NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tejay Antone 2021 Outlook

52 minutes ago, Hellgrammite said:

I noticed this too, he was hovering in the high 90s early on, and by the 9th was more in the mid-low 90s.  With starters going 5ip more often, he might be more valuable as an elite RP that can get you to the 9th inning.

I didn't notice any low 90s, just 94.  That said, you could be right...or maybe he just needs to build arm strength back up after the brief injury and afterwards where he stopped throwing starter type innings in spring training.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm starting to dive in to my research for the upcoming season and Tejay Antone is standing out as my favorite last round dart throw. He's currently sporting an NFBC ADP of 359 and I believe he has tr

I'm not following the Reds situation but few teams actually go to 6 man rotations for any length of time, injury is key. I'm looking at RR and Wade Miley and Michael Lorenzen penciled in as the 4

He pitched 4 electric IP today, striking out 5 in 3.2 and one BB   Don't care what league you're in. Hang onto this guy... he has major skills

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, EWV1 said:

I didn't notice any low 90s, just 94.  That said, you could be right...or maybe he just needs to build arm strength back up after the brief injury and afterwards where he stopped throwing starter type innings in spring training.

He actually had 2 minor injuries at the end of spring training that caused him to shutdown and build back up. He threw 21 pitches on 4/4, 32 pitches on 4/9, and then 60 pitches last night so it’s not surprising at all that he was gassed in that last inning. I’m guessing his next outing won’t come until this weekend and it’ll be telling what the Reds’ intentions are with him depending on how many pitches he throws. If he gets another big workload I’d imagine they’re looking at him for the 5th spot in the rotation. If not, I think he’ll stick as a multi inning reliever until an injury happens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 4/13/2021 at 1:56 PM, meh2 said:

He actually had 2 minor injuries at the end of spring training that caused him to shutdown and build back up. He threw 21 pitches on 4/4, 32 pitches on 4/9, and then 60 pitches last night so it’s not surprising at all that he was gassed in that last inning. I’m guessing his next outing won’t come until this weekend and it’ll be telling what the Reds’ intentions are with him depending on how many pitches he throws. If he gets another big workload I’d imagine they’re looking at him for the 5th spot in the rotation. If not, I think he’ll stick as a multi inning reliever until an injury happens.

Michael Lorenzen was just transferred to the 60 day IL. The only roadblock now seems to be hoffman. I bet we see a lot of him during the Gray start as he likely won't get more than 80 pitches.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Michael Lorenzen was just transferred to the 60 day IL. The only roadblock now seems to be hoffman. I bet we see a lot of him during the Gray start as he likely won't get more than 80 pitches.

Yeah, I picked him up when I saw Gray was starting. My opponent has Gray and I figure if he doesn't get blown to pieces, Sonny might get 4, maybe 5 innings at most.  In that case, Antone would be in line for the win or the HLD.  If Gray gets destroyed, then I get the chance for a few quality innings out of Antone. Bottom line: I think he pitches tomorrow. Would love a vulture win. 

Edited by CardiacDO
On 4/13/2021 at 8:15 AM, einstein2u said:

Just made room.  Get a start and the price will skyrocket 

Get a start, and his numbers won’t be as sparkly. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

I mean I don’t really care whether he pitches 4 incredible innings out of “relief” or “start” at this point.  I just like him “starting” because it gives him potential to go as long as he’s rolling 

3 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I mean I don’t really care whether he pitches 4 incredible innings out of “relief” or “start” at this point.  I just like him “starting” because it gives him potential to go as long as he’s rolling 

If I was an owner, my preference would be a couple of 2-3 inning relief appearances each week. Let him go all out for those appearances and accumulate Ks and have great ratios...get a few Ws along the way :)

10 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Yeah, selfishly I'd prefer him  in role where he gets some holds, great ratios and a high K rate. He seems to be very effective in that role where he only goes a few innings. That way he doesn't get exposed to going through the lineups 3 times. 

Edited by CardiacDO
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I know that's been the narrative earlier in the thread, but he also has just started his career. Let's see how things will shake out for him at least.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Picard56 said:

I know that's been the narrative earlier in the thread, but he also has just started his career. Let's see how things will shake out for him at least.

I think that’s the narrative for any SP who moved to the pen, puts up good numbers, and is eye-balling a move back to the rotation. 

8 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I think that’s the narrative for any SP who moved to the pen, puts up good numbers, and is eye-balling a move back to the rotation. 

You are assuming that he isn't trying to improve and his static in trying to improve his play. The third time through the order was small sample size from last year. This is only his second year in the majors. All I am saying is that his story isn't finished about what kind of role best suits him.

2 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

You are assuming that he isn't trying to improve and his static in trying to improve his play. The third time through the order was small sample size from last year. This is only his second year in the majors. All I am saying is that his story isn't finished about what kind of role best suits him.

You’re assuming I’m assuming :). I’m not assuming anything, but am skeptical that he can maintain 2-3 inning performances over 6-7 innings. And I don’t believe I’m out-of-line in doing so. There seems to be this general thought that he’ll be able to maintain his K rate and ratios with a move to the rotation, and I think that’s unreasonable. Can he be good and well-suited to the rotation? Sure, but all I initially said was his SP numbers won’t be as sparkly as his RP numbers. I think it’s hard to argue against that. 

