NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jonathan Taylor 2021 Outlook

2020 was a "figuring it out year" for Taylor, I believe.  Derrick Henry had a couple of those before Henry really hit his stride.

The advantage of Taylor over some of the other top backs is that he is not coming off of an injury like Barkley and McCaffrey, and he does not have two full seasons of tremendous wear and tear on him as Henry does.

Wentz was horrible last year but will still be an upgrade over the tattered remnants of Phillip Rivers, whereas Kamara is losing Brees and possibly downgrading to Taysom Hill.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

2020 was a "figuring it out year" for Taylor, I believe.  Derrick Henry had a couple of those before Henry really hit his stride.

The advantage of Taylor over some of the other top backs is that he is not coming off of an injury like Barkley and McCaffrey, and he does not have two full seasons of tremendous wear and tear on him as Henry does.

Wentz was horrible last year but will still be an upgrade over the tattered remnants of Phillip Rivers, whereas Kamara is losing Brees and possibly downgrading to Taysom Hill.

Colts fan myself. Hope the loss of Costanzo isn't that bad besides that O-lines in tact and pretty darn good.

Rivers exceeded expectations last year and played better than Wentz so I wouldnt call wents a upgrade untill he can prove he's back to form.

Taylor is a top 10rb imo and can easily finish top 5 i'd draft him over Barkley 100%

• Like 5

I think you could make the argument Taylor should be drafted above Barkley but I still think his adp is a bit rich for my liking. I am having more of a difficult time picking him or Akers. I dont think Mack will eat into his workload but Hines most definitely will. And as old RIvers was last year, it requires quite a big leap of faith to think that Wentz will be infinitely better for the offense. They have a ton of mouths to feed at wr which puts them in a great position to move the ball but maybe not at the volume people are expecting Taylor to see at his adp.

1 hour ago, Potty said:

I think you could make the argument Taylor should be drafted above Barkley but I still think his adp is a bit rich for my liking. I am having more of a difficult time picking him or Akers. I dont think Mack will eat into his workload but Hines most definitely will. And as old RIvers was last year, it requires quite a big leap of faith to think that Wentz will be infinitely better for the offense. They have a ton of mouths to feed at wr which puts them in a great position to move the ball but maybe not at the volume people are expecting Taylor to see at his adp.

I don't think they have a single WR on their roster that commands a certain number of targets...

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Potty said:

Losing Rivers hurts Taylor's receiving upside.

1 hour ago, ChrisChinMcCaffrey said:

People are saying Wentz is an upgrade to Rivers?

Did you watch Phillip Rivers play last season?

• Like 2

People acting like Phillip Rivers 2020 was anywhere close to his prime, the pop gun arm literally wanted to dump it off to Hines for 90% of the plays. Wentz is a dumpster fire but could potentially be a massive upgrade to Uncle Phil, at least he can throw it 20+ yards.

• Like 1

People acting like Phillip Rivers 2020 was anywhere close to his prime, the pop gun arm literally wanted to dump it off to Hines for 90% of the plays. Wentz is a dumpster fire but could potentially be a massive upgrade to Uncle Phil, at least he can throw it 20+ yards.

9 minutes ago, smeeze said:

6 hours ago, ChrisChinMcCaffrey said:

People are saying Wentz is an upgrade to Rivers?

Wentz is essentially boom/bust to this offense. Either he returns to form or elevates the offense or he sinks it.

16 minutes ago, smeeze said:

I agree with the deep ball 100% and he wasn't prime Rivers but he was still good enough to lead the Colts to a 11-5 record and finished his career on a high note after his last season in SD/LA.

Rivers' play last season with Reich is the ONLY reason i have optimism that Wentz can potentially turn it around.

Taylor did most of his damage down the stretch capping the reg season with a 200 yard game and finished last yr in my league as the RB 7, i'm pretty sure he finished third in total rushing yards. Being the unquestioned starter from the get go, having a full offseason and potentially a rejuvinated Wentz has me pretty bullish on Taylor. The Sky's the Limit. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, smeeze said:

No one is acting like Rivers was in prime, but it's a little naive to assume that Wentz will definitely be better when he was NOT last year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smeeze said:

I personally doubt it.  I'd take fossilized Rivers over Wentz.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kdko said:

Ya if you want a caretaker for your offense, if you want fantasy points you take Wentz (or anyone willing to throw 20+ yards downfield) at this point.

30 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Ya if you want a caretaker for your offense, if you want fantasy points you take Wentz (or anyone willing to throw 20+ yards downfield) at this point.

Rivers is similar to Brees in thats he's excellent for RB production, especially for receiving. Its just a toss up on which version of Wentz we'll see. In theory he should be good behind this line and reunited with Reich but he might just be a bad QB at this point.

19 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

Surprised how so many seem down on JT , this dude is going to run away with points this year 

I dont think people are down on him just his draft price.

14 hours ago, kdko said:

Colts were limited with Rivers, as good as he was...and he was pretty solid. His arm strength and drop speed limited their play action and made it easier to stack the box. I enjoyed watching his entire last season, but if Reich can get Carson playing within himself and his system and if he stays healthy... he's a higher upside option for Indy. Just needs to process and get rid of the ball a little quicker and hopefully a little more accurate. Folks were way down on Rivers when he went to Indy as well.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2021 at 2:57 PM, smeeze said:

"I'm gonna go get the papers, get the papers."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/10/2021 at 3:14 PM, NInsko said:

I agree with the deep ball 100% and he wasn't prime Rivers but he was still good enough to lead the Colts to a 11-5 record and finished his career on a high note after his last season in SD/LA.

Rivers' play last season with Reich is the ONLY reason i have optimism that Wentz can potentially turn it around.

Taylor did most of his damage down the stretch capping the reg season with a 200 yard game and finished last yr in my league as the RB 7, i'm pretty sure he finished third in total rushing yards. Being the unquestioned starter from the get go, having a full offseason and potentially a rejuvinated Wentz has me pretty bullish on Taylor. The Sky's the Limit. 

Spot on.

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2021 at 3:11 PM, Evincar said:

Wentz is essentially boom/bust to this offense. Either he returns to form or elevates the offense or he sinks it.

And if he struggles or if he is middling what are the Colts gonna do??

Feed Taylor.

It's a win win win. QB don't matter, either it takes pressure off Taylor or they run the offense through him more.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 6:28 PM, Savatage79 said:

Surprised how so many seem down on JT , this dude is going to run away with points this year 

I’m not a huge fan personally, but anytime you draft a first round RB you’re just hoping for good health and opportunity. I think he’s a fine pick at his ADP.