NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tejay Antone 2021 Outlook

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm starting to dive in to my research for the upcoming season and Tejay Antone is standing out as my favorite last round dart throw. He's currently sporting an NFBC ADP of 359 and I believe he has tr

Back today and got the win after letting a couple of Sims’ inherited runners score. That’s the good news. The bad news? Sinker spin rate was down 206 rpms. Curveball spin rate was down 306 r

I'm not following the Reds situation but few teams actually go to 6 man rotations for any length of time, injury is key. I'm looking at RR and Wade Miley and Michael Lorenzen penciled in as the 4

Posted Images

Back today and got the win after letting a couple of Sims’ inherited runners score. That’s the good news. The bad news?

Sinker spin rate was down 206 rpms.

Curveball spin rate was down 306 rpms.

Slider spin rate was down 192 rpms.

I think he can still be an effective reliever without the sticky stuff (allegedly) but I’m not sure we see the elite numbers that he was putting up earlier in the year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
16 hours ago, meh2 said:

Back today and got the win after letting a couple of Sims’ inherited runners score. That’s the good news. The bad news?

Sinker spin rate was down 206 rpms.

Curveball spin rate was down 306 rpms.

Slider spin rate was down 192 rpms.

I think he can still be an effective reliever without the sticky stuff (allegedly) but I’m not sure we see the elite numbers that he was putting up earlier in the year.

It was his first game back…I’m more interested in if he can wrestle the closer role from sims and his elite 5+ era

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Has anyone heard any recent news of Antone shifting to the rotation at some point this year? 

He was always a candidate for the rotation, but given the state of the Reds bullpen this year, I think Antone is needed in the pen more than in the rotation. 

1 hour ago, pan55 said:

He was always a candidate for the rotation, but given the state of the Reds bullpen this year, I think Antone is needed in the pen more than in the rotation. 

That plus his recent forearm injury may keep him in the pen -- as I assume that shorter outings are seen as less stressful on the arm/elbow.  I wish he was going back to the rotation.

19 hours ago, EWV1 said:

That plus his recent forearm injury may keep him in the pen -- as I assume that shorter outings are seen as less stressful on the arm/elbow.  I wish he was going back to the rotation.

He’s the closer now, or at least the #1 option to close until Sims comes back.

27 minutes ago, Braves16 said:

Perhaps they envision him as a traditional closer that can make several straight appearances rather than multi-innings only a couple times per week. 

If that's the case, any ideas why they haven't done it yet? It's not like Sims going down suddenly opens up a shot at the closer's role - it's been ripe for the taking all season and they've kept him in the fireman role.

I don’t understand any of this. He’s the best reliever they have. Would be one of their best SP’s. But yet, his most important role is to pitch in this random role where he sometimes pitches a couple innings, sometimes pitches an inning. Sometimes pitches 4-5 innings a week. If that was a truly critical role, wouldn’t teams be throwing $15-20MM a year at people doing this job? But they just don’t. So I just don’t buy it as the most important role. SP’s and closers are the most important. Especially SP’s. If your rotation sucks the bullpen doesn’t matter. 

Antone’s spin rate was down 317rpms on his slider and over 200 rpms on his fastball and curveball. He got hit hard tonight. I think either he’s been using the sticky stuff (most likely, imo) or he’s still not fully recovered from his injury or both. Most likely I’m benching him next week to see what happens, but the conductor of the Tejay Antone hype train is highly concerned.

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Antone’s spin rate was down 317rpms on his slider and over 200 rpms on his fastball and curveball. He got hit hard tonight. I think either he’s been using the sticky stuff (most likely, imo) or he’s still not fully recovered from his injury or both. Most likely I’m benching him next week to see what happens, but the conductor of the Tejay Antone hype train is highly concerned.

Between this information from your previous post and the fact they've refused to plug him in the closer role despite having multiple chances to do so have left me really lukewarm about our chances of him taking the job and running with it. I'd probably sell him right now to someone really wanting saves and willing to pay to speculate.

• Like 2

I watched him tonight.   Honestly, he pitched very similarly to previous outings- in the sense that he had his classic mix of mistakes and unhittable pitches.  The differences was that in the past, his mistakes were also quite unhittable because of the movement.  He's gonna have to locate better to be as dominant, though that fastball and curveball are still quite nice pitches

4 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

I don’t understand any of this. He’s the best reliever they have. Would be one of their best SP’s. But yet, his most important role is to pitch in this random role where he sometimes pitches a couple innings, sometimes pitches an inning. Sometimes pitches 4-5 innings a week. If that was a truly critical role, wouldn’t teams be throwing $15-20MM a year at people doing this job? But they just don’t. So I just don’t buy it as the most important role. SP’s and closers are the most important. Especially SP’s. If your rotation sucks the bullpen doesn’t matter. 

The CL is not really the most important role in the bullpen anymore.  More and more teams are learning this and going away from the traditional closer.

10 hours ago, meh2 said:

I believe he had some of the highest spin rates in baseball, 'the king of spin.' I didn't want to make any accusations when he went on the IL, but it was such a phantom injury and David Bell's hesitancy to disclose info at the time was strange.

Still this is an obvious opportunity to become the Reds closer with Sims out. It's too bad he's facing the Braves, Padres and Cubs over the next week or so.