Luis Patino 2021 Outlook

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks like he’s getting another shot on Friday….. Last 3 starts at Triple A: 15 ip, 23:4 k:bb ratio, 0.00 ERA. I’m adding but will sit it out on the road against the Jays.

Patino is a 21 Year old rookie bro lol tf

He’s locating his fastball much better now and the slider has always been filthy. Still only 21 years old too. He’s going to have to be lights out in order not to be sent back down though purely becau

• 3 weeks later...

So, Glasnow going down opens up a rotation spot.  Patino has been kept stretched out as a starter in Durham.  He struggled his first start in AAA but in last two is 9 ip, 4 h, 1 er, 12k, 1 bb

Glasnow pitched June 14; Patino's last start was June 12th

Feels like a strong candidate to be back up soon, right?

• Like 2

I agree.

Everyone is touting Shane Baz (and with good reason. His numbers have been fantastic this season) but he was just promoted to AAA yesterday while Patino has been excellent too and he's already proven himself (albeit in a small sample size) in the majors.

Patino has earned the right to get first crack at that spot in the rotation imo.

11 minutes ago, Whizzinator said:

So, Glasnow going down opens up a rotation spot.  Patino has been kept stretched out as a starter in Durham.  He struggled his first start in AAA but in last two is 9 ip, 4 h, 1 er, 12k, 1 bb

Glasnow pitched June 14; Patino's last start was June 12th

Feels like a strong candidate to be back up soon, right?

They need something no doubt, Idk when Archer is due back, maybe theyll stretch out McHugh? could bring Patino up as well as you mentioned.

As a fan I would like to see patino get a fair shot

Patino still hasn't pitched since June 12th. I thought surely he'd pitch tonight but checked the Durham box score, and he didn't go. Fleming is pitching for the Rays tomorrow, McClanahan is going Sunday. Mclanahan & Patino were regularly paired together earlier this year. We'll see if there are any moves.

• Like 1

Looks like he’s getting another shot on Friday…..

Last 3 starts at Triple A: 15 ip, 23:4 k:bb ratio, 0.00 ERA. I’m adding but will sit it out on the road against the Jays.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am pumped to chart him. The stuff is present and basically all of the small amount of results he's posted in AAA and the bigs are pretty sweet.

11 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

Will he be a legit starter or an opener?

He's been stretched out down in AAA so he should be a 5 inning starter, probably chart a similar course to McClanahan in terms of pitch limits, ramping up to go 6+ eventually. The fact that they were willing to deploy both Wacha and McHugh while trailing in yesterday's blowout game tells me they are trying to get those guys more adept at pitching on shorter rest/stints. This leads me to believe they will give Patino and Baz a true starter type role, as they are heavily taxed and still trying to make up for the loss of Glasnow. Its a decent spot for success, Patino just needs to hold up his end. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

More of a fly ball pitcher so tread carefully @ Buffalo Bisons stadium with that lineup

after that though should be solid if they let him go 5 innings consistently 

Interesting that his Velo is down a tick or two from his Padres stint in the majors, makes me think the Rays were like "bro, your stuff is good, its the walks you gotta clean up, focus less on velo and you will see better results"

Edited by kmoore1521
  • Like 1

As a dynasty owner I’m glad they view this kid as a starter and not the newly developed “Opener”. I was seriously debating about dumping him in a trade 

Posted (edited)

He’s locating his fastball much better now and the slider has always been filthy. Still only 21 years old too. He’s going to have to be lights out in order not to be sent back down though purely because of service time concerns. He entered 2021 with 0.100 days of service time (due to the funky prorated factor of the shortened season last year) and has already spent 24 days on the MLB roster this year which puts him at 0.124 days of service time. That means he can only stay on the MLB roster for a maximum of 47 more days this year in order for his service clock to stay at 0.171 and not roll over to 1.000 and beyond. All teams are very careful about this but the Rays especially are. Just something to keep in mind long term.

EDIT- If he pitches so well that he forces the Rays hand into keeping him up ROS, he will cap out at 1.047 years/days of service time. Sure, the years clock will tick, but the days will still be plenty short of him hitting the Super 2 limit. So yeah, there’s a chance he stays up ROS but he’s going to have to really deliver.

Edited by Dislimb
  • Like 5
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

Damn I just realized I'm missing him by a day...why couldn't he start on Saturday when I have tickets?? I'll hope for a surprise Baz or Brujan call-up instead 🤞

Same haha I'm cool seeing Shane O'Mac tho! Maybe surprise Brujan callup for Saturday? doubt it since hes in the futures game but still a guy can dream

I wanna hear some cowbell #RaysUp

Patino shoving tomorrow night would give some nice momentum for Saturday, for fantasy very iffy id start him though, fly balls CARRY at Sahlen Field. As stated above this post as well service time could be a factor but i think they really need to keep him up

Hill - Yarbs - Shane - and then nobody, Wacha and McHugh aint it, Fleming calf strain, Archer working back still they NEED SP

Edited by kmoore1521
1 hour ago, kmoore1521 said:

Same haha I'm cool seeing Shane O'Mac tho!

He's starting tomorrow, Yarborough v. Stripling is the matchup for Saturday. 

1 hour ago, kmoore1521 said:

Patino shoving tomorrow night would give some nice momentum for Saturday, for fantasy very iffy id start him though, fly balls CARRY at Sahlen Field.

Also true, expectations should be kept to a minimum, but keep an eye on how the Jays hit tomorrow, because I felt confident in Kikuchi today and he dominated them, and they feel like they're about to go in a mini-funk until George Springer decides to get his timing going. If the weather is like today I'd be fine with Patino starting.

18 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

He's starting tomorrow, Yarborough v. Stripling is the matchup for Saturday. 

Nah its Patino tonight, Shane Tomorrow, Yarbs Sunday

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

Any indication if he'll be a regular starter?  A 4 inning only starter?  A 4 inning piggy backer?  

All reports I have read said he was stretched out in the minors as a traditional starter - expect 5 IP

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rays manager Kevin Cash told reporters on Friday that Luis Patino is a "full go" for Friday's start against the Blue Jays.

The 21-year-old hurler won't be functioning as an opener in this one and could work as many as six or seven innings in this one depending on how he's doing. Patino has been outstanding at Triple-A Durham this season, posting a 2.21 ERA and 29/5 K/BB ratio across 20 1/3 innings.