NBC Sports Edge Forums

The main drawback I see with Ohtani (the one player version) is the amount of guys who are DH/UT only eligible otherwise.  On ESPN, there's Yordan, JD Martinez, Nelson Cruz, Stanton, Franmil & Soler.  I've been targeting Yordan in mocks and really like where Cruz & Soler are going.  Basically means I would rarely start Ohtani (unless you've got 2 UT spots).

Really wish Pujols would finally go out to pasture and Ohtani could pick up 1B eligibility.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I couldn’t think of a more useless nugget of information than a player’s fantasy ranking after two games of a season.

Shohei is another player that brings FUN back to watching baseball. Of course the sport itself is fun for (presumably) us all to watch, but it's easy to get caught up in stats, or pushing for our team

If that happens ... Yahoo will probably make Othani the third.  .. Util Othani SP Othani RP Othani 

Posted Images

Just now, 89Topps said:

The main drawback I see with Ohtani (the one player version) is the amount of guys who are DH/UT only eligible otherwise.  On ESPN, there's Yordan, JD Martinez, Nelson Cruz, Stanton, Franmil & Soler.  I've been targeting Yordan in mocks and really like where Cruz & Soler are going.  Basically means I would rarely start Ohtani (unless you've got 2 UT spots).

Really wish Pujols would finally go out to pasture and Ohtani could pick up 1B eligibility.

This is a good point. I will say this. It is VERY likely that JD Martinez and Soler gain OF eligibility a few weeks into the season. Just something to keep in mind...

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I might have waited a bit longer, but I didn't pick again until 120 / 121 and didn't want to risk it. The only thing I regret is plugging up my UTIL slot so early because F.Reyes and Soler went VERY late. They were just sitting out there round after round and I had no where to play them. That's my only semi regret. 

I have Yordan as one of my keepers, and we only have 1 UTIL spot. Still going to target Ohtani, but really hopping one of them gets a position update too

1 hour ago, dicka24 said:

The talent and upside is huge.  He throws absolute gas as a SP with decent secondary pitches, and he's a monster with the bat.  The issue, or question really, is how much does he pitch and how many ABs does he get?  I think he's far more valuable in daily leagues where you can insert him on Sunday if you know he's starting, and bench him any days he's not in the lineup.  In weekly leagues he's much more of a risk, especially as an individual player.   If he is slated to start on the sunday of the week you almost can't put him into your weekly rotation if you fear getting a ZERO for that slot.  He could get bumped, there could be a rain day, etc.  I'm sure they will limit his season long innings as well.  I know they may say there are no restrictions, but we all know that immense talents like this, coming off a major injury, will tend to be protected.  I get it too.  As a hitter in a weekly you might be looking at 3 games some weeks.  I love the bat, but a 3 game week will hurt you more often than not.   

I want to draft the guy in my weekly leagues but the risks maybe outweight the talent.  It will depend on who's still available when my turn comes up.  In a daily, I'd definately jump a round or two and draft him.  The kid oozes talent and the upside on a daily, game to game basis, is huge.  He has a sluggers bat with some SB ability, and a front end of the rotation arm if he reaches his potential.  He's a great pick for where he's going in daily leagues.  He's risky in a weekly.

Right I would avoid in weekly unless it’s a 15-teamer with deep rosters. There he’s a great SP to have that you could use as a hitter if in a pinch. 

41 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

I don’t think he’d play first base. They have Walsh there. It’d be corner outfield if anything but doesn’t seem to be any reason for that to ever happen. 

Had a little $100 12 TM 5x5 Daily league I do with work mates each year last night

Ohtani is "one player" He was drafted at pick 130

Also was in a Fantrax league that draft last week, Ohtani is one player, he went 140

Having owned him in the past the challenge is working him into the lineup. At times he only would hit 4 times a week and the UTI only is a pain as it restrict roster flexibility in other places.  Also, since you don't always know when he is going to play, you have to keep a west coast bat on your bench to sub in for him when he gets out of nowhere benched.  I love his talent and production, but he's just too much frustration for me. Just not a fan of UTI only guys. 

The experiment of him hitting while pitching wouldn’t actually help his fantasy value. It would be cool, but you wouldn’t ever get those stats.

11 hours ago, 89Topps said:

The experiment of him hitting while pitching wouldn’t actually help his fantasy value. It would be cool, but you wouldn’t ever get those stats.

This might be true for Yahoo or certain platforms, but not true of all.