Just now, Flyman75 said:

You’re assuming I’m assuming :). I’m not assuming anything, but am skeptical that he can maintain 2-3 inning performances over 6-7 innings. And I don’t believe I’m out-of-line in doing so. There seems to be this general thought that he’ll be able to maintain his K rate and ratios with a move to the rotation, and I think that’s unreasonable. Can he be good and well-suited to the rotation? Sure, but all I initially said was his SP numbers won’t be as sparkly as his RP numbers. I think it’s hard to argue against that. 

I don't even dispel that notion at all. He's obviously gonna have some regression as a starter when he pitches more innings, but I don't think the regression will be that bad.

5 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

I don't even dispel that notion at all. He's obviously gonna have some regression as a starter when he pitches more innings, but I don't think the regression will be that bad.

Well we’re in agreement then :)

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

He barely even pitched after gray, only 1.2 innings. 

21 pitches. FFS, if this what he gets every 5 days, he's not rosterable. Hopefully he pitches tomorrow. 

5 minutes ago, CardiacDO said:

21 pitches. FFS, if this what he gets every 5 days, he's not rosterable. Hopefully he pitches tomorrow. 

Had the same thought. Might have to just keep on eye on him in case he eventually does get a start with him on the waiver wire. Not really valuable in no hold leagues with this kind of output

• Like 1

To be fair the Reds were down a run when Antone's turn in the batting order came up.  A runner had just got on before him as well so I am assuming they were going for the win in the 6th.  Sucks but this is the NL unfortunately.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, CardiacDO said:

Patience!

Those of us who own him paid for the potential and he’s shown that every step of the way so far.  He will get his innings, just have to be a little patient and wait for his opportunity.  I don’t think we can be disappointed with 8.1 dominant innings so far.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, CardiacDO said:

If you started him in a weekly league this week he gave you 5.1 ip, 0.00 ERA, 0.187 WHIP, and 8k’s. I’m not sure how that’s “not rosterable.” As a previous poster pointed out he was taken out for a pinch hitter because Cincy was down a run. He’s probably not pitching today but if you start him again in a weekly league next week he should be available on Monday and good for another 5+ innings next week. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, BackyardBaseball said:

Patience!

Those of us who own him paid for the potential and he’s shown that every step of the way so far.  He will get his innings, just have to be a little patient and wait for his opportunity.  I don’t think we can be disappointed with 8.1 dominant innings so far.

We live in a society where we want results NOW! I see so much of this on here.

I bought, starting and enjoying his ratios.

• Like 1

Ok, before I become the popular pile on villian of this thread let me explain myself. He is rosterable with those ratios. For my purposes, I picked him up as a potential piggyback to Gray (talked about it above). Just seems like a guy where I won’t know how he is going to be deployed on a daily basis. So for me,  I just don’t have room for a guy with his role.  But I’m not here to debate whether or not he’s a good pitcher or has great stuff. He is and he does. Too bad the Red aren’t playing for my fantasy baseball team. 

Right, he

is rosterable with those ratios. For my purposes, I picked him up as a potential piggyback to Gray (talked about it above). Just seems like a guy where I won’t know how he is going to be deployed on a daily basis. So for me, with the best pitching in the league through 2 weeks, I just don’t have room for a guy with his role.  But I’m not here to debate whether or not he’s a good pitcher or has great stuff. He is and he does. Too bad the Red aren’t playing for my fantasy baseball team. 

purposes

Edited by CardiacDO
1 minute ago, CardiacDO said:

Ok, before I become the popular pile on villian of this thread (god , you know, what you people do on this board)  let me explain myself. He is rosterable with those ratios. For my purposes, I picked him up as a potential piggyback to Gray (talked about it above). Just seems like a guy where I won’t know how he is going to be deployed on a daily basis. So for me,  I just don’t have room for a guy with his role.  But I’m not here to debate whether or not he’s a good pitcher or has great stuff. He is and he does. Too bad the Red aren’t playing for my fantasy baseball team. 

Right, he

is rosterable with those ratios. For my purposes, I picked him up as a potential piggyback to Gray (talked about it above). Just seems like a guy where I won’t know how he is going to be deployed on a daily basis. So for me, with the best pitching in the league through 2 weeks, I just don’t have room for a guy with his role.  But I’m not here to debate whether or not he’s a good pitcher or has great stuff. He is and he does. Too bad the Red aren’t playing for my fantasy baseball team. 

purposes

Appreciate the clarity here. Not all leagues are created equal. Redraft dailies? I agree, probably not worth rostering. Non-keeper Weeklies? Debatable. Keeper/Dynasties? You may have missed the train.

Just now, charger_ss24 said:

Appreciate the clarity here. Not all leagues are created equal. Redraft dailies? I agree, probably not worth rostering. Non-keeper Weeklies? Debatable. Keeper/Dynasties? You may have missed the train.

Yeah, play in a daily.  I love the guy and how he pitches . Selfishly I wish he would be put in one of the late innings roles as he is a better pitcher than the 3 they have. So I'm just going to shut up now, keep him rostered and enjoy his insane ratios. . Like you all stated, 5 innings a week with those are pretty useful in most formats.  

• Like 2