Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Luis Patino 2021 Outlook


Recommended Posts

Top 20 prospect, who made his debut at the age of 20 in 2020, pitching out of the bullpen for the Padres, with less than stellar results.  Centerpiece in Snell trade with TB.  It looks like TAM will have to hold him down until almost end of year to get more control, but also seems like they could use his electric arm in the majors, maybe getting close to 100 IP.  I think he has a solid year in that limited role with 2022 being a full breakout.

What do we see for Patino this year?  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully solid to dominant minor league starts followed by a second half call up. I will keep him locked in as a minor leaguer all year regardless in my dynasty league.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
  • Luis Patino will make his Rays debut in Sunday's game against the Blue Jays.

    Patino has been added to the team's taxi squad and will reportedly be activated to make his Rays debut in tandem with scheduled starter Josh Fleming during the team's series finale against the Blue Jays on Sunday. The hard-throwing 21-year-old righty made 11 appearances (one start) with the Padres last season. Given his tremendous strikeout upside, he's worth a speculative roster spot for fantasy managers in deeper mixed leagues.

    Apr 24, 2021, 2:15 PM ET
     
  •  
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, cornerback said:

is this permanent? or just this one start and the back down?

This is what I'm wondering also. Apparently he looked really good so might have to just make the add now and see what happens. Maybe he sticks around and gradually build up the pitch count. Although with the way TB does things I can definitely see him just in an opener/bullpen role if he sticks around too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, rasto21585 said:

Another relief appearance today. Will he start or is going to be in the bullpen all year?

Yarborough has been terrible so they may have to make a move on him soon. However, in this current role Patino is looking like the Yarborough of a few years ago with better Ks, as he projects to vulture a decent amount of wins as a piggyback reliever. I'm starting to think he's going to have a lot of value, with immense upside to possibly move into the rotation at some point.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2021 at 9:14 PM, Cdub2k said:

Calling up a top prospect to pitch as "an opener" pisses me off immensely. 

I mean you should've been sufficiently pissed off that he was traded to TB in the first place

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cs3 said:

I mean you should've been sufficiently pissed off that he was traded to TB in the first place

He would have been in the bullpen back in SD.  The good news was SD traded him.  The bad news was they traded him to TB.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one who loves the trade to TB for him? Maybe not in re-draft, but in dynasty, there is no better pitching program. Patino might have one of the best arms in baseball. He's like a shorter Glasnow but an extra pitch in change-up.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

Am I the only one who loves the trade to TB for him? Maybe not in re-draft, but in dynasty, there is no better pitching program. Patino might have one of the best arms in baseball. He's like a shorter Glasnow but an extra pitch in change-up.

I have him in dynasty and wish the hell he went to any other team than maybe the Coors Rockies.  He already is coached up and MLB-ready.  (SD does a darn good job too).  Now he needs to PLAY as a traditional STARTER and not an opener/bulker/reliever/whatever as a Cash-made Frankenstein hybrid.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NoHablaIngles said:

Am I the only one who loves the trade to TB for him? Maybe not in re-draft, but in dynasty, there is no better pitching program. Patino might have one of the best arms in baseball. He's like a shorter Glasnow but an extra pitch in change-up.

I drafted him last year as a Starting Pitcher prospect on an up and coming San Diego squad. Now he is an “Opener” or whatever the hell they want to call it on a small market club in the AL East. I don’t like it one bit and I’m thinking about dumping him off my dynasty salary cap team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

I drafted him last year as a Starting Pitcher prospect on an up and coming San Diego squad. Now he is an “Opener” or whatever the hell they want to call it on a small market club in the AL East. I don’t like it one bit and I’m thinking about dumping him off my dynasty salary cap team. 

Im frustrated as well but the kid looks great - is there no hope that he gets stretched out as a legit starter?  This year may be tough but I would think hes a buy in dynasty.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Big Tuna said:

Im frustrated as well but the kid looks great - is there no hope that he gets stretched out as a legit starter?  This year may be tough but I would think hes a buy in dynasty.....

And it's a reminder that MLB managers don't give a crap about fantasy baseball. Cash is looking out for his team and its success. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

And it's a reminder that MLB managers don't give a crap about fantasy baseball. Cash is looking out for his team and its success. 

I have no doubt on that - but doesnt it benefit his team if Patino is stretched out to 6-7 innings rather than crushing his bullpen every start.....its been shown that babying workload just doesnt work - see Strasberg, Dustin May....if TJ is gonna happen its gonna happen.....

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

And it's a reminder that MLB managers don't give a crap about fantasy baseball. Cash is looking out for his team and its success. 

I don't buy that "Looking out for his team" line. You can have success with pitchers going 6+ innings. They've been doing it for over a hundred years. 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

I don't buy that "Looking out for his team" line. You can have success with pitchers going 6+ innings. They've been doing it for over a hundred years. 

 

 

I think most young pitchers will be capped at around 100 to 125 IP this year because there was no minor leagues last year.   

Tampa can be frustrating for fantasy managers but they develop pitching and win games on a shoe string budget which is really hard to do.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Not very well.

He’s good enough to get a team to the WS. And how many times have we read in these forums the reminder to the noobs and the panicky “it’s early.” 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cdub2k said:

I don't buy that "Looking out for his team" line. You can have success with pitchers going 6+ innings. They've been doing it for over a hundred years. 

 

So who’s he doing this for then? For the fun of trolling fantasy owners? He’s doing this because he feels it’s the best way for his team to win. Whether you buy it or not is immaterial. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

He’s good enough to get a team to the WS. And how many times have we read in these forums the reminder to the noobs and the panicky “it’s early.” 

I'm not panicky about Cash.  He is the most overrated manager in baseball.  The Rays made the playoffs last season despite him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...