We use onroto and have Ohtani as one player. You can have both (and an extra bench spot) or no extra bench spot if you’d like to start at both UT and P in the same week.
So in my league, and I assume there are others, you could get those stats. And it’s a huge bump in a weekly league, where he’s no longer hitting just 4 days. 

2 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

This might be true for Yahoo or certain platforms, but not true of all.

We use onroto and have Ohtani as one player. You can have both (and an extra bench spot) or no extra bench spot if you’d like to start at both UT and P in the same week.
So in my league, and I assume there are others, you could get those stats. And it’s a huge bump in a weekly league, where he’s no longer hitting just 4 days. 

I just meant if he’s one player. He’s basically just an NL pitcher on those days he hits for himself.

Nonetheless, I rather doubt the Angels actually do that.

2 hours ago, 89Topps said:

I just meant if he’s one player. He’s basically just an NL pitcher on those days he hits for himself.

Nonetheless, I rather doubt the Angels actually do that.

I wouldn’t be so doubtful. Maddon is certainly not conventional and he makes a good point in that it’s done every day in the NL. 

17 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

If I have Ohtani in at DH in a weekly league, and he hits when he pitches still I get his hitting stats that day?

I have no idea, if he's in at DH probably, but I don't know baseball rules well enough to know if they use the pitcher at DH does it count as them forfeiting the DH and just playing like an NL team?

35 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

If I have Ohtani in at DH in a weekly league, and he hits when he pitches still I get his hitting stats that day?

Like Brock, I can't speak for certainty...but in CBS formats, I absolutely believe you would get his hitting stats if he is somehow hitting the day he is also pitching...but this is a brave new world of things we have not seen in our era, though if anyone is gonna try something along these lines, it is Joe.

15 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Like Brock, I can't speak for certainty...but in CBS formats, I absolutely believe you would get his hitting stats if he is somehow hitting the day he is also pitching...but this is a brave new world of things we have not seen in our era, though if anyone is gonna try something along these lines, it is Joe.

Ok, we use Fan Trax. Hopefully they count! That would add a few more days of hitting statistics.  If I can get 4 or 5 days of hitting statistics each week, that would help.

15 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I don't think so.

I'm in a weekly CBS league, you need to select him as a  pitcher or hitter for the week.

1 minute ago, rrrich46 said:

I don't think so.

I'm in a weekly CBS league, you need to select him as a  pitcher or hitter for the week.

Yeah, his question was if he started him as his DH/UT for the week and he was also hitting on the day he was pitching.

Feels unlikely, but if anyone is gonna do something like that (as he did in ST) it is Joe.

• Like 1

Got sho time in a weekly. Is there any chance he can be a two start pitcher this year?

Have they said they'll keep with the "Ohtani rules" of sunday pitching starts?

2 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yeah, his question was if he started him as his DH/UT for the week and he was also hitting on the day he was pitching.

Feels unlikely, but if anyone is gonna do something like that (as he did in ST) it is Joe.

I highly doubt CBS is even set up coding wise to give both batting and pitching points in the same week, let alone the same day. 

It's basically two players and you can only start one per week.

Thoughts on his first matchup pitcing against the White Sox on Sunday? Great offense, but will be without Eloy. Don't they got a little bit of swing and miss in their bats?

3 hours ago, Picard56 said:

Thoughts on his first matchup pitcing against the White Sox on Sunday? Great offense, but will be without Eloy. Don't they got a little bit of swing and miss in their bats?

Think he’s going to surprise a lot of people that’s for sure this year.  The elite stuff is there, it’s a matter of health.  If he makes a statement Sunday night on prime time Sunday night baseball , his stock will def sky rocket 🚀 especially if he hits triple digits a few times all while pitching a gem or quality start 

13 minutes ago, Brye said:

Think he’s going to surprise a lot of people that’s for sure this year.  The elite stuff is there, it’s a matter of health.  If he makes a statement Sunday night on prime time Sunday night baseball , his stock will def sky rocket 🚀 especially if he hits triple digits a few times all while pitching a gem or quality start 

Yeah I am leaning towards starting him cause I will for sure be watching that game. He's looked really good in ST so far.

6 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Yeah I am leaning towards starting him cause I will for sure be watching that game. He's looked really good in ST so far.

Yeah I’m going to start him for sure, he will put his full Arsenal on display and I think the hitters take a few weeks or a month to settle in when a season start opposed to pitchers.  Think Ohtani has a good game , 5-6 innings, 1-2 er’s and more k’s than innings pitched is the state line I’m hopeing for 

• Like 1

I might be completely wrong but I remember most of white sox line up being right handed other than grandal and moncada, and that their splits against right handers weren't as dominant as against lefties

• Like 1