NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Shohei Ohtani 2021 Outlook

What Ohtani is doing is incredible and I hope it continues for the sake of the sport but him playing in the all-star game AND HR derby has me worried.

6 hours ago, Ecofolux said:

What Ohtani is doing is incredible and I hope it continues for the sake of the sport but him playing in the all-star game AND HR derby has me worried.

MLB has to hype up and market Ohtani has much has they can. Ohtani will be the only drawing card they have to get anyone to actually watch any of this 2 day all star circus show.  I myself hope Ohtani walks  the 1st 4 guys he faces and they pull him out in his pitching apperance, goes out 1st rd in HR derby with a low hr total and is 0-2 with 2 wiffs in the game LOL.  I just want to see how MLB spins it if he don't do so well. I also hope nobody buys any ASG related  merch and they are left with boxes of stuff just laying around unsold.

15 hours ago, disasterisk said:

His ADP was 154. 

You're watching one of the most impressive seasons in professional sports and you're crying about the guy's walk rate. 

This is absolute madness. 

I'm not crying about his walk rate I am stating a fact that his Pitching is Not all that great cause his walks are high.  He had a few 5 and 6 walk games too Dang. I had little lg pitchers that didn;t walk 6 guys in 3 innings LMFAO!! I don;t own him so I love that he walks a lot of guys. Keep it up Its funny to me walk after walk with him throwing the ball all over the place not being able to throw strikes. Its Great.

Posted (edited)

At this point, I'd pay Joe Maddon to stick this guy in the outfield 5 more times.  The only drawback to this monster is the lack of flexibility him being UTI only presents. If he gets OF, he's even more valuable.  If that is even possible...

Edited by CardiacDO

Pretty much the only non-injured or non-sucking player left on my roster. Sell while you can, people, before my jinx claims him too!

6 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

This is some weird energy to have toward another grown man who plays baseball. 

yes cause no other baseball fan roots againest a player. I think Ohtani is great BUT I do want MLB to have to squrim trying to explain why he is walking everyone when they hyped him to be superman

21 minutes ago, mks said:

yes cause no other baseball fan roots againest a player. I think Ohtani is great BUT I do want MLB to have to squrim trying to explain why he is walking everyone when they hyped him to be superman

And here I thought it was because you were upset Anaheim doesn't have a retractable roof stadium.  😂

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BIGMIKE1026 said:

Oh man, that is UGLY! I will say this though... I'm rarely surprised by anything anymore, so this is pretty cool. I can't believe we're almost halfway through the season and he's got a shot at Maris' record.

None of us saw THIS coming. Just having some fun. I own him nowhere and am enjoying the show. It’s great for baseball. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

And here I thought it was because you were upset Anaheim doesn't have a retractable roof stadium.  😂

SD ANA and LAD really don;t need one since it never rains much there.  How great will it be to see other players at the ASG shine while MLB keeps hyping the greatness of 1 player. Like No other player excists other then Ohtani.

• tonycpsu locked and unlocked this topic
2 hours ago, mks said:

SD ANA and LAD really don;t need one since it never rains much there.  How great will it be to see other players at the ASG shine while MLB keeps hyping the greatness of 1 player. Like No other player excists other then Ohtani.

Golf is your friend, mks.  Go golf.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pretty big development today, Pitched to Stassi today = zero walks, 65 strikes on 89 pitches (73%)

Baseball Savant has Stassi ranked 18th for framing and Suzuki 58th (out of 60). I'd been hoping they'd make this move for the last few weeks and if this sticks it's a huge plus to Ohtani's season long pitching outlook.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stay_woke said:

Pretty big development today, Pitched to Stassi today = zero walks, 65 strikes on 89 pitches (73%)

Baseball Savant has Stassi ranked 18th for framing and Suzuki 58th (out of 60). I'd been hoping they'd make this move for the last few weeks and if this sticks it's a huge plus to Ohtani's season long pitching outlook.

I don't know what Max has to do, but he just can't seem to stay in the lineup. I owned him a couple weeks back... He was hitting great, and Joe still sat him.

Havent used my rotoworld account for years (josh hamilton in texas is my avatar).

shohei is incredible and i cant believe there are idiots in this thread arguing otherwise.

unbelievable.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

I have officially sold high on all my Ohtani stock, ultimately I was scared of a future injury being a two way player. I wish you all the best of luck. It was a hell of a ride this year. 

Mind sharing examples of your return? Not to get too BC, more so just want to see what the market is valuing him at currently.

Just now, sasnumberonefan said:

Mind sharing examples of your return? Not to get too BC, more so just want to see what the market is valuing him at currently.

Gave: Gary Sanchez/Ohtani (Pitcher) Got: Rendon/Graveman/Karinchak

Gave: Ohtani (hitter)/Wander Franco/Alex Reyes Got: Tatis/Suarez (waiver)/Hembree (waiver)

6 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Gave: Gary Sanchez/Ohtani (Pitcher) Got: Rendon/Graveman/Karinchak

Gave: Ohtani (hitter)/Wander Franco/Alex Reyes Got: Tatis/Suarez (waiver)/Hembree (waiver)

Meh Season 9 GIF by Friends - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/5/2021 at 6:16 AM, ChrisChinMcCaffrey said:

He shouldn't be selected as a pitcher to the asg. His numbers are not bad but they are not asg worthy.

This came up in the ASG thread, but I don't understand.  He's not taking up 2 roster spots, is he?  The AL team is playing down a man just so Ohtani can DH and also pitch, are they?

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 11:25 PM, mks said:

MLB has to hype up and market Ohtani has much has they can. Ohtani will be the only drawing card they have to get anyone to actually watch any of this 2 day all star circus show.  I myself hope Ohtani walks  the 1st 4 guys he faces and they pull him out in his pitching apperance, goes out 1st rd in HR derby with a low hr total and is 0-2 with 2 wiffs in the game LOL.  I just want to see how MLB spins it if he don't do so well. I also hope nobody buys any ASG related  merch and they are left with boxes of stuff just laying around unsold.

Or, ya know, you could hope to see something really cool and historic, rather than let your hatred for MLB cloud your enjoyment of the game all the time.

• Like 3

On 7/6/2021 at 11:03 AM, Backdoor Slider said:

This is some weird energy to have toward another grown man who plays baseball. 

I can't even imagine hating Major League Baseball THAT much.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2021 at 2:25 AM, mks said:

Oh wow I never saw this

This is an example of a hater @stay_woke, not a guy who has the audacity to claim he is the second most valuable player in the game (gasp) and thinks he deserves to be in the all-star game as a hitter but not a pitcher.

(No offense @mks cause I honestly don't care and I do find it funny how much people care about your opinion in this thread, like you're just one guy lol)   

Edited by Fbaseballgod

2 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Oh wow I never saw this

This is an example of a hater @stay_woke, not a guy who has the audacity to claim he is the second most valuable player in the game (gasp) and thinks he deserves to be in the all-star game as a hitter but not a pitcher.

(No offense @mks cause I honestly don't care and I do find it funny how much people care about your opinion in this thread, like you're just one guy lol)   

Again, I don’t think he’s taking up two roster spots. So him hitting AND pitching is not preventing someone else from making the team.

• Like 1