Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Tejay Antone 2021 Outlook


meh2
 Share

Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

So for those of us who only care if he’s an SP, is his value back to zilch?


Meh. Only until a Reds SP gets injured - happens all the time.

 

Be patient. This lottery ticket is worth it

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How is it possible that the Reds plan to go into the season involves having De Leon and Hoffman as their 4 and 5 starters but aren’t trying to stretch out Antone? Lorenzen is hurt. The other two have been absolutely brutal with 8.00+ ERA’s in the Spring and Antone was lights the F out. He had a one week setback and can’t be allowed to get back into the rotation? They also announced that they have three closers not named Antone. So what gives??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

How is it possible that the Reds plan to go into the season involves having De Leon and Hoffman as their 4 and 5 starters but aren’t trying to stretch out Antone? Lorenzen is hurt. The other two have been absolutely brutal with 8.00+ ERA’s in the Spring and Antone was lights the F out. He had a one week setback and can’t be allowed to get back into the rotation? They also announced that they have three closers not named Antone. So what gives??

They think Antone can be a dominant bullpen weapon and don’t want to mess up a sure thing.  Historically Antone has done better before seeing guys the third time around

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

How is it possible that the Reds plan to go into the season involves having De Leon and Hoffman as their 4 and 5 starters but aren’t trying to stretch out Antone? Lorenzen is hurt. The other two have been absolutely brutal with 8.00+ ERA’s in the Spring and Antone was lights the F out. He had a one week setback and can’t be allowed to get back into the rotation? They also announced that they have three closers not named Antone. So what gives??

They're playing the long game with Tejay this season. He's had two nagging injuries and hasn't thrown much over the last few weeks. I think he's only had 1 or 2 bullpen sessions recently. He also wasn't go to throw a ton of innings this year anyway so I suspect their plan is to see how he does coming out of the bullpen over the first two weeks and then reevaluate. As the season progresses his role could change depending on how well he's throwing and what the state of the rest of the pitching staff looks like. I suspect he's going to be dropped in a lot of leagues relatively soon as impatient owners get the urge to move on to the next shiny object.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Fbaseballgod said:

They think Antone can be a dominant bullpen weapon and don’t want to mess up a sure thing.  Historically Antone has done better before seeing guys the third time around

What good is that if 40% of your starting rotation is a dumpster fire? With Garrett, Sims, Doolittle they seem to have high leverage innings covered. Other guys like Cionel Perez and Cam Bedrosian made the pen with great camps. How important is it to have Antone as a long reliever with two gas cans in the rotation? I guess that question will answer itself once Antone has to put out one of their fires in the second inning and gets his work in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

They think Antone can be a dominant bullpen weapon and don’t want to mess up a sure thing.  Historically Antone has done better before seeing guys the third time around

I’ve heard plenty of that but Garrett and Sims are already lethal bullpen arms. Antone has evolved quite a bit like Mahle did and his stuff will play later in games because it’s nasty. He can’t get better at pitching later if he doesn’t get the chance. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Antone hasn't pitched in weeks and had back to back injuries, so he isn't exactly the healthiest arm they have right now.

I think after a month or two of getting into a groove, he will eventually get another shot at starting.

Edited by Hellgrammite
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, meh2 said:

They're playing the long game with Tejay this season. He's had two nagging injuries and hasn't thrown much over the last few weeks. I think he's only had 1 or 2 bullpen sessions recently. He also wasn't go to throw a ton of innings this year anyway so I suspect their plan is to see how he does coming out of the bullpen over the first two weeks and then reevaluate. As the season progresses his role could change depending on how well he's throwing and what the state of the rest of the pitching staff looks like. I suspect he's going to be dropped in a lot of leagues relatively soon as impatient owners get the urge to move on to the next shiny object.


good point. I made that mistake with Burnes last year. I think if you believe in this guy you may need to be prepared to be uber patient all year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, 5catstud said:


good point. I made that mistake with Burnes last year. I think if you believe in this guy you may need to be prepared to be uber patient all year

Easy. I was patient with Buxton for several years!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Wytchclt55 said:

The news of Lorenzen's setback with his shoulder could be positive for Antone owners...

Take it FWIW, CBS is naming Jeff Hoffman and Jose De Leon as fill in replacements for Lorenzen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you’re still holding, be patient. If he’s sitting on your wire now is a good time to stash him. His future role is still uncertain and likely won’t be decided for a couple weeks but he could end up as a great asset if he gets a shot at the rotation or the closer gig. Even if he stays as a multi inning reliever he should still deliver great ratios and an elite k/9.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The plan has always seemingly been to start him in the pen to manage his innings and transition him into a starter mid season. I know Luis Castillo and Mahle are awesome, but inning for inning, antone might be their best pitcher which is kinda crazy to say. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I grabbed him a few days ago thinking he'd be a nice RP play in my SP spot. No way am I dropping after seeing him pitch last night.

I will say, he did seem to lose a bit of steam in the 9th inning when he got near 50 pitches. He was so close to the 4 inning save, but fell an one out short.

But either way, he was dominant and he's worth hanging onto even as a relief pitcher.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

I grabbed him a few days ago thinking he'd be a nice RP play in my SP spot. No way am I dropping after seeing him pitch last night.

I will say, he did seem to lose a bit of steam in the 9th inning when he got near 50 pitches. He was so close to the 4 inning save, but fell an one out short.

But either way, he was dominant and he's worth hanging onto even as a relief pitcher.

I watched too. I liked how quick he worked. He was on the rubber waiting for the batter throughout. I’d like to see a little more of him out of the stretch. His full wind up is a thing of beauty.

He threw 1 ball down the middle to Longoria in his previous at bat. Just missed a HR. That’s why they yanked him at 3 2/3 I believe. Fully onboard with this gem.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, NoHablaIngles said:

The plan has always seemingly been to start him in the pen to manage his innings and transition him into a starter mid season. I know Luis Castillo and Mahle are awesome, but inning for inning, antone might be their best pitcher which is kinda crazy to say. 

What kind of innings total you projecting? He threw 140 in 2019 so i could see that kind of pace from July on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bluntbros said:

I watched too. I liked how quick he worked. He was on the rubber waiting for the batter throughout. I’d like to see a little more of him out of the stretch. His full wind up is a thing of beauty.

He threw 1 ball down the middle to Longoria in his previous at bat. Just missed a HR. That’s why they yanked him at 3 2/3 I believe. Fully onboard with this gem.

He ran out of gas. His velocity was dropping in the 9th.

Possibly some insight into why he's not starting, maybe they dont feel he can hold up and consistently pitch 6+ innings. His numbers as a starter weren't as impressive as reliever last year. I still think he should start even if he's a 5 inning guy, the arm is so good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NoHablaIngles said:

He ran out of gas. His velocity was dropping in the 9th.

Possibly some insight into why he's not starting, maybe they don't feel he can hold up and consistently pitch 6+ innings. His numbers as a starter weren't as impressive as reliever last year. I still think he should start even if he's a 5 inning guy, the arm is so good. 

I noticed this too, he was hovering in the high 90s early on, and by the 9th was more in the mid-low 90s.  With starters going 5ip more often, he might be more valuable as an elite RP that can get you to the 9th inning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...