NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ronald Jones 2021 Outlook

RoJo had a decent 2020 season despite Fournette cutting into his workload. He finished with 978 rushing yards, 7 rush TDs, and looked like the superior runner between the tackles with a 5.1 YPC.  With Fournette looking to get paid and being near the bottom of the Bucs free agency priority list it looks like RoJo is in for a bigger workload in 2021. Do we expect him to get run into the ground in the final year of his rookie deal? Will Fournette be back to make it a true committee or will it be a repeat of last year but with Vaughn in place of Fournette? Maybe Brady convinces James White to come to the Bucs and take all of the RB targets.

In 2020, Jones caught a grand total of 2 passes in the final 7 games he played in. He also dropped 5 passes in 2020 and finished with a dropped pass percentage of 11.9%. He is clearly not “the guy” as far as the passing game goes in Tampa Bay. He was just fine running the ball but in a Brady led offense his snap share will be quite limited since he is a lousy receiver.

I fully expect the Bucs to attempt to bring in James White who we already know has an excellent rapport with Brady and is superb in both catching the ball and in pass protection, the two areas where Jones struggles mightily. I’m pretty sure Fournette is going to be gone but a duo of Jones/White would be just fine for IRL purposes but would suck for fantasy.

In any event, we’re not drafting Jones in PPR leagues until way later than his ADP will be anyway. I think he’s going to be overdrafted next year.

I like what I saw from Jones in 2020.  Guy has come a long ways.  He looks better than 4net, runs with that high leg energy that reminds me of Ricky Waters.  Shows pop I didn't think he had.  The real question with him isn't if TB pairs him with a partner, it's whom do they get?  The range goes from anyone on the roster (including 4net) through any ring chaser you could theoretically get for a 1 year vet minimum. 

February forcast: I think 2021 will see him improve on a per touch basis, yet he will see less work due to the impending FA signing. The RoJo truthers will have to wait for 2022 to see if he finally gets to meet his potential, at TB or somewhere else.

• 1 month later...

Not good news for RoJo's 2021 value...

Josina Anderson reports Leonard Fournette is re-signing with the Bucs. 

It's a one-year deal worth up to $4 million, as Tampa continues to keep its championship roster intact. The Bucs, in fact, are the first team in the free agency era to bring back all 22 starters from their Super Bowl winning team. Chris Carson returning to Seattle last week eliminated a potential landing spot for Fournette, who received attention from a few teams. It's surprising that Fournette, 26, didn't get a longer-term offer from a bottom dwelling team. Lombardi Lenny functioned as the Bucs' lead back during their Super Bowl run last season while Ronald Jones struggled with a quad injury. Fournette would figure to be a (slight) favorite to start 2021 as the Bucs' No. 1 back, but a healthy Jones caps his upside. Tampa's backfield split will be a topic of ample discussion in fantasy circles this summer. Unless Fournette or Jones miss time in 2021, both will likely be frustrating fantasy options. 

Mar 26, 2021, 11:29 AM ET
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, The G Man said:

Not good news for RoJo's 2021 value...

Yep. To be honest I don't think any of Rojo, Lenny, or Vaughn will give consistent RB2 value barring injury. Probably just going to take a flier on Vaughn.

Officially off this wagon, hes burned people more times than not, had this guy in my fantasy playoff elimination challenge, absolutely worthless.

one of those if you start him you get a goose egg, but goes off when you bench him

Fournette re-signing is an ominous portent, indeed.  Ronald Jones is now a Zero RB wing and a prayer.