NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tejay Antone 2021 Outlook

On 4/18/2021 at 7:52 AM, CardiacDO said:

Yeah, play in a daily.  I love the guy and how he pitches . Selfishly I wish he would be put in one of the late innings roles as he is a better pitcher than the 3 they have. So I'm just going to shut up now, keep him rostered and enjoy his insane ratios. . Like you all stated, 5 innings a week with those are pretty useful in most formats.  

5 innings a week, yea, pretty valuable. But, that’s not what he’s giving us so far. Closer to 3 a week.

Anyone know if the Reds are just ramping him up?  I’d love it if he was closer to 6 innings a week, even in this long relief type role he’s in

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm starting to dive in to my research for the upcoming season and Tejay Antone is standing out as my favorite last round dart throw. He's currently sporting an NFBC ADP of 359 and I believe he has tr

I'm not following the Reds situation but few teams actually go to 6 man rotations for any length of time, injury is key. I'm looking at RR and Wade Miley and Michael Lorenzen penciled in as the 4

He pitched 4 electric IP today, striking out 5 in 3.2 and one BB   Don't care what league you're in. Hang onto this guy... he has major skills

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

5 innings a week, yea, pretty valuable. But, that’s not what he’s giving us so far. Closer to 3 a week.

Anyone know if the Reds are just ramping him up?  I’d love it if he was closer to 6 innings a week, even in this long relief type role he’s in

He literally just pitched 5.1 innings last week. 

• Haha 1

2.1 IP last week. Still pitching very well, but the excitement of "building up innings" as a prologue to joining the rotation seems to have died down - and there's no obvious candidate for imminent replacement. By contrast, it seems Antone is desperately needed in the CIN bullpen. Outside of an injury, it doesn't seem we'll see Antone in the rotation anytime soon. Hoping for someone with greater insight to chime in and help us decide whether to hold out hope for a rotation spot.

13 minutes ago, amcsoldier said:

2.1 IP last week. Still pitching very well, but the excitement of "building up innings" as a prologue to joining the rotation seems to have died down - and there's no obvious candidate for imminent replacement. By contrast, it seems Antone is desperately needed in the CIN bullpen. Outside of an injury, it doesn't seem we'll see Antone in the rotation anytime soon. Hoping for someone with greater insight to chime in and help us decide whether to hold out hope for a rotation spot.

I mean at this point there is nothing more out there. He's in the BP for now unless an injury crops up. We have speculated that perhaps he transitions into the rotation midway through the year. We're just in a holding pattern for now.

18 minutes ago, amcsoldier said:

I think Antone isn't moving away from the bullpen anytime soon. If Amir Garrett and others weren't performing as poorly, maybe they'd have the confidence to move him away from later innings, but he is their #1 weapon there. That said, I am definitely holding onto him. They seem to only use him when they've got the lead, and perhaps there's a chance they'll start giving him multi-inning save opportunities.

We'll see how they use him tonight or tomorrow, as he hasn't pitched since Apri 21st. I would prefer higher usage as he only pitched 2.1 innings last week.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy
11 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

the underutillization at this point is bordering on malpractice.  He's the best reds pitcher by stuff

They just got swept by the Cards and were trailing late in every game. He was warming in the top of the 8th Saturday night when they were trailing 2-0. If the Reds scored 2 or 3 he would’ve come in in the bottom of the inning and I believe he would’ve finished the game. I’ve had him all year in my lineup and the value has been there since his ratios are so good. He’s not a must hold though if you have more pressing issues to fill.

1 minute ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Just casually shuts down the Dodgers for 3 innings to get the win

Tonight he wasn't as sharp as I've seen him in the past, but that was a gutsy performance against the best team in MLB. 2 walks, 2 HBP and 3ks...it wasn't easy but he got it done. I love this role for him. 

Just now, CardiacDO said:

Tonight he wasn't as sharp as I've seen him in the past, but that was a gutsy performance against the best team in MLB. 2 walks, 2 HBP and 3ks...it wasn't easy but he got it done. I love this role for him. 

Yeah he didn’t have his best stuff and he did 3 scoreless including inheriting that runner on second.  Super impressive 

• Like 2

Reds were up 8-4 heading into 9th. Reds bullpen got the score up to 8-6 and loaded the bases (including Lucas Sims walking three). Antone comes in and gets the one out save. First of his career.

Maybe it might give David Bell some ideas? (ie closer) Still, I'd rather he remain a multi inning weapon, but saves would certainly be nice if he's SP eligible in your league.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

He's still got value as a guy to get good ratios and sprinkle in some saves. Sims is probably the best bet for saves in Cincy, but both Antone and Garrett will get some saves.

The only thing Amir Garrett deserves to get is demoted to the minors. 

55 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

He's still got value as a guy to get good ratios and sprinkle in some saves. Sims is probably the best bet for saves in Cincy, but both Antone and Garrett will get some saves.

I don’t think there is a “best bet” for saves in Cincy. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

He gave up 3 runs and everyone runs to abandon him? Okay 

I play in a K/BB league. So i have one rule for my relievers, not to walk people.  A starter under three is bad enough, a reliever under three is not playable. He just doesn't have it right now, even in the outing against the Dodgers he was flirting with a lot of 3 ball counts. He needs to be much more efficient with his pitches. Also, something is in the water with that bullpen, everyone in the Reds pen turns into a total dumpster fire once they get anointed closer. 

And the track record just isn't there to hold. I'll take my chance with Whitlock, the guy for whom I dumped him 

Edited by CardiacDO