. According to injury experts his optimal recovery time (which is usually conservative) was 5 weeks. So we are getting very close to that. He started fielding grounders on July 7th and then began swinging on July 16th. The injury is complicating, being that he is a switch hitter. He also will need time to get his legs and esp timing back at the plate.

I hope to begin being able to use him by the 2nd or 3rd scoring period of Aug...anything before would be great.

I also don't think there are many better IL 'stashes' at this point, his upside is obviously tremendous.

18 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Still difficult to say with any precision. He injured the other oblique on the 20th of June. According to injury experts his optimal recovery time (which is usually conservative) was 5 weeks. So we are getting very close to that. He started fielding grounders on July 7th and then began swinging on July 16th. The injury is complicating, being that he is a switch hitter. He also will need time to get his legs and esp timing back at the plate.

I hope to begin being able to use him by the 2nd or 3rd scoring period of Aug...anything before would be great.

I also don't think there are many better IL 'stashes' at this point, his upside is obviously tremendous.

Ya I don't want to get to Bench Coach on here but I have Civale, Buxton, Mondesi and now Castellanos. Only have room for 3 IL so trying to make a decision. Even if Mondesi does come back in that 2nd or 3rd week of August is he going to be running wild and stealing a bunch of bases or will they be careful with him? My thoughts are even if he does come back he will not be running as much

With fantasy league trade deadlines quickly approaching, I might have to trade this guy and hope someone desperate for SB's will pay some sort of premium for him.   He's literally the only guy who can steal 10 bases or more in a month and help you in other categories.  Someone in a tight SB race might be willing to pay for that so anyone of you who have held for this long may want to consider it.  What would help is a bit of good news like "rehab assignment on tap".  Some positive news could up the ante.  

What a wasted pick.  Never again.