NBC Sports Edge Forums

1 hour ago, Grinner said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft_(sports)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auction

The word 'auction' is either a noun or a verb, not an adjective

Well you are assuming it is being used as an adjective; rather than Auction Draft itself being a noun similar to how Auction Bridge is for cards.

The draft aspect is the rolling list for nominating players, especially once you get down to the remaining teams having only $1 per slot and you automatically win your nominations. 

In an auction the auctioneer presents items for bid, not the bidders... in an auction draft the bidders select what player is to be bid on via nominations with opening bids so in essence it is different than just an auction and that's where the draft aspect comes in.

I'd say "auction draft" is a noun much like "auction bridge".

My defense of this probably makes you hate it more 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, StevieStats said:

Well you are assuming it is being used as an adjective; rather than Auction Draft itself being a noun similar to how Auction Bridge is for cards.

The draft aspect is the rolling list for nominating players, especially once you get down to the remaining teams having only $1 per slot and you automatically win your nominations. 

In an auction the auctioneer presents items for bid, not the bidders... in an auction draft the bidders select what player is to be bid on via nominations with opening bids so in essence it is different than just an auction and that's where the draft aspect comes in.

I'd say "auction draft" is a noun much like "auction bridge".

My defense of this probably makes you hate it more 😂😂

It does! Damn you! 😠 😭 😄 🤝

Edited by Grinner
On 2/15/2021 at 5:56 PM, StevieStats said:

When people talk about underlying metrics regressing to the league average... Well yeah if everyone did that all players would be the same!

Hah, really enjoyed this one. My man Stevie nailed this on the head. It is particularly irksome when people reference statistical concepts incorrectly. 

"Underlying metrics regressing to the league average" is such a buzzword-laden nonsense phrase. And the idea that regression towards the mean indicates that a player projects to be league average moving forward has to be an intentionally obtuse explanation of the concept.