Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Luis Patino 2021 Outlook


svdude
 Share

Recommended Posts

Mixed bag in my opinion. He didn't pitch poorly at all, but the slider was just not there... he didn't have any weapons to put anyone away today. The high fastball, and down/away slider have shown to be whiffy pitches for him before so hopefully he can correct that for the next game.... just too many 0-2, 1-2 counts he let go to waste.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So what's the deal with the Tampa rotation moving forward?  Is this kid going to get a serious crack at securing a starting gig for the ROS?   They just traded Rich Hill to the Mets which clears a spot.  On the injury front, Glasnow is up in the air with the elbow, but obviously he would be a lock if he's healthy.    Then there's Archer who is on a rehab and close to returning.  Right now they have:

1, Yarborough

2, Flemming

3, McLanahan

4, Wacha

5, * Patino

I would assume Archer will be a starter when he returns, and bar an injury, Patino would be the odd man out?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The fact they have him stretched out this much already leans me to think he's firmly in there, assuming he performs well enough. It may be a bumpy ride for fantasy owners, that division has matchups to fade at all times, but they aren't looking for more than 4-5 from Wacha & Fleming. Archer is returning from something that almost never goes well for pitchers, and they'll have to treat him the way they were handling Rich Hill. After Yarborough, they may lean on Patino as much as any other arm on that staff. Still, the overall depth they have does lend itself towards playing matchups, and I could see them pairing Wacha and McHugh/Fleming & Archer for example, to fill those 4th and 5th spots. I guess I'm hoping Patino is the emerging 3rd guy, but he needs a strong outing next turn to confirm it. I think McLanahan is their #2 at this point, if the playoffs started tomorrow. Not a very fearsome rotation for a WS contender, moreso now without Hill's experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still think they’re going to try to trade for another SP. The trade for Cruz doesn’t make sense if they’re just going to sit on their hands for the rest of the week.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Dislimb said:

I still think they’re going to try to trade for another SP. The trade for Cruz doesn’t make sense if they’re just going to sit on their hands for the rest of the week.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did.  A reunion with Morton if the Braves sell seems like a logical fit.  I also wonder if they would pay a little more for someone who has an additional year of control.  Would Marquez or Gibson make sense for them?  I'm not a believer in Gibson personally, but Marquez has proven to be good playing in Coors.  He'd be a nice get for any team imo.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if they did.  A reunion with Morton if the Braves sell seems like a logical fit.  I also wonder if they would pay a little more for someone who has an additional year of control.  Would Marquez or Gibson make sense for them?  I'm not a believer in Gibson personally, but Marquez has proven to be good playing in Coors.  He'd be a nice get for any team imo.

I think they’d be fine with just an expiring rental since they’ll have so many more available arms next year: Glasnow and McKay (seems like people forgot about him) will be healthy and they’ll still have McClanahan, Fleming and of course Patino. Shane Baz isn’t far away from the big team either. Plus it seems like they always find an undervalued veteran starter or two to sign year after year.

Either way, it looks like Patino is going to stick around with the big team for now. I think they could use him out of the bullpen like they did with David Price in his rookie year once they are in the playoffs. He certainly has the stuff. Of course that will all depend on how he performs in the regular season going forward. If he starts to play like the top prospect that he is, maybe he’ll force their hand. Here’s hoping anyway!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dicka24 said:

So what's the deal with the Tampa rotation moving forward?  Is this kid going to get a serious crack at securing a starting gig for the ROS?   They just traded Rich Hill to the Mets which clears a spot.  On the injury front, Glasnow is up in the air with the elbow, but obviously he would be a lock if he's healthy.    Then there's Archer who is on a rehab and close to returning.  Right now they have:

1, Yarborough

2, Flemming

3, McLanahan

4, Wacha

5, * Patino

I would assume Archer will be a starter when he returns, and bar an injury, Patino would be the odd man out?

They traded Snell for Patino.  He is there to stay.  Wacha sucks. Yarborough is more an Opener or Bulker and so is Flemming.  They could become a tag team tandem maybe.  And Shane Baz is probably better than Wacha already without having pitched in the Majors yet. 

Archer is crap.  Yes it is personal.  I once owned him  when he set some sort of record for loses that season.  Never again will he be allowed on any roster of mine.  Don't know why they traded back for him.

And yeah what Dislimb said.  There is a guy called Glasnow.  Don't know his ETA back though.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

They traded Snell for Patino.  He is there to stay.  Wacha sucks. Yarborough is more an Opener or Bulker and so is Flemming.  They could become a tag team tandem maybe.  And Shane Baz is probably better than Wacha already without having pitched in the Majors yet.  Archer is crap.  Don't know why they traded back for him.

They didn’t trade back for Archer. They signed him in free agency back in February.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sold that Glasnow is going to return this year, or next, due to his injury.  The history with elbows is checkered at best and ultimately most have TJ before its said and done.  Maybe, or more so hopefully, the kid comes back totally fine but it very much possible that he doesn't.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dislimb said:

Now that’s the result I’ve been waiting for. Six shutout innings against a great offensive full of sluggers. 👍

I love you, Dislimb - music to my ears as a despondent Yankee fan

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Dislimb said:

Now that’s the result I’ve been waiting for. Six shutout innings against a great offensive full of sluggers. 👍

Didn't start him but love to see this - think he could be very big down the stretch.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

97 pitches today, training wheels are off

Pony Up GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

98 pitches his last outing too. He shouldn’t have a problem getting us 5+ IP each turn. Also, he’s not going to ever have to follow an opener either. Rays love to do that, but not likely with a prospect of his pedigree.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kmoore1521 said:

97 pitches today, training wheels are off

Pony Up GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Just keep finding a way to append this GIF to any future post.  TIA.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...