NBC Sports Edge Forums

That irk you.  

"(insert player here) can be had in the right deal."  ...Yes, literally anyone can be had "in the right deal"

"I'm looking for an upgrade at (insert position)."  ... all you need is to find someone looking to downgrade. 

"I'm looking to get younger"  ...aren't we all

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
47 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

That irk you.  

"(insert player here) can be had in the right deal."  ...Yes, literally anyone can be had "in the right deal"

"I'm looking for an upgrade at (insert position)."  ... all you need is to find someone looking to downgrade. 

"I'm looking to get younger"  ...aren't we all

Upgrade at a position isnt that bad, I could have a terrible 2b and say im looking to upgrade, presumably im upgrading myself at 2b to upgrade them elsewhere.  I hate when people announe they are "looking to consolidate" and get a really good player for a platter of lesser stuff, that's a "aren't we all situation", but it does make sense for some teams to give up a lot for for less pieces sometimes.

The younger one is annoying, because especially in a dynasty league its just assumed older players can be had for less and younger studs are worth more. It's just a fundamental understanding of keeper/dynasty leagues. 

For me a big pet peeve is always "I want X, but not sure he's going to get enough at bats".  This is how baseball works. If you think a player is really good and not getting full time at bats, you will either be proven right, he will get more at bats, or he will suck, in which case he will not and you wouldn't want that player anyway.  If you like a player in a dynasty league and he's a backup or blocked at the major league level, just get him anyway. Just make sure he's good. Everything works itself out. Or you're wrong and he's not good.  Conversely, just because someone is getting full time AB, doesn't mean you should want him (outside of the deep deep leagues)

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 3

Both "over-rated" and "under-rated" are kind of stupid. They're very generally a little useful, but they're entirely irrelevant when you're discussing a player's value with another person. You basically end up making some message board commenter a stand-in for every fantasy writer hack you have a grudge against.

Edited by Hanghow

Just in general when a player says they want to acquire a certain position or stat, but then in trade negotiations says they can't get worse at any other stat at the same time.

• Like 1

“Any interest in PLAYER X?”

“Nope”

note: by PLAYER X I’m not referring to a scrub WW player

if an owner reaches out to you to open trade discussion, don’t be brusque and a jerk at the same time

GOAT.

It's become so overused. Everyone and everything is the GOAT now. It's even been watered down from literally greatest of all time to just anyone good. It's the new participation trophy for anyone successful. 

It's transformed from Greatest Of All Time to Good Or Actively Trying.

Edited by StevieStats
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Grinner said:

Auction draft. It's either an auction, or a draft.

Disagree...Draft is either an auction draft or a snake draft.

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, StevieStats said:

GOAT.

It's become so overused. Everyone and everything is the GOAT now. It's even been watered down from literally greatest of all time to just anyone good. It's the new participation trophy for anyone successful. 

It's transformed from Greatest Of All Time to Good Or Actively Trying.

Goat post ^

• Haha 1

trying to make a deal with a mid tier or struggling team.

you send offer including upgrades or pieces that they need bat/arm. say ur interested in these players. heres how i value them. send counter of who you are interested in and we can go from there. check inbox. reject with no counter or note.

well thanks for donating ur money i guess.

Not so much a phrase but I hate when teams just send offers that make no sense to (trigger word) "UPGRADE" my team.  For instance I'm sitting in 1st or 2nd place and Story goes on the DL for maybe a month.  I send out a few offers for some replacement type SS but nothing game changing.  Get countered with sending my best player Freddie Freeman for Jean Segura, Christian Walker, Nathan Eovaldi, and some other WW fodder.  "Oh but your getting 4 for 1".  I usually always respond or counter a trade but when I get these offers I know there is no point.  

4 hours ago, knifeparty said:

"Oh but your getting 4 for 1".  I usually always respond or counter a trade but when I get these offers I know there is no point.  

These kind of offers always make me laugh. "You're getting multiple players for one!" Yes, and there's also this thing called limited roster spots which means I need to drop players to make this trade work, and half of the players I'd be dropping are better than the heaping pile of garbage being offered.

• Like 2