NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Tejay Antone 2021 Outlook

meh2

On 5/1/2021 at 4:32 AM, meh2 said:

Currently sitting first in all of baseball (min 10ip) with a CSW% of 38.4!

Update a month and a few days later: still first in all of baseball (min 20ip) and still sitting at 38.4. The Reds could have an interesting trade chip at the deadline if they decided to make him available. I don’t think they will since he’s under control for 5 more years but he’d bring back quite a haul if they did.

What is the long term (past this season) outlook on Antone?  Have him in a full dynasty and trying to gauge his value. 

His minors numbers scream regression if moved back to an SP role and his 3 pitch mix profiles better as a RP.  He's been absolutely lights out so maybe he's a long term back end arm?  Thoughts? 

40 minutes ago, sauceman11 said:

What's the deal with Tejay? Bell wouldn't disclose to the media why he didn't pitch in yesterday's game...with Gray hitting the IL, is it happening?!?

Have a feeling it is… either that or calling up Lodolo. Or they will be using an opener and keeping Tejay handy as a PLR.

Edited by StartYourStuds

1 hour ago, sauceman11 said:

What's the deal with Tejay? Bell wouldn't disclose to the media why he didn't pitch in yesterday's game...with Gray hitting the IL, is it happening?!?

Behind one door you have a likely serious injury, one that required more testing before Bell was comfortable talking to the media about it (TJ anyone?)

Behind the other door you have the coveted move to SP that we’ve wanted all season.  

Really nervous about today.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Behind one door you have a likely serious injury, one that required more testing before Bell was comfortable talking to the media about it (TJ anyone?)

Behind the other door you have the coveted move to SP that we’ve wanted all season.  

I am actually hearing he wasn't even in uniform, which I cannot confirm 100%,  just seeing that quoted from RotoBaller.  Why would David Bell want to wait a day to discuss why he was unavailable? It seem like it would be either:

A. waiting for more details (test results).  Could be COVID related or just minor shoulder inflammation.  Could also be a serious injury, but usually with something like TJ you would see some sort of sign during the previous outing when they are pitching max effort.  It's been since Sunday since he last pitched and he only threw 6 pitches, all sliders.  I know he warmed up in the bullpen the day before yesterday preparing to go into the game if Sims wasn't able to clean up.

B. undecided on rotation/bullpen plans

C. Personal matters / family emergency

If Tejay is injured then I would assume Tony Santillan or Lodolo will get the ball, but this is quite the mystery.

Edited by StartYourStuds
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I don’t feel good about this at all. At the very least it’s given me even more disdain for David Bell, which I didn’t think was possible.

7 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I don’t feel good about this at all. At the very least it’s given me even more disdain for David Bell, which I didn’t think was possible.

Yeah pretty much where I am at too. All the CV-19 stuff has given these coaches more space to be more sneaky with disclosing info, like it is so important to not lose that .00001% competitive edge. I can't imagine Antone is near stretched enough to really be a reasonable starting option (for our games) any time soon.

42 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yeah pretty much where I am at too. All the CV-19 stuff has given these coaches more space to be more sneaky with disclosing info, like it is so important to not lose that .00001% competitive edge. I can't imagine Antone is near stretched enough to really be a reasonable starting option (for our games) any time soon.

Well, not to give hope but antone is capable of pitching 2-3 innings on a couple days rest already.  He also hasn’t pitched since the 6th so at least in theory he could be ready to go 5ish on the 13th if they wanted 

The news is coming a day or two after Sonny Gray went down. Obviously Antone is an option for the rotation but maybe internally, they're having a tough time with it, because it would leave their already terrible bullpen in even worse shape, but then they also might not want to risk screwing with the development of one of their top prospects.

If we are looking for pessimism, Antone hadn't pitched since the 6th and after the rain delay would have been the perfect time to bring him in for 3-4 innings. But obviously they didn't.

Best case scenario is likely that there's some kind of covid/family issue.

47 minutes ago, pierceNKC said:

anybody heard anything here?

No news yet.

Unrelated, but with all the recent news I’m wondering if the Tejay Antone breakout story was sponsored by

image.jpeg.92c5a12359a11451c6c5eb99fb252c84.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, StartYourStuds said:

It is indeed peculiar timing for some forearm inflammation to pop up out of no where.

Don’t get me wrong, i think he’s legitimately injured. I’m just wondering if that explains how he achieved a 99th percentile FB spin rate and 95th percentile CB spin rate that appeared essentially out of nowhere last year. Either way, I’m still holding and hoping for the best, but I won’t be rushing to reinsert him back into my lineups until I see his spin rates his first couple outings back.

• Like 1

(2 hrs ago) Antone (forearm) has been traveling with the Reds on their current road trip and throwing before games, but probably won't be ready to return from the injured list when first eligible on Friday, Bobby Nightengale of The Cincinnati Enquirer reports.

Reds manager David Bell suggested that the delay in Antone's return would be measured in terms of days. "I'm still hopeful that he comes back while we're in San Diego," Bell said. "The way his days lined up for bullpens and everything, I don't think it's going to be Friday."