NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Shohei Ohtani 2021 Outlook

7 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I love that he can be a dominant pitcher, but my DH/UT spot loves him even more.

I have him as just a pitcher in yahoo, kind of dead weight until he gets his blister thing under control. Wish I got his hitter clone as well.

On 4/14/2021 at 7:49 AM, Picard56 said:

I have him as just a pitcher in yahoo, kind of dead weight until he gets his blister thing under control. Wish I got his hitter clone as well.

If you were drafting today in Yahoo, where would you take P and H Ohtani?

5 minutes ago, OaksterDan said:

(not that you were asking me)

H - Just behing Acuna and Soto.  Just kidding... kind of?  Gotta think he'd be a top 25 pick at least though.  

P - probably 10th round in a 12 team league.

With Yahoo 2 UT spots yeah anything outside of top 50 is a steal IMO

48 minutes ago, rotoguy74 said:

If you were drafting today in Yahoo, where would you take P and H Ohtani?

Probably not cause I would’ve drafted someone like

nelson cruz or jd martinez to be in my ult spot

Shohei is another player that brings FUN back to watching baseball. Of course the sport itself is fun for (presumably) us all to watch, but it's easy to get caught up in stats, or pushing for our teams/players, etc., etc. But Ohtani is just so energetic, gives 100% whatever he's doing on the field, and looks like he's genuinely enjoying paying baseball. Whether you own him or not, like the Angels or not, he's a fun player to watch. And he seems to be very friendly as well. Humble, but still gets excited when he gets on base.

I like owning players like him in Fantasy. Makes for double the fun when watching games.

• Like 6

So, he is expected to start Tuesday. The angels have a six man rotation still I assume and they have 7 games this week. Tuesday is likely to be his only start and probably will be baby'd back into starting.... I'm guessing the hitter Ohtani has more value than the pitcher this week.

27 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

So, he is expected to start Tuesday. The angels have a six man rotation still I assume and they have 7 games this week. Tuesday is likely to be his only start and probably will be baby'd back into starting.... I'm guessing the hitter Ohtani has more value than the pitcher this week.

The only week I'd even consider him as a pitcher would be if they had a 5 game week.  Even then it would tough to use him as a pitcher over a hitter.

Just now, murraygd13 said:

The only week I'd even consider him as a pitcher would be if they had a 5 game week.  Even then it would tough to use him as a pitcher over a hitter.

I'm guessing you don't use Yahoo! Some of us just have the pitcher or the hitter cause they have clones of him 😆

• Haha 1

Ohtani got an appearance in the OF last night.  It was a blowout, and I don’t think he’s played the field since 2014 in Japan, but I recall talk of him possibly playing OF/1B (at the end of last year) and him taking some reps.  What are the chances that he gets enough time for eligibility?  The thought of using him in my 5OF leagues sounds almost as good as a bowl of Quaker Oats!  

Interesting. If he got OF eligibility that would be outstanding. Considering how they have used kid gloves with him in the past to keep him healthy, I would have a hard time seeing them let him play in the field. But maybe Maddon will go full send and just let him play ball. 

There is no way in hell they should let him play OF even semi-regularly, if they intend on him pitching also. Running into walls and banging his pitching shoulder? No thanks.

That said, Fantrax has him down for 2 starts this week. Is that correct? Got my weekly decision of what to play him as this week lol, gotta love the guy.

1 hour ago, swfcdan said:

There is no way in hell they should let him play OF even semi-regularly, if they intend on him pitching also. Running into walls and banging his pitching shoulder? No thanks.

That said, Fantrax has him down for 2 starts this week. Is that correct? Got my weekly decision of what to play him as this week lol, gotta love the guy.

Yeah haha, I’m in now way advocating for him to play in the OF. Just being selfish, dreaming of him having OF Eligibility. 

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Have they announced whether he will be hitting during his starts as a regular default action or not?

I don't think they did. That might of not had him last time just cause he was coming back from a blister and he wasn't expected to be pitching too many innings and they would have had to had their relievers bat

• tonycpsu locked and unlocked this topic